Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Latest Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Things you are tired of in the horror genre. (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63315)

Sicknero 11-12-2013 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kandarian Demon (Post 960074)
Hmm, to be honest, a good score is extremely important to me - maybe because I'm very sensitive to "scary music". Music and sounds can trigger my imagination in a way that no image will ever be able to.

What I usually don't like is rock/pop soundtracks - although they do fit in at times. But for the most part, they totally ruin the mood of the movie. Why try to get me in a party mood when I'm supposed to be scared?

I do enjoy a good film score ... especially in older movies for some reason. I just think a film should perhaps stand on it's own without the music as well. I'm not entirely sure tbh, gonna have to give this some thought lol.

On the other hand I do enjoy a good rock and roll soundtrack - I think the incongruity of such music with seeing someone hacked up/beaten/killed can be highly effective.

I guess like anything it depends on how it's done exactly and it can be overused like anything else.

zombiegummiebear 11-26-2013 04:09 PM

I think it's about time to see a horror movie where the main character doesn't run up the fucking stairs. Break a window. Bust a lamp in someone's face. And if you hide under the bed you deserve to die.

MichaelMyers 11-26-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zombiegummiebear (Post 960560)
I think it's about time to see a horror movie where the main character doesn't run up the fucking stairs. Break a window. Bust a lamp in someone's face. And if you hide under the bed you deserve to die.

Yes, stand your ground needs to be applied to horror films going forward.:cool:

The Villain 11-26-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Do horror movie's still utilize those cliches? I thought we wouldve gotten past that by now

zombiegummiebear 11-26-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Villain (Post 960574)
Do horror movie's still utilize those cliches? I thought we wouldve gotten past that by now

Pretty sure this happened in The Purgue correct me if I'm wrong.

The Villain 11-26-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zombiegummiebear (Post 960577)
Pretty sure this happened in The Purgue correct me if I'm wrong.

No you're right, i think they did all of those in that movie. A good example of why that movie sucked.

Kandarian Demon 11-26-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Hmm... I kind of see the logic in running upstairs. Ok, so maybe "logic" is the wrong word, but I think I get why someone would do that. I don't think it's an unrealistic reaction from someone who is acting in panic.

neverending 11-26-2013 10:51 PM

I was talking on FB about this the other day. Windows. It's like windows are made of solid stone or something. Bad guys rarely break a window to get inside and good guys rarely break a window to get out. It's weirding me out.

Kandarian Demon 11-27-2013 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neverending (Post 960597)
I was talking on FB about this the other day. Windows. It's like windows are made of solid stone or something. Bad guys rarely break a window to get inside and good guys rarely break a window to get out. It's weirding me out.

Haha, yes... that one annoys me too!

Another thing I don't get is, why would you stop your car on a dark forest road, leave the car and chase after the "boogeyman" that you just saw? I get why someone would try to defend their own home by going after "the monster"... but if you're in a car in the middle of nowhere?!

zombiegummiebear 11-28-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kandarian Demon (Post 960593)
Hmm... I kind of see the logic in running upstairs. Ok, so maybe "logic" is the wrong word, but I think I get why someone would do that. I don't think it's an unrealistic reaction from someone who is acting in panic.

Well considering, it would be nice to see someone really think on their feet. Like run in the basement or pretend to and trip the killer down the stairs then run the hell out the back door. Also if someone is outside or even inside I think we all know by now it's better to leave your house unlocked. Why lock the door when it may be your only exit? I mean yeah it makes people feel safe but, let's get real.

I agree with the window thing. Let's not forget recently somehow every last person has no cell phone service. And cops never believe anyone until shit hits the fan.