Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Books & Fiction Writing (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What book u reading at the moment? (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19622)

urgeok2 05-05-2008 06:40 AM

just finished Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (Blade runner)

very different from the movie. i have to admit i like the direction the movie took .. perfectly understandable - the book would have been unfilmable.

the movie took a much less cluttered, more conservative approach that i can appreciate. (they cast the movie better then i cast the book in my mind)

Vodstok 05-05-2008 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urgeok2 (Post 693530)
just finished Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (Blade runner)

very different from the movie. i have to admit i like the direction the movie took .. perfectly understandable - the book would have been unfilmable.

the movie took a much less cluttered, more conservative approach that i can appreciate. (they casted the movie better then i casted the book in my mind)

the book has a very "i went to work today, and some crap happened" feel to it, and i found it very unsatisfying.

urgeok2 05-05-2008 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vodstok (Post 693729)
the book has a very "i went to work today, and some crap happened" feel to it, and i found it very unsatisfying.

i could see what the book was getting at - and i think the movie captured it in a far simpler way (life is sacred - all life)

but the book felt .. sort of cluttered. aimless in places.

i'm sure i'm prejudiced by seeing the film first - but it's still a testament to an excellent film.

jenna26 05-06-2008 08:08 AM

Duma Key by Stephen King

Vodstok 05-07-2008 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urgeok2 (Post 693742)
i could see what the book was getting at - and i think the movie captured it in a far simpler way (life is sacred - all life)

i'm sure i'm prejudiced by seeing the film first - but it's still a testament to an excellent film.

shows ridley scott can make great a movie, even if it comes from a mediocre book.

i had the opposite feeling when i read starship troopers. I think heinlen's book was awesome, and i dont know what the hell verhoven was doing, but he and the guy who wrote robocop took the names and the general fact that there was war with "bugs" and ran off on their own wild tangent.

Doc Faustus 05-08-2008 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urgeok2 (Post 693742)

I'd like to see a happy medium between the two. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is a bit more trippy and less action centered, which I was into.

Doc Faustus 05-08-2008 01:24 PM

Dr. Identity by D. Harlan Wilson. It's a cool, surreal, humorous bizarro romp through a pop culture poisoned wasteland of a future. It's like Vonnegut on acid.

jenna26 05-10-2008 07:48 AM

T is for Trespass by Sue Grafton

SamCostello 05-11-2008 07:38 AM

I just finished Master of Reality, by John Darnielle. Darnielle is the main guy behind the band The Mountain Goats. It's his book about Black Sabbath’s album of the same name. Part of the 33 1/3 series of small books about albums. A good installment of the series, written from the perspective of a teenager locked into a residential treatment facility against his will.

Sam

Geddy 05-13-2008 01:59 PM

My First Movie By: Stephen Lowenstein.