Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Foreign Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   J-Horror SUCKS as compared to american horror (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30617)

Angra 07-23-2007 11:17 AM

The Ghost genre is to the Asian people what the Slasher genre is to the American people.

Yes, a lot of ghost movies has come out of Japan, China and Korea the last decade. And yes, a lot of them are much the same.
But thats nothing compared to the american Slasher movies that has been made durring the last 30 years.... And don't get me started about THAT horrible genre!! :mad:

Doc Faustus 07-24-2007 05:55 PM

I don't like Japanese ghost movies that much either. With the exception of Kwaidan, which is nothing like Ringu or Ju-on anyway. Remember, however, that Tetsuo, Kwaidan, Ichi the Killer and such are not as attainable as Ringu, Ju-On and others like them. Videostores don't take a gamble on true Asian cult. That's something people have to find on Netflix or purchase. But, will people purchase a movie they haven't seen in a genre that has disappointed them before? Usually no. So, these misconceptions about Asian horror will probably continue until we can assemble an Asian horror/ cult top blankety blank list. People who deprive themselves of ultraviolent Yakuza outings and kickass Sukeban flicks are sorely deprived.

Doc Faustus 07-25-2007 10:34 AM

I've cut and pasted all the Asian entries on all three top 100 lists so that newbs will be able to see how many Asian entries made it and how few are traditional ghost stories.
They are:
Koroshiya 1 (aka Ichi the Killer) (2001)
Yabu no naka no kuroneko (aka The Black Cat) (1968)
Du bi quan wang da po xue di zi (aka Master of the Flying Guillotine) (1975)
Onibaba (1964)
Lik wong (aka Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky) (1991
Perfect Blue (1996)
Kwaidan
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (2000)
Battle Royale
The Eye (Jian gui)
Ringu
Kairo (Pulse)
Audition
Art of the Devil 2 aka Long khong (2005)
Blind Beast aka Moju (1969)
Chinese Torture Chamber Story 2 aka Moon ching sap daai huk ying ji chek law ling jeung (1998)
Cure aka Kyua (1997)
Dr Lamb aka Gou yeung yi sang (1992)
Evil aka To Kako (2005)
Evil Dead Trap aka Shiryo no wana (1988)
Entrails of a Virgin aka Shojo no harawata (1986)
Guinea Pig - Devil's Experiment aka Za ginipiggu: Akuma no jikken (1985)
Guinea Pig - Flowers of Flesh & Blood aka Za ginipiggu 2: Chiniku no hana (1985)
Guinea Pig - Mermaid in the Manhole aka Za ginipiggu 4: Manhoru no naka no ningyo (1988)
Junk aka Junk: Shiryô-gari (2000)
Kichiku: Banquet of the Beasts aka Kichiku Dai Enkai (1997)
Men Behind the Sun aka Hei tai yang 731 (1988)
Red Room 2 aka Shin akai misshitsu (heya): Kowareta ningyô-tachi (2002)
Splatter: Naked Blood aka Nekeddo burâddo: Megyaku (1995)
Stacy (2001)
Suicide Club aka Jisatsu saakuru (2002)
Tetsuo the Iron Man (1989)
The Untold Story aka Baat sin faan dim ji yan yuk cha siu baau (1993)
Three…Extremes aka Saam Gaang Yi (2004)

34 entries. Over 10% of the films in the three best of categories were Asian.

Despare 07-25-2007 01:23 PM

Like I said in another thread, go out and pick up the Cinema Hound guide to Asian flicks and cult picks. It's a HUGE book with tons of Asian films from every genre. It's a decent place to start. Also, Doc took the time to make a great list of flicks, check those out. Kwaidan was probably my favorite Asian ghost movie as well, or at least tied with R-Point (which is also NOTHING like The Ring or Ju-On).

Doc Faustus 07-26-2007 09:31 AM

I'd also like to add to that list the following: Gojira, Terrifying Girl's High School:Lynch Law Classroom, Female Yakuza:Inquisition and Torture, Zeiram (it's crap, but it's fun crap) and Ninja Scroll.

Dante'sInferno 07-26-2007 11:07 AM

I don't care what kind of horror I watch.Just as long as it scares me.But none of it has.So,they failed.

The STE 07-26-2007 09:54 PM

I can't remember if I've done this analogy here or not, but Ringu was to Japan what Scream was to the US. Both came out around the same time, both revitalized a waning genre, and both spawned a bunch of sub-par retreads. That's why we got flooded with the "new, hip" Dead Teeneager movies and Asia got flooded with the ghost movies, especially with the creepy little girls.

But all J-Horror being the same? Psht. And having only seen seven of them? How about I show someone who has never seen a horror movie Kairo, Three Extremes, Audition, Kwaidan, Tetsuo The Iron Man, Suicide Circle, and Dark Water, and then show them Halloween 3, Exorcist 2, Manos: The Hands of Fate, Jason X, The Wicker Man remake, Scream of the Mummy, and Jaws: The Revenge, and then have them say which place does it better?

_nayami_ 07-28-2007 08:00 AM

j horror

j-horror doesn't always just consist of horror all the time. it takes some logical thinking as well which we Americans don't have. which is sad really. the American movies always have a dead set ending. always "oh thats what happened" but with Japanese movies the endings leave you off thinking and wondering, and it may take a few watches to understand. but since America is so lazy and want everything done for them they don't want to re watch a movie. they just want everything to be explained to them. now I'm not saying all of America is like this. there is a select few that do have an open mind and are also embarrassed to call themselves American. i have watched a lot of American movies (more than you can count) and i always find myself saying "hes the one who did it, or this is how it ends." within 20 mins. of the movie. but with the few Japanese horror movies i have seen i never find myself thinking of the ending, because its always different. like Audition for example has a completely different ending from the movie Death Note or Premonition(the Japanese version). i don't believe that Japanese movies are intended for horror, they leave the horror up to you. you have to piece the movie together yourself then figure out "oh so thats why so and so killed that person." for example the movie Cello, i had to watch that movie several times before i understood the ending, and when i did that was kind of a weird movie. now until America comes out with a decent horror movie i lose all respect toward them. :mad:

paws the great 07-28-2007 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _nayami_ (Post 617591)
I'm not saying all of America is like this. there is a select few that do have an open mind and are also embarrassed to call themselves American. :mad:

It doesn't matter where a film is made!I love films from all over the world.I have an open mind...........but I'm not embarrassed to be from the U.S.A.

Sorry!:(

_nayami_ 07-29-2007 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paws the great (Post 617633)
It doesn't matter where a film is made!I love films from all over the world.I have an open mind...........but I'm not embarrassed to be from the U.S.A.

Sorry!:(

:p i have also realized that some people are like you as well, but I'm just stating my opinion. i don't really know any other place that has rock paper scissors as a national sport. kinda embarrassing to me.