Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Compilations and Pastimes (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Godzilla 1954-2014 (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13204)

Gojira 03-22-2005 08:03 PM

The only thing I can think of thats better than a SQUID is perhaps a GIANT SQUID lol.

ClassicHorror 03-23-2005 03:43 AM

How about "The Devils Bitches?"

filmmaker2 03-23-2005 09:08 AM

Origin of the term "SQUID"

Now supposedly this term originated in the makeup effects community, and the legend goes on to say that a particular artist coined this term back in the late 80's, or thereabouts. The term has been VERY commonly used in this neck of the woods in the last fifteen years or so.

The idea behind it, supposedly, is that a "squid" was the sort of person that, if they saw a really rare magazine or photo or sculpture or some such desireable item, they would be unable to keep their hands off it, and would suddenly seem to grow tentacles that would reach out and grab for the thing. Poetically, that's what the term means.

Now at first, this was treated as an elitist term that was used to separate "fans" from "professionals." It became used as a light insult.

But this usage of the term was short-lived. Why? Because the artist types using it realized that it was essentially wrong to criticize a fan for being a fan, when in fact that very quality of fandom is what got them wherever they were professionally in the first place, in a sense. (Fandom = love for the genre(s) = what we all care about anyway, so why be condescending.)

So within a few years, the usage of the term mutated to mean "any really devoted fan." Gradually in the makeup effects community it became an emblem of pride (albeit a humorously embarassing one) to call oneself a "squid."

Gojira 03-23-2005 10:22 AM

You know Filmmaker this SQUID term is pretty cool I will be going to G-Fest in july and I will bring up the term Squid. Who knows maybe Squid used for Kaiju fans might be GiantSquid.

ClassicHorror 03-29-2005 04:43 AM

I don't like the term, it sounds too "corny", :D

I like the term fanatic alot better.

Gojira 03-29-2005 05:55 AM

I like the terms Godzilla Freak KaijuFan and KaijuMaster when it comes to Japanese Monster Movies. But most online friends and also at conventions just call me Toho54 which is also cool. I cant wait til may there will be a 1950s Scifi filmfest where I live and the guy who holds the event Jay Duncan contacted Rialto Pictures and booked Gojira 1954 as one of the featured films for the fest. Gojira a.k.a. Godzilla 1954 movie the movie will be dubbed in Japanese with english subtitles. The festival cordnator asked me if I would introduce the movie and make a small speach about it telling why and how this movie was made etc. As I said I cant wait til may 27th-29th. The movie will be showing at the Chamizal Theatre in El Paso Texas.

urgeok 03-29-2005 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2
(A "squid" is a rampant fan of something--someone who knows way more about a special topic than the avereage person is likely to. Quite often, squids love science fiction, horror, and fantasy entertainment.)

i think i fall just short of squid ...
i know a little about a lot - i'm not an expert on anything.

maybe i'm just a sea urchin or something - probably a hermit crab.

AUSTIN316426808 03-29-2005 02:42 PM

when the subject comes up my friends usually call me CEO which kinda sounds cool.

Gojira 03-29-2005 05:10 PM

Austin thats nice that your buds call you CEO but that has nothing to do with Kaiju Eiga a.k.a. Monster Movies. I am happy issue 71 of G-Fan arrived it has a great write up on Godzilla getting his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and a registration form for G-Fest 2005. Godzilla Final Wars will be showing at the Pickwick Theatre during the time of G-Fest so G-Fest guests can see the movie july 9th at 10pm. G-Fan issue has alot of other good artlicles and a review of Godzilla Final Wars when it premired in Hollywood. Well G-Fest is 100 days away but at times it feels like its only 2 weeks away.

AUSTIN316426808 03-29-2005 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gojira
Austin thats nice that your buds call you CEO but that has nothing to do with Kaiju Eiga a.k.a. Monster Movies. I am happy issue 71 of G-Fan arrived it has a great write up on Godzilla getting his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and a registration form for G-Fest 2005. Godzilla Final Wars will be showing at the Pickwick Theatre during the time of G-Fest so G-Fest guests can see the movie july 9th at 10pm. G-Fan issue has alot of other good artlicles and a review of Godzilla Final Wars when it premired in Hollywood. Well G-Fest is 100 days away but at times it feels like its only 2 weeks away.

I know it has nothing to do with Monster movies I'm not much of a monster movie fan and I know very little about them, but when we talk about movies in general they call me that because I know alot more about movies than they do. The CEO thing that they call me stands for Clint Eastwood Obsession because I'm a big fan of his I've got his movie posters,books,movies ect. so that's what it came from and they just starting calling me that whenever we talked about any kind of movie whether it would've been Clint Eastwood or otherwise.

Gojira 03-29-2005 09:04 PM

Maybe I should go to a Clint Eastwood thread and talk about Godzilla movies and talk about my Godzilla movie poster collection etc. What do you think Austin? Now getting back to the subject at hand on the cover of G-Fan issue 71 there is a picture of Godzilla and Tristars 1998 Fakezilla fighting. Thats something Kaiju fans have always wished would happen in a movie is Godzilla taking on Fakezilla and in Godzilla Final Wars the 2 monsters did fight Godzilla killed Fakezilla98 in a minute LOL Well I will see GFW for myself in july.

AUSTIN316426808 03-29-2005 09:06 PM

Quote:

Maybe I should go to a Clint Eastwood thread and talk about Godzilla movies and talk about my Godzilla movie poster collection etc. What do you think Austin? Now getting back to the subject at hand on the cover of G-Fan issue 71 there is a picture of Godzilla and Tristars 1998 Fakezilla fighting. Thats something Kaiju fans have always wished would happen in a movie is Godzilla taking on Fakezilla and in Godzilla Final Wars the 2 monsters did fight Godzilla killed Fakezilla98 in a minute LOL Well I will see GFW for myself in july.

I said what I said because the subject had changed from Godzilla to that squid bs.

Gojira 03-29-2005 09:16 PM

I found the whole Squid concept very intersting and there are alot of squids in the Godzilla fandom. Seen that Godzilla is a giant monster perhaps Kaiju fans or Godzilla fans can expand on the term squid to Giant squids. As far as I know this is still a thread about Godzilla the sunject has not changed so feel free to post about Godzilla and anything you might have heard.

AUSTIN316426808 03-29-2005 09:20 PM

I was saying that the subject had currently changed, for about 5 or 6 posts all anybody mentioned was something about the squid term. I know the overall thread topic is Godzilla.

you're real touchy about this Godzilla stuff.

ClassicHorror 03-30-2005 05:11 AM

Quote:

Chill Gojira, its just a thread.
I thought you said that you already saw Godzilla Final Wars....

Gojira 03-30-2005 05:57 AM

Hi ClassicHorror no I have not seen Godzilla Final Wars if you read my older posts you will see I have never said that I have. Alot of my friends saw the Godzilla Final Wars world premier at Graumans Chinese Theatre in Hollywood last november 29th . I was hoping Godzilla Final Wars would be booked at the Pickwick Theatre in july this year so I could see it then and atend G-Fest at the same time. Looks like it will seen the movie has been booked by Jd Lees. For any Godzilla fans out in California Godzilla Final Wars has been booked at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood june 24th-29th so you can catch it then.

filmmaker2 03-30-2005 12:34 PM

I'm sure I forgot to mention, by the way, but maybe I did, that I saw both "Monster Zero" ("Invasion of the Astros") and "Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster" projected at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood a few months ago. Two of the special effects technicians from these films were there and were very warmly greeted by a very warm and enthusiastic crowd. They both looked to be in their 70's or 80's, and the audience just loved them.

One of them shared an anecdote about how he used a jackhammer to smash a huge hole in the floor of one of Toho's stages......so that he could build a set that allowed the P1 rocket in Monster Zero to rise out of the ground. The studio ceiling was not high enough to allow the building of an elevated set, so he had to extend the set into the ground because he needed the space. He was screamed at for this by some Toho executive, and Tsuburaya was standing nearby, laughing hysterically that the technician had caused so much trouble for the purpose of getting the shot in the can.

This was probably the best time I've had at the movies in quite a while. Wow, I had always wanted to see some old Godzilla films on the big screen. Previous to this, I had only seen "Godzilla 1985" and "Godzilla 2000" on the big screen.

Gojira 03-30-2005 05:33 PM

Filmmaker2 I think the Egyptian Theatre will be showing the new Ultraman movie and a few old Toho classics like KingKong Escapes 1967 and Matango a.k.a. Attack of the Mushroom People 1963. I think all the movies will be subtitled in english so none of the movies will be deleted. I think Henshinonline has info on june showings at the Egyptian theatre in Hollywood at http://henshinonline.com/ I have been asked to introduce the original 1954 Gojira movie for an upcoming 1950s scifi filmfest here where I live. Gojira a.k.a. Godzilla I think the audence might find what I have to say about the 1954 classic intersting and eyeopening as many movie goers and scifi/horror fans may not know the hows and whys Godzilla was made. This filmfest will take place in may at the Chamizal theatre in El Paso Texas and g
Godzilla was booked from Rialto Pictures. Yoshikazu Ishii first ast spfx director on Godzilla Final Wars will be at G-Fest this year I cant wait to meet him and the other guests.

ClassicHorror 03-31-2005 04:41 AM

I'm nowhere near hollywood....

Gojira 03-31-2005 05:59 AM

Hi ClassicHorror I am closer to Hollywood than Chicago but I will be watching Godzilla Final Wars in chicago in july because G-fest will be going on at the same time. I am in west Texas closer to California. Godzilla final Wars will be seen in june in Hollywood but I already made plans for Chicago instead. I dont think diehard Godzilla fans let distance be a factor in deciding if they can see a movie they really want to see. Most fans save a little each month and plan ahead of time on going to a movie or convention Depending on where you live classic you can check with Rialto Pictures to see where Gojira 1954 will be playing as the movie is being booked throughout the country at diffrent theatres.

ClassicHorror 03-31-2005 10:52 AM

How come you always say "Hi" before your posts?

Gojira 03-31-2005 01:45 PM

Hi ClassicHorror the reason I say hi at each post is because its a courtesy. When I read a post and if someone says what was the name of the new monster in the last Godzilla movie I will reply with Hi and type the users name and say who the monster was. Or if someone talks about a movie and they get a few facts wrong again I will reply Hi and explain give the right facts. Or if someone posts that they saw a movie I will reply again with hi and I might say where other movies are playing. So I say Hi as a courtesy to the person who posted last. IMO its a good habbit to get into. Any other questions ClassicHorror?

AUSTIN316426808 03-31-2005 08:03 PM

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

Gojira 03-31-2005 10:44 PM

Hi Austin nice to see you know the alphabit but can you spell the name of the Japanese movie studio that makes the Godzilla movies.

AUSTIN316426808 03-31-2005 10:45 PM

Quote:

Hi Austin nice to see you know the alphabit but can you spell the name of the Japanese movie studio that makes the Godzilla movies.

Toho

Gojira 03-31-2005 11:02 PM

Hi Austin very good Toho is correct now can you spell the names of all the Toho monsters? Better yet can you spell their names in Japanese.

AUSTIN316426808 03-31-2005 11:04 PM

Quote:

Hi Austin very good Toho is correct now can you spell the names of all the Toho monsters? Better yet can you spell their names in Japanese.

you got me there

filmmaker2 04-01-2005 10:00 AM

As I think we can all see, Gojira is most serious, perhaps one of the biggest Godzilla experts in the world. Word.

AUSTIN316426808 04-02-2005 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2
As I think we can all see, Gojira is most serious, perhaps one of the biggest Godzilla experts in the world. Word.

If not I'd like to see the person who's worse than he is

filmmaker2 04-02-2005 03:52 PM

"What's the difference between a film geek and a film nerd? A film geek can kick a film nerd's ASS."

(Quentin Tarantino)

We need people like that: People who know so much that it's basically kinda SCARY. Yeah!

ClassicHorror 04-06-2005 03:59 AM

Hi filmmaker, how are you feeling? Even tho I have no idea who you are, I will be courteous to you.:D

sorry i was blabbering.

EXTR3MIST 04-11-2005 04:39 PM

Quote:

No shit - he digs them big lizards, homes.

Word.

trx1 12-11-2005 09:53 PM

i hope this comes out soon, read this thread, but want to see the movie...

trx1 12-17-2005 10:58 AM

funny and awsome flik

WOW:eek: is all i gotta say...... GODZILLA KICKS ASS!!!! gee wonder what happened to "fakezilla"?? LMAO...took all of a min to wipe the floor with him....LOLOLOOLOL

Zero 01-14-2006 07:32 AM

godzilla wsa my favorite monster as a kid - they used to show a 3:30 movie every day and it was almost always a godzilla film. . . do kids today love the big green lizard as much as we did?

Doc Faustus 01-26-2006 09:38 PM

Godzilla will be sorely missed, but I think he was at the top of his game in the sixties and early seventies . I like the new ones, but I think they're too polished. And as for your challenge to Austin, I can get nearly all of them in English.
Godzilla/ Gojira
Mothra/Mosura
Ghidrah/Ghidorah
Rodan
Minya/Minilla(?)
Godzilla Jr. (90s films)
Destroyer/Destroyah
Space Godzilla
Moguera/Moguella
Mecha Godzilla
Titanosaurus
Varan
Baragon
Giant crazy Nazi Frankenstein
Green Gargantua
Brown Gargantua
Fire Rodan
King Kong
Mecha Kong
Megaguiras
Monster X
Kaiser Ghidorah
Mushroom things from mushroom people movie (brain fart)
Ebirah
Anguirus/Gigantis
Kamacuras
Gigan
Megalon
Gorosaurus
Manda
Gabirah
Gezora
King Seesar
Hedorah
Mecha Ghidorah
Battra
Kumonga
Jet Jaguar
I may have neglected something from Matango and a creature or two from the new continuity, so please for my peace of mind and entertainment both, let me know.

trx1 02-20-2006 10:48 PM

where can i find big G 2000 at??

Zero 03-07-2006 08:30 AM

what about the Godzilla and Godzuki adventure hour?

"Up from the depths,
Thirty stories high,
Breathing fire, his head in the sky.
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
And Godzuki! "

trx1 12-13-2006 05:00 PM

where can i find more of these?

Pygar 12-14-2006 10:00 PM

Godzilla on DVD

I enjoy any appearance of Godzilla (except the old cartoons, sorry) but like the most recent cycle the most, probably because I haven't 'wore them out' yet. The 1999 to 2004 cycle did their best to reinvent Godzilla movies and inject new talent and story ideas into the series.

Also, this may be a merciless plug for my blog, but I really think it could be useful here - a guide to all the Godzilla films currently out on DVD in the US, UK and Hong Kong. Of course, they are all out in Japan, but with no english translation, subtitles or audio tracks.

I keep this entry updated with every new release.
My Godzilla DVD checklist