Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Comics (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What comic are you reading at the moment? (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30923)

cheebacheeba 01-15-2010 07:25 PM

Yeah I thought preacher was "ok", though never read past half way...not even sure where I got up to, somewhere around the vampires back-story I just got bored and dropped it.
The title "blood and water" for me, is the standard to which I hold most modern vampire comics, I really liked that...just 3 issues, and it was great.
Not that preacher was really a vampire comic, just had one in it.

Another long running series I could never get into was hellblazer.

TWD is cool, yeah...though the issues can be pretty short - where you at with that one issue-wise/storyline wise urg? Done "fear the hunters" yet?

SamCostello 01-24-2010 07:50 AM

Shade the Changing Man, vol. 1 - The American Scream, by Peter Milligan and Chris Bachalo

Sam

missmacabre 01-31-2010 01:32 PM

Online comic by Warren Ellis called FreakAngels. Post apocolyptic, steampunk, mind reading adventure. It's a lot different than the other Warren Ellis' I have read, and the art and colour is fantastic for a weekly comic. Trying to read a chapter a day to get caught up. So far, it is kicking my ass in a great way.

ChronoGrl 02-10-2010 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missmacabre (Post 846041)
Online comic by Warren Ellis called FreakAngels. Post apocolyptic, steampunk, mind reading adventure. It's a lot different than the other Warren Ellis' I have read, and the art and colour is fantastic for a weekly comic. Trying to read a chapter a day to get caught up. So far, it is kicking my ass in a great way.

THANK YOU for introducing that to me. Psyched to read it.

Just finished Best American Comics 2010. Had some fantastic excerpts and now I need to buy the whole volumes:
  • Shortcomings by Adrian Tomine
  • Insomnia (Ignatz) by Matt Broersma
  • Skim by Mariko Tamaki

Doc Faustus 02-11-2010 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheebacheeba (Post 842560)
Another long running series I could never get into was hellblazer.

I like the character, but his adventures are pretty one note and usually just revolve around tricking some demon or another. I prefer him in Swamp Thing and Books of Magic.

cheebacheeba 02-14-2010 03:50 AM

Never really followed any of that.
I got my usual lot of comics...nothing great this week IMO...
One thing I liked seeing though was a promotion for upcoming "Amazing Spider-Man" comics of 2010, that kind of indicates they may be bringing the whole "Brand New Day" storyline to an end...I REALLY hope they can get this title back to what it was before all the changes.

ChronoGrl 02-20-2010 09:00 AM

Read the latest Walking Dead. Meh. I really feel as though this comic series leaves a lot to be desired.

Caught up with FreakAngels. I want more.

Scarebaby 02-20-2010 10:37 AM

Ooh, I recently bought the first collection of Walking Dead! Is it any good?

ChronoGrl 02-20-2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarebaby (Post 850297)
Ooh, I recently bought the first collection of Walking Dead! Is it any good?

Honestly, it's more soap opera-ish than horror-ish... I'm disappointed with the series... But I keep reading it.

The art is great but the writing can be pretty bad.

Everyone else I know who reads it loves it, though, so you might too.

Doc Faustus 02-20-2010 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheebacheeba (Post 849261)
Never really followed any of that.
I got my usual lot of comics...nothing great this week IMO...
One thing I liked seeing though was a promotion for upcoming "Amazing Spider-Man" comics of 2010, that kind of indicates they may be bringing the whole "Brand New Day" storyline to an end...I REALLY hope they can get this title back to what it was before all the changes.

Brand New Day has allowed for a lot of changes back to a smarter kind of old school Spiderman. Read the recent The Gauntlet issues. It's gone back to Peter having trouble juggling his attempts to build a life and his superheroing. Though a lot of people say "why would Mephisto want Peter and Mary Jane not to be married?" if you think about it, this world is a perfect Hell for Peter. Kraven's family wants revenge, many of his old villains are stronger than ever, J.Jonah Jameson is mayor and he can't find a girl to settle down with. It's a nightmarish throwback to 60s and 70s Spiderman.