Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Vincent Price Classics (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65326)

anglewitch 10-31-2014 04:39 AM

Vincent Price Classics

Last weekend I was at the flea market and I found Dr. Phibes Rises Again.
I have the first Dr. Phibes aka The Abominable Dr. Phibes.

phantomstranger 10-31-2014 07:26 AM

Both are very entertaining movies. Enjoy.

FryeDwight 11-01-2014 12:21 AM

Two of my favorites from one of the BEST actors ever. Love a lot of his horror films as well as his "straight" films as well like LAURA, DRAGONWYCK, LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN and he's hilarious in CHAMPAGNE FOR CAESAR.

Ferox13 11-01-2014 06:12 PM

He made so many good films that it is hard to narrow down though I do have great love for Witchfinder General and Theatre of Blood.

anglewitch 11-04-2014 09:03 AM

My Favorites are The Abominable Dr. Phibes, Dr. Phibes Rises Again, Master of The World, Tales of Terror, Witch Finder General, Masque of Red Death, The Fly, and Return of The Fly.

anglewitch 11-04-2014 09:41 AM

I forgot to add The Raven to the list.

tfantasy 11-05-2014 04:19 AM

Love, love, love Vincent Price!!! I am a HUGE fan of Edgar Allen Poe and Price fits perfect into those roles!!

I think my two favorites are Pit and the Pendulum and House of Wax. I can't find either one of these on any of my Roku channels or streaming channels ::sad::

I guess I'm just going to have to buy a collection!!

anglewitch 11-22-2014 10:20 AM

Man, I have been keeping my eye out for vincent price's The Pit and The Pendulum.

tfantasy 11-22-2014 02:47 PM

I found it for Netflix dvd and put it in my queue but it's not the same as owning it!! Have you tried half.com?? I don't have the funds right now to buy movies but when I do half.com and familyvideo.com are great places to find decent, inexpensive movies.

anglewitch 12-13-2014 05:26 AM

Yeah, I am the same way too.

hammerfan 12-13-2014 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfantasy (Post 982594)
I found it for Netflix dvd and put it in my queue but it's not the same as owning it!! Have you tried half.com?? I don't have the funds right now to buy movies but when I do half.com and familyvideo.com are great places to find decent, inexpensive movies.

Add moviesunlimited.com to your list

anglewitch 12-13-2014 06:06 AM

There you go tfantasy.

Monkey Astronaut 12-17-2014 05:00 AM

I have not watched the Dr. Phibes yet but Price is one of my all time favorite actors.

My top 3 favorite Vincent Price films

The Last Man on Earth (1964)
The Tingler (1959)
Diary of a Madman (1963)

Recently I watched him in the film noir Shock (1946) which is a pretty solid B-movie that's only about 70 minutes long. Good use of suspense and an interesting dream sequence toward the beginning of the film. The film is in the public domain and for those interested you can watch the entire film for free on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WahT2FEteoA

anglewitch 12-23-2014 04:42 AM

You have to see it! Its really good and Dr. Phibes Rises Again is also very good.

anglewitch 02-03-2015 03:27 AM

Right now I am keeping my eye out for another copy of Witch Finder General.

Martha 02-28-2015 08:13 AM

My first Vincent Price horror film was House of Wax (1942) when I was barely in my teens.

Have been following and collecting Vincent Price horror films ever since.

anglewitch 02-28-2015 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martha (Post 989660)
My first Vincent Price horror film was House of Wax (1942) when I was barely in my teens.

Have been following and collecting Vincent Price horror films ever since.

Wow this thread has been reawakened it was dead for a while.

I have a big collection of vincet price. I still need to get a few more though.

Roiffalo 04-20-2015 12:39 PM

Love love Vincent Price. Always adding what I can find to my collection. Surprisingly elusive movies, most I've seen being rented from the library or I saw them on TV. My favorite of his so far (that I'm lucky to own) is House on Haunted Hill. Surprised it wasn't mentioned yet actually.

Evermonster 05-28-2015 04:22 PM

Hi all, happy to join this group!

My top 3

Pit and the Pendulum (1961)
House of Wax (1953)
Fall of the House of Usher (1960)

Martha 07-15-2015 08:53 AM

Vincent Price was in a neat little flick when he first started in the horror genre.

It's called The Mad magician.

It's worth a watch.

Repo'd 07-15-2015 10:42 AM

So many great Price films. My list of favorites is long, to say the least. I have always loved The Tingler, and I count it as one of the films I saw as a little kid, and started me on my path to becoming a horror freak. I also am a huge fan of the other Castle/Price collaborations, but my favorite Price flick and performance would be Theater of Blood. I do realize that it's essentially a rethinking of Dr. Phibes, but Vincent Price reciting Shakespeare for about half the movie?? Dear lord, it's a dream come true.

horrorlverwv 07-26-2015 10:35 AM

vincent price

i have dr phibes and also dr phibes rises again, both very good and amazing films.

Martha 08-12-2015 07:23 AM

The Mad magician was included as one of 4 horror films in a recent set I bought.

One of Price's earlier horror films.

Neat little flick!

hammerfan 08-12-2015 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martha (Post 998756)
The Mad magician was included as one of 4 horror films in a recent set I bought.

One of Price's earlier horror films.

Neat little flick!

Ooohhh, I've never heard of that one! I'll have to look for it. Thanks Martha!

Martha 08-12-2015 07:37 AM

It's available from Amazon for $5.96 new.

It's called Classic Horror 4 Pak

It also includes

Five
The Terror Of The Tongs
The Man Who Turned To Stone

hammerfan 08-12-2015 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martha (Post 998760)
It's available from Amazon for $5.96 new.

It's called Classic Horror 4 Pak

It also includes

Five
The Terror Of The Tongs
The Man Who Turned To Stone

Thanks, Martha!

ZombiLuv 09-15-2015 08:07 PM

Last weekend was my local Drive In's Monsterama and Friday night was Vincent Price night. Sadly I could only stay for the first 2 films but they are 2 of my fave. The Pit and The Pendulum & Masque of Red Death

Roiffalo 09-16-2015 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZombiLuv (Post 1000770)
Last weekend was my local Drive In's Monsterama and Friday night was Vincent Price night. Sadly I could only stay for the first 2 films but they are 2 of my fave. The Pit and The Pendulum & Masque of Red Death

Was this in Pitt? That sounds fantastic. I'll have something to look for when I go back to visit if so.

Repo'd 09-16-2015 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZombiLuv (Post 1000770)

In Vandergrift, Pa? Oh, we almost went, but figured we should save the money for Monster Bash in October. It looked like a great lineup! I was especially excited about Fearless Vampire Killers...but alas, we didnt attend.

hammerfan 09-16-2015 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Repo'd (Post 1000787)
In Vandergrift, Pa? Oh, we almost went, but figured we should save the money for Monster Bash in October. It looked like a great lineup! I was especially excited about Fearless Vampire Killers...but alas, we didnt attend.

You passed up a chance to see Fearless Vampire Killers on the big screen?! ::shocked::

Repo'd 09-16-2015 04:12 AM

I know :( It's a 5 hour drive, and cash is a little light this month. We had a choice; spend a bunch on one day or put it away toward the Monster Bash and Black Sunday on the big screen next month. It was hotly debated but mature, sensible minds prevailed. Clearly, NOT MINE! lol

hammerfan 09-16-2015 04:16 AM

The 5 hour drive alone would kill it for me!

Repo'd 09-16-2015 04:20 AM

Well, it is a two night event, but I would'n't have been able to do both days so, yeah, 5 hours is more than I was up for.

Frank Lefanu 09-24-2015 03:41 PM

Price is THE horror film actor. People would see horror films based on his name alone. Many movies that he starred in would be shitty movies if not for his presence in them. He makes them great. Nobody like him exists today.

neilold 10-01-2015 01:14 AM

oh that voice! My favourite is witchfinder general, i also like mark of the devil, which is like watching the same film with mad gore in it. A close friend of vincent price's used to meet with him and get him to say mundane things like 'pass the salt', just so he could here that voice saying normal eveyday things, excellent story it its true.

Repo'd 10-01-2015 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilold (Post 1001585)
oh that voice! My favourite is witchfinder general, i also like mark of the devil, which is like watching the same film with mad gore in it. A close friend of vincent price's used to meet with him and get him to say mundane things like 'pass the salt', just so he could here that voice saying normal eveyday things, excellent story it its true.

Witchfinder is one of my favorites too, and I like Mark of the Devil as well, but Witchfinder has Vincent-ness, and therefore wins. ::cool::

neilold 10-03-2015 02:04 PM

Lol, I prefer mark for this gore and nastiness. Though I agree Vincentness is never a bad thing:)

bats 05-16-2016 12:56 AM

Vincent Price is a legend for a reason.

i love Vincent price movies. he is so much fun to watch, especially if he is playing a villain. he always seems to be having so much fun in whatever movie he is in and he is so delightfully hammy in some things that it is impossible not to love him.
i recently found out that there are a few of his movies in the horror section ondemand and i have been trying to watch everything they have. i recently watch "twice told tales" which was a lot of fun and "theater of blood" which was a pretty perfect use of your Vincent price in my opinion and a few months ago i watched "the fly" and i like the remake, i grew up with that movie but i liked the Vincent price one more than i thought i would. i also saw "from a whisper to a scream" which over all was fun but not one of my favorites and of course i had to check out the Edgar Allen Poe type movies "the raven" "the pit and the pendulum" and "the fall of the house of usher" and i liked them all but the raven was just so awesome i think it would have to be my favorite. i need to see "the masque of the red death" and i am sure a munch of non Poe related things. ::devil::

anglewitch 10-13-2016 08:08 AM

Just purchased The House of Usher for my Price collection.

I am pleased, VERY pleased.

idoneus1957 05-08-2018 07:33 AM

vincent price hurray

Price is great! His "The last man on earth" is the best of the movies from Matheson's book I am legend, even though it has kind of a low budget.

His scariest movie might be Witchfinder General, a very hard hitting movie. Or maybe the House on Haunted Hill. I was terrified when the girl in the closet saw the scary guy.

It's wonderful that when Tim Burton made "Vincent", he was able to get the real Vincent Price to do the voice over.