Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Foreign Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Need Advice/Recommendations (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8784)

wayne 01-15-2004 08:09 AM

japanese horror

hello, i'm new here, and i've recently gotten into japanese films such as ichi the killer and battle royale.

i am interested in furthering my collection and wondered if any of you could suggest films i should look out for?

especially films by beat takeshi and takashi miike.

much appreciated!
wayne

dashripper 01-15-2004 08:57 AM

My favourite flick from Miike is Audition. It's a great little love story and then takes a wicked left turn and goes off in a completely other direction. Actually Miike just did a true 'horror' movie called 'Chakurai' or 'You've Got A Call'. It just came out in theatres in Asia so it'll probably be a while until it comes out on VCD or DVD.

A Tale Of Two Sisters-takes its time but a creepy flick that builds tension.

Three-Three different shorts. I liked 'Memories' the best. It's from the same director that did 'Sisters'. The second short sucks ass but the thrid little movie is pretty decent.

Ju-On-Definately creepy but my only problem is that they show the ghosts too much-especially the three school girls.

Dark Water-Same dude that did Ringu. Creepy moments.

The Eye-I loved this movie. A cross between Sixth Sense and Mothman Prophecies.

See if you can find The Untold Story. Shocking. Absolutely shocking.

Volcano High-Awesome. It's not a horror but it kicks ass and is hilarious.

And I just picked up Infernal Affairs yesterday. It's a cop flick but it's a very good movie. It's a pretty clever filck about communication and passing information rather than shoot-outs. I can't wait to check out the other two.

avenger00soul 01-15-2004 09:02 AM

I haven't seen a lot of the newer wave of Japanese horror flicks. But I suggest going back and watching A Chinese Ghost Story, The Heroic Trio, Bride with White Hair, and the like. They are more fantasy though, but I like them.

mictlan 01-15-2004 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dashripper

See if you can find The Untold Story. Shocking. Absolutely shocking.

That's the one with Anthony Wong, right? It is pretty intense.

Anthony Wong is also in the Ebola Syndrome, which is also worth seeing, in fact has a lot in common with the Untold Story.

Check out Ricky-O AKA The Story of Ricky. It's not horror but ultra-gory martial arts, ultra-gory to the point of absurdity.

abbycomix 01-15-2004 09:36 AM

I hate to be a nit-picker, but I'm pretty sure The Eye, Heroic Trio (which I love!), Bride With White Hair, and Chinese Ghost Story, and others listed here are Chinese. Though Battle Royale and Audition, etc. are from Japan. Don't know if this helps anybody but thought I'd let you know. I hear the zombie movie Stacy is cool, I as always recommend Wild Zero for fun japanese zombie gore and rock n' roll!

avenger00soul 01-15-2004 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by abbycomix
I hate to be a nit-picker, but I'm pretty sure The Eye, Heroic Trio (which I love!), Bride With White Hair, and Chinese Ghost Story, and others listed here are Chinese. Though Battle Royale and Audition, etc. are from Japan.
I thought this might happen. Which is why I should have used the word Oriental. It's much like the action films that we get from that part of the world. No matter where they are filmed they are still called Hong Kong shooters. It's just a bad generalization. I should have been more specific.

But then as George Clooney says in From Dusk Till Dawn when he calls Scott Japanese and is informed that he's Chinese: "Well excuse me all to hell.":D

Glad to see someone else loves The Heroic Trio. Those little devil kids really freak me out.

mictlan 01-15-2004 09:49 AM

Quote:

I hate to be a nit-picker, but I'm pretty sure The Eye, Heroic Trio (which I love!), Bride With White Hair, and Chinese Ghost Story, and others listed here are Chinese. Though Battle Royale and Audition, etc. are from Japan. Don't know if this helps anybody but thought I'd let you know.
True. The Untold Story and Ebola Syndrome are also Hong Kong, not Japanese. I think we are more sidetracked than ignorant.

avenger00soul 01-15-2004 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mictlan
I think we are more sidetracked than ignorant.
I hope that's the case.:D

bloodrayne 01-15-2004 09:53 AM

I know I'm showing my ignorance here...But...Is Cannibal Holocaust Asian?...I've heard a lot about it, but I've never seen it...

avenger00soul 01-15-2004 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by bloodrayne
I know I'm showing my ignorance here...But...Is Cannibal Holocaust Asian?...I've heard a lot about it, but I've never seen it...
Italian. Most of the "cannibal" flicks were from Italy-those sick bastards.

bloodrayne 01-15-2004 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by avenger00soul
Italian. Most of the "cannibal" flicks were from Italy-those sick bastards.

Damn, I was farther off than I thought...LOL...Figures...Thanks again Avenger:)

dashripper 01-15-2004 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mictlan
True. The Untold Story and Ebola Syndrome are also Hong Kong, not Japanese. I think we are more sidetracked than ignorant.
True. I just assumed he meant Asian Horror. Why would you just want to watch Japanese movies when all of Asia is putting out great movies?

Aylmer 01-15-2004 10:10 AM

"Rickey-Oh: The Story or Riki" kicks ass not really horror but lots of gore. "The Eye" was really good too kinda reminded me of "Devil's Backbone" and "6th Sence" check out "Versus" too it's also really good, martial arts zombies are always cool.

wayne 01-15-2004 10:33 AM

thanks everyone, i'll look out for them all. the story of riki i actually saw a trailer for today, it look's good so i'll be checking that one out next.

you'll have to excuse me when i said japanese, it's my dumb ignorance, i did mean asian/oriental.

also, the killer by john woo, any good?

Aylmer 01-15-2004 10:41 AM

Never seen "The Killer" but a good friend who knows movies is all about that and "Hard Boiled" he seems to be more of a "HB" fan but loves both.

avenger00soul 01-15-2004 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by wayne
also, the killer by john woo, any good?
Oh man, don't even get me started on old John Woo. The Killer is utterly amazing. As is A Better Tomorrow and Hard Boiled by Woo. If you like Asian shooters, check out Time and Tide and Fulltime Killer as well.

wayne 01-15-2004 10:45 AM

:) cool, i'll check it out. cheers!

avenger00soul 01-15-2004 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aylmer
Never seen "The Killer" but a good friend who knows movies is all about that and "Hard Boiled" he seems to be more of a "HB" fan but loves both.
I prefer Hard Boiled as well. But all are worth seeing.

Sam The Egg 01-15-2004 12:31 PM

http://www.mandiapple.com/snowblood/index2.htm
A good site to go by when getting Japanese movies.

abbycomix 01-15-2004 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by avenger00soul

Glad to see someone else loves The Heroic Trio. Those little devil kids really freak me out.

Yeah, I really need a copy of heroic trio on dvd! Sadly Anita Mui died of cancer last week. She was wonderful in that film! I also liked the Killer and Hard Boiled, you can't go wrong checking out some classic Woo! Still need to see Riki-o...

avenger00soul 01-15-2004 12:41 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I really need a copy of heroic trio on dvd! Sadly Anita Mui died of cancer last week. She was wonderful in that film!
I didn't know that!!! Bummer.

You can get The Heroic Trio on DVD most anywhere now. It's 14 at Bestbuy I believe.

Grackan 01-15-2004 03:13 PM

Favourite Asian Films:

The Phone (Korean)
The Eye
Ring Series
Suicide Circle
Shinjuku Triad Society
Rainy Dog
Ley Lines
Dead or Alive 1 & 2
The Spiral
Crossfire
Ichi the Killer
Hard Boiled
Once Upon a Time in China
Audition
Bangkok Dangerous (Thai)
Battle Royale

Still to see Versus & Ju-On

:cool:

Bub 01-16-2004 02:45 PM

Some great great films there, nice lists.
The Eye is Thai, just to clear that one up :) It is a great film, I have to agree.
There are some here I haven't seen and will have to check out, I can hear my wallet crying again.

avenger00soul 01-19-2004 10:13 AM

Thanks to a damn good friend I just got to watch Audition. CHECK IT OUT!!!

heapodd 03-21-2004 01:09 PM

I need a Japanese horror movie expert

Would like some recommendations from someone in the know.
I've watched a few (and thought they were fabulous) but need some more titles.

Thanks

Sam The Egg 03-21-2004 01:26 PM

well it would help to know what you'd alread watched

BudMan 03-21-2004 06:43 PM

ditto what Sam said....ditto?...what the fuck does that mean anyway..
The Eye was pretty creepy in my book. I just picke up Ju-On and Versus at my local Newbury Comics but haven't watched them yet. From what I hear thay are pretty good [ or else I've wasted about $45. ] My next purchase will be Battle Royale.

radio667 03-21-2004 06:59 PM

i saw battle royal..it was good - not great ..i kinda fell for the hype on that one ...still a great knife in the crotch scene by the girl in the " Kill Bill " Movie ( i think her name in Bill was GO-GO )

Sam The Egg 03-21-2004 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by radio667
i saw battle royal..it was good - not great ..i kinda fell for the hype on that one ...still a great knife in the crotch scene by the girl in the " Kill Bill " Movie ( i think her name in Bill was GO-GO )
Yeah, hype can kill a movie like Battle Royale. Lucky for me, I saw it when I was first getting into the Japanese import stuff (I was already into Akira Kurosawa), so I hadn't heard anything about it. I loved it, though.

StaggerLee 03-22-2004 08:40 AM

well, if you haven't yet watched anything by Takashi Miike, now would be a good time to start...

zwoti 03-22-2004 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by StaggerLee
well, if you haven't yet watched anything by Takashi Miike, now would be a good time to start...
certainly audition and ichi the killer. he has done other good films like the dead or alive series, but they fall more into the gangster/yakuza genre.

Weird Terrain 03-22-2004 03:30 PM

Audition was ok, but Visitor Q is much better. Thats a keeper.
Evil dead Trap is also pretty good and not to forget the Guinea Pig movies.
Ohh yeah The Whole is great too, and then ofcause there is the Ringu trilogy.

StaggerLee 03-23-2004 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Weird Terrain

Ah, the legendary Guinea pig movies... impossible to get on your hands, at least in Finland. the only thing I've found is a very short trailer. do you have any idea where one could get those gore classics?

Weird Terrain 03-23-2004 06:09 AM

Yeah I know, they are not easy to come by here in Denmark too, but other than share networks, then the DVDs can be bought some places on the net.
I know that most of them (if not all) can be bought on www.half.ebay.com

zwoti 03-23-2004 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by StaggerLee
Ah, the legendary Guinea pig movies... impossible to get on your hands, at least in Finland. the only thing I've found is a very short trailer. do you have any idea where one could get those gore classics?
http://www.unearthedfilms.com/

i picked them up at a film show in birmingham.

zwoti 03-23-2004 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Weird Terrain

evil death trap 1&2 and not forgetting the men behind the sun trilogy.

Weird Terrain 03-23-2004 10:12 AM

Well MBTS are Hong Kong movies, they just picture the killing of 300000 chinese killed by the Japanese army, but they are all made in Hong Kong, hehe ( I know that one was bad). And there is 4 of them :)
They are ok, just not as great as a war film can be, but pretty good none the less. Evil Dead trap are cool :P

zwoti 03-23-2004 01:05 PM

how about some japanese zombie films, junk, wild zero and versus.

Machine King 03-23-2004 04:07 PM

Try Dark Water, Ichi The Killer (techinally not horror), Vistor Q, and Evil Dead Trap

ohiotrespassers 03-29-2004 06:52 PM

the Korean film 'a tale of two sisters' is really good, its not really horror but more of a suspense film with horror elements.