Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Compilations and Pastimes (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   100 Years of Frankenstein in Cinema! (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54372)

_____V_____ 05-26-2011 05:51 AM

Another fantastic thread - well-written and very informative.

Stickied.

Prometheus 08-02-2011 12:53 PM

While many filmmakers were inspired by the novel to give them more or less faithful version of the myth, the first adaptation is of particular importance.

More than one hundred years (and over forty films) separating the first version of and the most recent rereading of the myth that seems to still be on the rise in film today. What is ironic is how the image of the creature may have evolved since then and no longer really the one we propose here. This is the aspect of a real monster cruel and disproportionate to walk with long hair appears the creation of Dr. Frankenstein. Humanity is set aside and only the part where the creature discovers his monstrosity and deformity in the mirror conveys a certain emotion. If the sets are very rudimentary and if the film is in a deplorable state of preservation, this first version of Frankenstein is his interest in music that opposes its construction carefully enough menacing melodies and tunes almost jovial and especially in the scene of creation itself. Moving testimony to the arrival of the fantastic stories in film, this short film suffers from the weight of years but is still (obviously) very interesting today.

Hats off to the pioneers!!!

Rick ;)

wizard of gore 02-05-2012 12:34 AM

Cheers for that ,what awsome informing read!!
and thank you dr frankenstein for creating my favourite monster.we salute you

ps was al adamsons dracula vs frankensein in there or was that just bad a film to be mentioned

TheCabin 03-21-2012 01:51 PM

I love the original...simply one of the best horror of all time. I didn't like it the first time but the second and third times were much better. The child scene is always great to watch.

nancylives! 04-11-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard of gore (Post 919043)
was al adamsons dracula vs frankensein in there or was that just bad a film to be mentioned

while dracula vs. frankenstein is a wonderful, schlocky good time, it also features, amongst others, j. carrol naish, lon chaney, jr., and the priceless forry j. ackerman. those three alone make the movie worth watching. and certainly, worse frankenstein's monster movies have been made...

wizard of gore 04-11-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancylives! (Post 923025)
while dracula vs. frankenstein is a wonderful, schlocky good time, it also features, amongst others, j. carrol naish, lon chaney, jr., and the priceless forry j. ackerman. those three alone make the movie worth watching. and certainly, worse frankenstein's monster movies have been made...

with bad i meant good,i like my old movies to be terrible.dude who made its from nz too

Chucky Lee Ray 04-20-2012 07:17 AM

Wasn't Frankenstein like one of the first ever Horror movies ever created?

newb 05-02-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chucky Lee Ray (Post 923368)
Wasn't Frankenstein like one of the first ever Horror movies ever created?

It is beleived that "Le Manoir de Diable" (House of the Devil) was the first horror movie.
It was filmed by Georges Melies in France in 1896
There is a slight conflict as to which movie was the first horror film. First, "The Execution of Mary Stuart" was produced by American inventor Thomas Edison in 1895. It was only 18 seconds in length, and it depicted a woman being beheaded. In 1896, Georges Melies made "Le Manoir du diable" (The House of the Devil) which was 1-2 minutes in length and depicted Mephistopheles summoning ghosts and demons.

Longer films didn't really appear until the 1900's. The first American horror film of the 20th century is Edison Studios' version of Frankenstein, made in 1910. Though many classify Quasimodo, the hunchback of Notre Dame, as a monster and thus as a horror character, I feel his story is more of a tragic romance. If you think Quasimodo is a monster, then the first full-length horror film is Alice Guy's "Esmeralda" (1906), otherwise the first full-length horror film is from Germany, Paul Wegener's "The Golem" (1910).

thanks Google :D