Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Books & Fiction Writing (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What book u reading at the moment? (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19622)

X¤MurderDoll¤X 09-05-2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Faustus (Post 873497)
Who's the author of that? I want to brush up on marketing.

kevin hogan

katdad 09-05-2010 11:08 PM

Starting to re-read what is easily the most horrific novel I've ever read, "Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy.

Not a supernatural story, it deals with a scalphunting expedition in the Old West. As you know, Cormac McCarthy wrote "No Country for Old Men" and "The Road" among others. But "Blood Meridian" is his masterpiece.

I've read horror all my life, the good stuff -- Lovecraft, King, you name it, but this novel actually gave me nightmares. And at times, I simply could not read further and had to put the book down for a while. Honest.

There's an excellent low priced Modern Library edition hardback of "Blood Meridian" now available, but one caution: Do NOT read the preface by critic Harold Bloom! It's an excellent essay but contains too many spoilers, so save it for after you finish the book. Assuming you can finish the book, that is. Many people can't.

katdad 09-13-2010 12:25 AM

Also picked up my copy of "This Immortal" by Roger Zelazny, one of the best SF novels ever. Been several years so I thought I'd read it again, pleased at how interesting is the story line and narrative. Although the book was written over 40 years ago,it's still modern in its tone and very entertaining. A great read.

dkwrtw 09-14-2010 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katdad (Post 873561)
Starting to re-read what is easily the most horrific novel I've ever read, "Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy.

Not a supernatural story, it deals with a scalphunting expedition in the Old West. As you know, Cormac McCarthy wrote "No Country for Old Men" and "The Road" among others. But "Blood Meridian" is his masterpiece.

I've read horror all my life, the good stuff -- Lovecraft, King, you name it, but this novel actually gave me nightmares. And at times, I simply could not read further and had to put the book down for a while. Honest.

There's an excellent low priced Modern Library edition hardback of "Blood Meridian" now available, but one caution: Do NOT read the preface by critic Harold Bloom! It's an excellent essay but contains too many spoilers, so save it for after you finish the book. Assuming you can finish the book, that is. Many people can't.

hmmmm, that sounds interesting, I'll have to pick up a copy.

stuartneild 09-14-2010 08:13 AM

I'm reading Maneater by Guy N Smith. Most of Guy's works are quick, slick reads and from what I've read, this is up there with the best.

Spookhouse 09-20-2010 09:36 AM

I've finished both my previous books and now I'm onto "The Lessons of History" by Will and Ariel Duran and "Weird History 101" by John Richard Stephens who has dedicated this particular book to Dr. Hunter S. Thompson.

satansfavoritedog 09-22-2010 01:12 PM

The Lipstick Killerz by Dez Del Rio

www.dezdelrio.com

zwoti 09-22-2010 02:51 PM

the millennium trilogy

elib32 09-23-2010 02:18 AM

just finishe stephen kings dark towers
awesome read

Angra 10-01-2010 09:52 PM

"The Swarm" by Frank Schatzing.

A 1000 pages novel about creatures from the deep of the oceans attacking human kind.

Cool.

phantomstranger 10-08-2010 01:03 PM

Two books at the moment:

"Blood Lite"
A collection of humorous horror tales
and
"Vampires: Dracula And The Undead Legions"
A collection of new vampire stories

psycho d 10-17-2010 05:04 AM

Crimea: The Great Crimean War (2004) by Trevor Royle. A wonderful account of a long forgotten war, a blunder really, whose greatest attribute was its introduction of embedded war journalism. Late.
Genruk

Shadow 10-19-2010 02:21 AM

The dance of the voodoo handbag - Robert Rankin

Found this book and one other (The hollow chocolate bunnies of the apocalypse) in a charity shop, had never heard of the author but how could I resist these titles.

I've finished the choco bunnies, it took a couple of chapters to get into the style of writting, it's quite different from and style I would normally read but once I got into it I really enjoyed it and found myself smiling to myself and even laughing out loud.

Only about 100 pages into voodoo handbag but really enjoying it, the main character has a sprout called Barry living in his head, what's not to like.

Funny in a strange way.

kalvin 10-19-2010 03:38 AM

I have recently finished Twilight Book.. It's really too good to read..:):)

sfear 10-22-2010 07:32 PM

http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/z...eofOtranto.jpghttp://i819.photobucket.com/albums/z...eenHorrors.jpg
Read OTRANTO and enjoyed it but will hold off on the other two stories until I finish the Alan Ryan anthology. OTRANTO, recognized as the first Gothic Romance, revels the strange things likely to happen when chivalry and carnality clash like raging armies. Good stuff. Read six of the stories in HALLOWEEN HORRORS and all are excellent with the first, Robert R. McCammon's "He'll Come Knocking At Your Door" being the best. It's the story about a guy who --- no, let me try it another way, it's the story about a small community where --- no, that won't work either either. Let me just say after reading the ending twice I still can't believe what I read!

ChronoGrl 10-23-2010 01:57 PM

Just read Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill. Really liked this book. Picked it up based on some feedback from here at HDC. It's a compelling ghost story and I was surprised at how wrapped up I got in our two main characters, especially since I didn't really like them at all at first. Also, the end was fantastic. I wasn't really sure where the story would take me, but the end was bliss. Loved it. Incredibly well-written and also equally creepy at times, Heart Shaped Box is a great ghost story and a great character piece.

HIGHLY recommended.

Has anyone read any other Joe Hill?

psycho d 10-26-2010 05:00 AM

The Definitive Book of Body Language (2006) by Allan Pease. AKA the Devil's Little Helper, this gem is system which allows one to literally read what someone is saying through their subconsciously controlled body movements. As well, it also give hints and tricks to use for expressing oneself with greater effect by controlling both the speaker's and listener's body language. Fun stuff, though maybe a little devious in the wrong hands.
Genruk

hammerfan 10-26-2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChronoGrl (Post 878891)
Just read Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill. Really liked this book. Picked it up based on some feedback from here at HDC. It's a compelling ghost story and I was surprised at how wrapped up I got in our two main characters, especially since I didn't really like them at all at first. Also, the end was fantastic. I wasn't really sure where the story would take me, but the end was bliss. Loved it. Incredibly well-written and also equally creepy at times, Heart Shaped Box is a great ghost story and a great character piece.

HIGHLY recommended.

I picked up his latest, but haven't read it yet.

Right now, reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Not liking it as much as I liked Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter.

psycho d 10-28-2010 11:48 AM

Napoleon: Path to Power (2008) by Philip Dwyer. A splendid account that led to the coup that removed the French Revolution's government and decimated its constitution.
g

sfear 10-31-2010 11:55 AM

Finished HALLOWEEN HORRORS edited by Alan Ryan and now reading H.P. Lovecraft's "The Rats In The Walls" in THE CALL OF CTHULHU AND OTHER WEIRD STORIES edited by S.T. Joshi. Another masterpiece it appears.

sfear 11-06-2010 07:13 AM

Now reading VATHEK, a 1786 fantasy by William Beckford. Expertly written and imaginative, the well-wrought English virtually serenades the mind's eye. Gonna be a masterpiece methinks.

good vs evil 11-08-2010 09:58 AM

I am reading False Memory by Dean Kootnz. Its about being brain washed by the trusting hands of a psycho Psychiatrist. The writing is very detailed and flows nicely. Not terribly suspenseful but a very intriguing story.

FreddyMyers 11-08-2010 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChronoGrl (Post 878891)

HIGHLY recommended.

Couldnt agree more. Loved the way it ended and the story kept me wrapped up in it the whole time. Read the whole book in like 3-4 days, which is really fast for me. Hill is very talented at creating atmosphere and explaining the enviorment and emotions surrounding the characters. Havent read anything else so far but definitly planning on reading more of his work.

FreddyMyers 11-08-2010 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psycho d (Post 879027)
The Definitive Book of Body Language (2006) by Allan Pease. AKA the Devil's Little Helper, this gem is system which allows one to literally read what someone is saying through their subconsciously controlled body movements. As well, it also give hints and tricks to use for expressing oneself with greater effect by controlling both the speaker's and listener's body language. Fun stuff, though maybe a little devious in the wrong hands.
Genruk

If you enjoyed that kinda stuff you should read into neuro-linguistic programming NLP. Deals alot with understanding and using body language, eye movement, tone of voice so you can influence and anchor conversations and interpert what the other speaker(s) are actually trying to say. Very interesting and extremly effective if used correctly but would take alot of practice and is basically all textbook type reading.

jbp is scary 11-10-2010 01:16 PM

Im reading the book,The Fire-Raiser,too bad my school library has almost run out of both horror filled and mystery books for me to read and the new books dont come til december!

Scarebaby 11-11-2010 10:39 PM

Not telling.

FreddyMyers 11-16-2010 07:23 AM

I AM LEGEND by Richard Matheson
One of my favorite books, espicially vampire based.
Love the way he creates his worlds. Only about 175 pgs so its easy to read and sucks you up into it throughout the entire story. Totally beliveable and you really feel what Neville is feeling. IMO the movies dont do the story justice at all. If you enjoyed the movies do yourself a favor and read the book which will most likely include a bunch of other great short stories. Actually if you liked the Will Smith version you probably WONT like it cause it is almost a completly different from the book.

GoreHound13 11-16-2010 07:26 AM

Stephen King's Under the Dome. great read so far.

good vs evil 11-17-2010 11:08 AM

Dean Koontz Fan

I am reading False Memory by Dean Koontz. Its about a people who are brainwashed to do certain things at certain times in order to do a psychiatrists bidding. Very sick and twisted man.

Its a kind of slow read and I am still waiting for the big climax after nearing the conclusion.

This makes me think twice about going to a psychiatrist.

GoreHound13 11-17-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by good vs evil (Post 880913)
I am reading False Memory by Dean Koontz. Its about a people who are brainwashed to do certain things at certain times in order to do a psychiatrists bidding. Very sick and twisted man.

Its a kind of slow read and I am still waiting for the big climax after nearing the conclusion.

This makes me think twice about going to a psychiatrist.

sounds interesting, ill have to read that one :P

psycho d 11-25-2010 06:11 AM

Russia Against Napoleon: The True Story of the Campaigns of War and Peace by Dominic Lieven. A rather one-sided account of Napoleon's foible into the Russian heartland, it does cover the heretofore story from the Russian standpoint.
g

FreddyMyers 12-01-2010 07:36 AM

Had a Cthulhu like dream/nightmare last night and woke up to an absolute downpour this morning, taking that as a sign i just spent the most of it reading H.P.'s The Call of Cthulhu. His work is timeless and still rivals any horror or fantasy based authors to ever live. Its no wonder that his work has been so poorly translated onto the big screen just because his manner of telling a story and creating his fantasy worlds are unlike anybody elses. His use of literature makes his worlds ment to be created and imagined by the reader, which in return can be felt on a much deeper level than just watching it on a movie screen. Although not the easiest of authors to read his work is still some of the best. Highly recommended for readers of the macabre and gloomy.

Scarebaby 12-09-2010 12:22 AM

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/613/karamazov.jpg

The father's little speech about being dragged to hell in chains fills me with pure joy to be alive.

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/5...arinthesky.jpg

DISAPPOINT. Was expecting gleeful comedy and got unfunny bitching.

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/304...rrowseries.jpg

Reliving childhood awesomeness. I got to Killing Frost in two days.

sfear 01-08-2011 01:22 PM

VATHEK by William Beckford, a short review. Published in 1786 this was Beckford's entry into the arena of Gothic fiction. Presented as a mock tale of the Arabian Nights it was, and some say still is, the pinnacle of its kind becoming so important and influential Byron referred to it as his Bible and gave the European reading audience all the garb and garbage of occidental orientalism. Caliph Vathek and his overbearing mother join forces to seek out power and knowledge not meant for sublunary man from Eblis, the satan of the East. As one would expect such treasures do not come cheap, but mother and son, the heart and soul of one of the most malignant malversations in all literature, seem oblivious to the terms of transaction. By novel's end they find while the devil may hide in the details, perdition flourishes in ignorance.

Devendra Varmas has said, "The Gothic novel appeals to the night-side of the soul." To do this you need a dark novel and parts of VATHEK are too dark to be appealing. Unrelentingly vile and loathsome, I had to stop and read a collection of murder mysteries (by Mary Rinehart Roberts for those interested) to cheer myself up and gather strength to finish it. VATHEK is a novel villains and their villainy, where hell is the hero consummating comeuppance by collecting the coinage of fools. Then sing the readers odes of gratitude with neither shame nor guilt.

Doc Faustus 01-08-2011 04:15 PM

I'll have to track that down.

fiend_skull 01-09-2011 09:32 PM

Finished: "Weaveworld" by Clive Barker
Started: "Dracula" by Bram Stoker and "Danse Macabre" by Stephen King
Next in like: "The Great and Secret Show" by Clive Barker

Scarebaby 01-09-2011 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiend_skull (Post 884562)
Finished: "Weaveworld" by Clive Barker

Ooooh was it good? I recently got my hands on it but haven't read it yet. I love Clive Barker! Have you read Imajica?

fiend_skull 01-10-2011 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarebaby (Post 884568)
Ooooh was it good? I recently got my hands on it but haven't read it yet. I love Clive Barker! Have you read Imajica?

I really enjoyed it and definitely think if you like Clive Barker's other work, you'll definitely enjoy it. I haven't had a chance to read Imajica, but I have hear great things about it.

Scarebaby 01-13-2011 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiend_skull (Post 884574)
I really enjoyed it and definitely think if you like Clive Barker's other work, you'll definitely enjoy it. I haven't had a chance to read Imajica, but I have hear great things about it.

Imajica is one of my favorite books ever so you definitely need to get your hands on it! Woho, I'm starting Weaveworld today then.

Scarebaby 01-14-2011 10:38 PM

These just came in the mail:

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/8...sstartrekt.jpg

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/1...oktkwolves.jpg

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/8857/dawneagles.jpg

BRAINGASM! 8D