Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indie Horror Movies and Short Films (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What scares you the most ? (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38004)

ad2478 11-05-2008 06:51 AM

What scares you the most ?

Hi friends. I wanted to know what is the element (mention only one) which scares (or creates more interest) you the most in scary movies?
Is it lot of Blood? killing and cutting (clearly shwoing the cutting of bodies into pieces on the screen etc)? Gore? Great Make up of evil creatures?? Lighting? or anything else.

Dont say story because it is an obvious element

Regards

Phalanx 11-05-2008 07:30 AM

Atmosphere through the combined use of lighting, sound effects, musical score, even well placed silence. Can make me feel (if well done) more uncomfortable than the subject matter of any given film.

newb 11-05-2008 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phalanx (Post 753825)
Atmosphere through the combined use of lighting, sound effects, musical score, even well placed silence. Can make me feel (if well done) more uncomfortable than the subject matter of any given film.

I was gonna say atmosphere as well.

ad2478 11-05-2008 11:42 PM

hmmm thanks for the reply.... waiting for more replies friends

Keith Stryton III 11-18-2008 07:56 AM

My thoughts.

Painfulldeath 11-18-2008 08:40 AM

I agree with atmosphere. What really scares me is the build-up right before something awful (or great depending on how evil you are) is about to happen to victim in a movie. For example, I get really nervous if a movie has a house full of booby-traps that could kill someone at anytime. I'm comfortable when a kill is predictable, but when it's out of my control...that fucking scary.

Roderick Usher 11-18-2008 11:10 AM

it isn't the violence of the jump scares or any one thing... it is believeing in and liking a character BEFORE anything happens to him/her that makes whatever happens scary and/or affecting.

A paper cut can be more impactful than a beheading if done right.

focus on creating great characters and them put them in peril...I promise you it will work every time.

ad2478 11-21-2008 04:09 AM

Quote:

Roderick Usher it isn't the violence of the jump scares or any one thing... it is believeing in and liking a character BEFORE anything happens to him/her that makes whatever happens scary and/or affecting.

A paper cut can be more impactful than a beheading if done right.

focus on creating great characters and them put them in peril...I promise you it will work every time.
Can you lease tell me in detail about your comments. Actually my first language is not english so thats why a little hard to understand. More over i want to make it more clear as your statment was different from others.

Roderick Usher 11-21-2008 06:29 AM

make the characters in your story realistic.

give your characters real emotions and show us thier lives BEFORE you introduce something scary to the story. I want you to make me care about what is happeneing.

if you make good characters, your audience will follow whatever you do to them

urgeok2 11-21-2008 06:37 AM

characters = the people in the film.

the parts the actors play .. if they are real you will like them

if you like them you wont want anything bad to happen to them.

terror comes from knowing that something bad is about to happen to the people you like.

i agree with Rod ... if i dont care about the characters - i couldnt care less what happens to them - there is no tension.