Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Horror Filmmakers (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Favorite horror directors? (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67771)

Killah Kane 11-02-2016 08:27 PM

Favorite horror directors?

Who are your favorite horror directors?

For me I must say that it includes David Cronenberg, John Carpenter, Wes Craven, James Wan, Alfred Hitchcock, Rob Zombie, George A. Romero, Sam Raimi, Eli Roth, and Adam Green. I'm probably forgetting some right now.

darkdetective 11-04-2016 09:16 AM

James Wan is one of the best right now.

John Carpenter is a legend.

Wes Craven is another legend. RIP Wes!!

Kim Ji Woon directed two of my favourites A Tale of Two Sisters and sorta horror but mostly thriller I Saw The Devil.

Adam Wingard who directed Blair Witch, The Guest and You're Next.

David Cronenberg is also excellent.

There's quite a few who have made just one horror movie but are very promising like Robert Eggers who directed The Witch.

I really wish more high profile filmmakers dabbled more in horror!

Repo'd 11-04-2016 02:06 PM

A lot of amazing names already tossed out there!

I would add Tobe Hooper. Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Eaten Alive, Life Force, Poltergeist, Salems Lot, Toolbox Murders (2004)...and more.
I'm also a huge fan of German filmmaker Jorg Buttgereit. He's responsible for some classic stuff, like Nekromantik, Der Todesking and Schramm.
Going way back, Tod Browning made some of the most unforgetable Horror movies. Dracula alone would make him an all time great, but his catalogue is impressive.
A couple of modern movie makers I have high hopes for are Lucky McKee and Ti West.

And don't forget some of the folks who made great schlock! No list of my favorite Directors would be complete without mentioning Herschel Gordon Lewis, Ed Wood, William Girdler and Jeff Lieberman!

darkdetective 11-05-2016 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Repo'd (Post 1021456)
A lot of amazing names already tossed out there!

I would add Tobe Hooper. Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Eaten Alive, Life Force, Poltergeist, Salems Lot, Toolbox Murders (2004)...and more.
I'm also a huge fan of German filmmaker Jorg Buttgereit. He's responsible for some classic stuff, like Nekromantik, Der Todesking and Schramm.
Going way back, Tod Browning made some of the most unforgetable Horror movies. Dracula alone would make him an all time great, but his catalogue is impressive.
A couple of modern movie makers I have high hopes for are Lucky McKee and Ti West.

And don't forget some of the folks who made great schlock! No list of my favorite Directors would be complete without mentioning Herschel Gordon Lewis, Ed Wood, William Girdler and Jeff Lieberman!

I completely forgot about Lucky McKee and Ti West.
I loved House of the Devil by West and The Woman and May from Lucky McKee.

McKee also directed the episode Sick Girl of Masters of Horror. One of the first episodes of that show I watched.

Also, let's have a shout out to Takashi Miike. Audition, Imprint (Another Master of Horror episode), One Missed Call, Over Your Dead Body.
A prolific and awesome filmmaker who did a lot of different types of movies.

Repo'd 11-05-2016 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkdetective (Post 1021502)
I completely forgot about Lucky McKee and Ti West.
I loved House of the Devil by West and The Woman and May from Lucky McKee.

McKee also directed the episode Sick Girl of Masters of Horror. One of the first episodes of that show I watched.

Also, let's have a shout out to Takashi Miike. Audition, Imprint (Another Master of Horror episode), One Missed Call, Over Your Dead Body.
A prolific and awesome filmmaker who did a lot of different types of movies.

Good call on Miike! Love his work. Visitor Q and Audition have to be my favorites, With Ichi The Killer not far behind.

Baron Von Marlon 11-05-2016 09:41 PM

Guillermo Del Toro.

DeadbeatAtDawn 11-06-2016 03:03 AM

Mickey Keating

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4806266/

hammerfan 11-06-2016 03:39 AM

Roman Polanski

Repo'd 11-06-2016 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammerfan (Post 1021539)
Roman Polanski

Excellent!
I'm guessing you're a big Terence Fisher fan, Hammer?

hammerfan 11-06-2016 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Repo'd (Post 1021545)
Excellent!
I'm guessing you're a big Terence Fisher fan, Hammer?

Good lord! How could I forget him?! *face palm*