Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Foreign Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Japanese horror vs Western Remakes (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58790)

tonjaroff 09-30-2011 06:01 AM

Japanese horror vs Western Remakes

Obviously the majority of you will think Japanese horror makes for a better film, to which I personally agree, if you disagree why? is a hollywood remake better? or (much much) worse? what features of the japanese orginal make it more scary, gruesome, terrifying and altogether thrilling?

newb 10-21-2011 08:29 PM

remakes in general turn me off

for the most part

silentmovieman 10-22-2011 01:11 PM

Japanese horror movies done well blow their American counterparts out of the water. Take the ring for instance, the girl from the tv is genuinely creepy in the original, its just blah in the us remake. As a rule I refuse to watch the remakes cause normally theyre terrible, that said though Japanese movies lose their effectiveness the more sequels are made, the ring is again a prime example.

urgeok2 01-12-2014 01:38 PM

old thread but i like the question.

some remakes are good - some are bad .. simple.

Dark waters was a bad remake because it missed the subtle tie that made the original more tense (and if had nothing to do with the ghost.

The Grudge was an excellent remake. (same director - so that probably helps)
I jumped in places where i knew the scare was coming .,. and i NEVER jump - so i've always respected that one.

the ring was just fine - and responsible for introducing north americans - for the most part - to asian horror.

Elvis_Christ 01-12-2014 08:59 PM

I thought The Grudge remake was impressive too.

Although it's a Hong Kong film and not Japanese I really liked the US remake of Infernal Affairs (Scorcese's The Departed)

There will always be subtleties lost when things are westernized but a good film is a good film (and vice versa).

urgeok2 01-13-2014 04:08 AM

i have to stop using my iPhone to respond to these things - my eyes are going and i can't see all the autocorrect errors until i'm on the computer :)

Monkey Astronaut 06-03-2014 10:17 AM

I tend to avoid the Hollywood versions all together.

starbaseone 08-05-2014 10:36 PM

Thai, Korean and Japanese remakes surpass Hollywood

I don't know why Hollywood always fails in their remakes of Asian horror movies. I think it's the "formula" that is required by the boardroom of execs - they need to tweak it, because they think Americans want only 1 movie (same formula, girl, romance angle etc.)
Otherwise, I've no clue why we can't get it right.

horcrux2007 08-06-2014 06:50 AM

I really liked The Grudge remake. The Ring was okay, but not nearly as good as the original. The indisputable worst is the One Missed Call remake.

Joe E Ville 09-06-2014 08:04 AM

The Chaser to be re-made as a result of Leonado DeCraprio's interest possibly featuring Ryan Gosling last I heard. I have yet to see a NA adaption that is even remotely palatable.

I suspect Murdered will be re done at some point or Detective C+ (Aaron Kwok)

Old Boy. Ugh. A travesty.