Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   A good "bad" movie - The Giant Claw (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31099)

Marya Zaleska 09-01-2007 05:47 AM

A good "bad" movie - The Giant Claw

Oh hi!

Good morning.

It's your horror film hostess Countess Marya Zaleska here with another film to discuss with you.

Let me go get comfty on my large sofa and get a nice glass of claret. I say I don't drink wine but don't believe. I do along with blood!

The film I wish to talk about this morning is from 1957. It's a Sam Katzman's production of The Giant Claw. It is directed by Fred Sears.

This was probably one of the most maligned sci fi films of the 1950's. It an enjoyable and fun "awful" film.

The cast includes:

Jeff Morrow as Mitch McAfee

Mara Corday as Sally Caldwell

Morris Ankrum as Lt. Gen Edward Considine ( one of sci fi's most popular generals)

Robert Shayne as Gen. Van Buskirk (Insp. Henderson of TV Superman)

Edgar Barrier as Dr. Karol Noyman

Louis Merrill as Pierre Broussard.

The plot centers around the appearence of an anti matter giant bird from an anti matter galaxy that is spreading terror and havoc.

The bird is literally unstoppable until Mitch McAfee and Dr. Noymand find out that the giant bird is an anti matter creature rather than a solid creature. From this they develop a weapon that can destroy the bird. And they do.

The movie does move along quite quickly and there are no dull spots. The premise of the story is not bad but what really does this film in is the giant bird. It looks ridiculous and even funny. I don't know who come up with this bird puppet but it's awful.

This is really a very good "b" movie. The awful part of it is the Giant bird which makes this a "bad" and laughable film. If the special effects would have been better, this could have been a very good movie.

Leonard Maltin rates this movie 1.5 stars. I agree mainly due to the special effects. A bigger budget and a more fearsome looking giant bird makes for a good film.

Well, I have to go. I have a part time job at a blood bank.

Your hostess

The Countess

Doc Faustus 09-01-2007 09:00 AM

It does things to your brain that only Robot Monster and a Gilligan's Island marathon are capable of, but if you don't miss 10% of your IQ for a couple hours, it's a lot of fun.

Marya Zaleska 09-01-2007 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Faustus (Post 624618)
It does things to your brain that only Robot Monster and a Gilligan's Island marathon are capable of, but if you don't miss 10% of your IQ for a couple hours, it's a lot of fun.

This is strictly a "fun" movie. Pop your popcorn, get a big coke with ice in it, and enjoy 80 minutes of pure escapism!

It's fun to watch! Especially Mara Corday! Wow!

phantomstranger 09-01-2007 05:38 PM

I love this movie. It's pure crap, but fun crap

newb 09-01-2007 08:32 PM

I really think these movies appeal more to us "older" posters......kind of a nostalgic thing. Hard to compete with todays CGI.Although we do have a few young-uns who appreciate the older movies.

I'm looking at Alky and Return

Marya Zaleska 09-02-2007 03:38 AM

[QUOTE=newb;624678]I really think these movies appeal more to us "older" posters......kind of a nostalgic thing. Hard to compete with todays CGI.Although we do have a few young-uns who appreciate the older movies.

I am amongst the "older" posters". I agree with you.

Being Dracula's daughter, I am one of the REALLY old posters. Thanks to all of that blood, I don't look like an old prune. Lol!

The Countess

trx1 09-07-2007 03:02 PM

what were the gaint bug movies, like
giat crab
praying mantis
and others
they even had model kits of these out.

crabapple 09-08-2007 04:31 PM

Yippee! An old favorite from those dreamy Saturday afternoons of yesterday. Great cast, awful puppet.

Marya Zaleska 09-09-2007 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crabapple (Post 626245)
Yippee! An old favorite from those dreamy Saturday afternoons of yesterday. Great cast, awful puppet.

The cast and plot was good. But the puppet was awful!

When Jeff Morrow went to his neighborhood show with his family , he had never seen the movie. He was the resident movie star in the area.,

Midway he snuck out of the movie with his coat collar turned up!

Great cast - Morrow, Corday, Ankrum

Mara Corday always very watchable!

Reasonable plot

Special effects - Grade Z

The Countess

Robert_Dunbar 09-10-2007 07:17 AM

The ultimate hilarious monster! Good story about Morrow sneaking out of the theater -- thanks.