Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (http://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Latest Horror Movies (http://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   John Carpenter's Village of the Damned (http://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68709)

LuvablePsycho 10-10-2018 03:31 PM

John Carpenter's Village of the Damned
 
MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD!!!


I've never seen the original version only the remake from the 1990's.

Anyways am I the only one who actually felt any sympathy for the colony children in this movie? Yeah they were completely unemotional, looked down on humans, and used their weird glowing eyes to make people kill themselves in violent deaths.

But the one thing I noticed about each death was that the children only killed when they felt threatened. I mean when it comes down to it they were just trying to protect their own species from dying. If they were completely left alone maybe there wouldn't have been so many deaths?

I actually felt kind of sad when they were killed in the explosion in the end but seeing how David was allowed to escape with his mother maybe there was hope of him rebuilding their species? And I think what would help him to survive is that unlike the others he was actually able to develop feelings like empathy and compassion.

Sculpt 10-14-2018 03:36 PM

Woah! You should really write SPOILERS above the last paragraph cause you reveal the ending (I think).

I hate to say it, but I've never seen either film.

I guess the concept never grabbed me enough. I just remember the Carpenter version getting lukewarm reviews. What'd you think? Good film?

LuvablePsycho 10-14-2018 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1034163)
Woah! You should really write SPOILERS above the last paragraph cause you reveal the ending (I think).

I hate to say it, but I've never seen either film.

I guess the concept never grabbed me enough. I just remember the Carpenter version getting lukewarm reviews. What'd you think? Good film?

Sorry I apologize. :( I fixed it now.

Personally I liked it. It wasn't the best of John Carpenter's movies but I found the whole concept of it interesting. I mean you had these mysterious children born in colonies out of human mothers who became pregnant after unexplained blackouts all over the world and the governments wanted to study the strange phenomenon. However the children became quite dangerous. They were very unemotional and felt no empathy or compassion and they were all super intelligent and could read minds, but the scariest thing about them was that if they ever felt threatened (even if it was a completely unintentional accident) their eyes would start glowing and they would make the person kill themselves in a very violent manner.

And the movie never really explained what they were. Were they an alien invasion? Some sort of evolutionary mutation of the human species? Or maybe a secret government experiment?

Sculpt 10-14-2018 04:05 PM

"Unexplained blackouts"? Does Bill Cosby appear in the film? Why are strange births always explained by blackouts?

LuvablePsycho 10-14-2018 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1034169)
"Unexplained blackouts"? Does Bill Cosby appear in the film? Why are strange births always explained by blackouts?

Hahaha! ::big grin::

LuvablePsycho 10-15-2018 10:38 AM

It was actually a really weird "blackout". In the small town that the movie was set in, in the very opening scene there's some sort of festivity going on and every human and animal goes unconscious at once. Some cars end up crashing causing the drivers to die and one man even falls on top of a burning grill and cooks to death while unconscious.

The United States government tries to find out what is happening to the town but anybody who enters the town during the blackout falls unconscious too. And then once everybody wakes up ten of the towns women become mysteriously pregnant with 5 boys and 5 girls. Since these are obviously unnatural pregnancies the government decides to research the children and provide financial support for their "families". Of course as the children grow up they become dangerous and are responsible for killing a lot of the people in the town with their strange mind powers.


And from what I understand the original movie was based on a book called "The Midwich Cuckoos".

Basically these children are like the cuckoo birds. Cuckoo birds like to lay their eggs in the nests of other birds who unknowingly raise their offspring. These children look human but are obviously not human and the women who became mysteriously pregnant and gave birth to them were more like "hosts" than actual mothers, which explains why the children have no attachment to their own parents.

They're basically like an invasive species planning to take over the human species.

Sculpt 10-15-2018 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho (Post 1034207)
It was actually a really weird "blackout". In the small town that the movie was set in, in the very opening scene there's some sort of festivity going on and every human and animal goes unconscious at once. Some cars end up crashing causing the drivers to die and one man even falls on top of a burning grill and cooks to death while unconscious.

The United States government tries to find out what is happening to the town but anybody who enters the town during the blackout falls unconscious too. And then once everybody wakes up ten of the towns women become mysteriously pregnant with 5 boys and 5 girls. Since these are obviously unnatural pregnancies the government decides to research the children and provide financial support for their "families". Of course as the children grow up they become dangerous and are responsible for killing a lot of the people in the town with their strange mind powers.


And from what I understand the original movie was based on a book called "The Midwich Cuckoos".

Basically these children are like the cuckoo birds. Cuckoo birds like to lay their eggs in the nests of other birds who unknowingly raise their offspring. These children look human but are obviously not human and the women who became mysteriously pregnant and gave birth to them were more like "hosts" than actual mothers, which explains why the children have no attachment to their own parents.

They're basically like an invasive species planning to take over the human species.

That is pretty wild. Makes me wonder how it ends.

LuvablePsycho 10-15-2018 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1034218)
That is pretty wild. Makes me wonder how it ends.

Sorry I spoiled the ending. ::sad::

But you might still like the movie.

I want to see the original movie and compare it to the remake.

Sculpt 10-15-2018 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho (Post 1034219)
Sorry I spoiled the ending. ::sad::

But you might still like the movie.

I want to see the original movie and compare it to the remake.

I had my eyes skip over you're last paragraph, so I still don't know that part. I might just watch the ending. ::big grin::

LuvablePsycho 10-15-2018 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1034220)
I had my eyes skip over you're last paragraph, so I still don't know that part. I might just watch the ending. ::big grin::

I think you should watch the whole movie otherwise you might not understand what is happening in the ending. Like why David ends up being the only one of the children to develop emotions.

It's not the best John Carpenter movie but it's still an interesting one in my opinion.

I mean just because a horror movie gets lukewarm reviews that doesn't necessarily make it a bad movie. The 1990 remake of Night of the Living Dead received bad reviews too but years later a lot if people admitted that they actually liked the movie. Same goes for Day of the Dead. ::wink::


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:38 PM.