Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   killer ants, large and small (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68659)

idoneus1957 08-27-2018 07:56 AM

killer ants, large and small

Ants don't have to be big to be scary. I was sure that I saw once in the tv listings a movie that seemed to be based on the short story Leiningen versus the ants (as in army ants), but I couldn't remember the title, so I had to go to imdb. It's The Naked Jungle, starring Charleton Heston. I ought to find it and see it just to see the special effects, I mean how they depicted a wave of army ants back before they had computer assisted special effects.
The story is white-knuckle, edge-of-your-seat stuff.

Sculpt 08-27-2018 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idoneus1957 (Post 1033164)
Ants don't have to be big to be scary. I was sure that I saw once in the tv listings a movie that seemed to be based on the short story Leiningen versus the ants (as in army ants), but I couldn't remember the title, so I had to go to imdb. It's The Naked Jungle, starring Charleton Heston. I ought to find it and see it just to see the special effects, I mean how they depicted a wave of army ants back before they had computer assisted special effects.
The story is white-knuckle, edge-of-your-seat stuff.

I saw that film this year. I liked it. It's weird and the special effects are pretty cool. ::wink::

FryeDwight 08-29-2018 01:20 AM

Have heard good things about this one too. Don't care much for Heston as an actor, but those ants should make up for it.

Sculpt 09-22-2018 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FryeDwight (Post 1033209)
Have heard good things about this one too. Don't care much for Heston as an actor, but those ants should make up for it.

Heston is cast well in this film, he's meant to be a recluse, socially awkward in a cold way and standoffish.

Anthropophagus 10-01-2018 02:07 AM

The Naked Jungle is only good at the latter stages.Most of the movie is a love story which bores me to be honest.Too much lovey dovey and not enough ant action.

Sculpt 10-01-2018 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthropophagus (Post 1033733)
The Naked Jungle is only good at the latter stages.Most of the movie is a love story which bores me to be honest.Too much lovey dovey and not enough ant action.

Yeah, it's a little bit like 'The King and I' in the beginning, but it's really trying to be 'Heart of Darknest' (Joseph Conrad novella, being premise for Apocalypse Now)... and it's a bit like Kongo (1932) in that respect, just not that dirty, though Heston is surprisingly dirty in the beginning.

Dickey 11-24-2019 11:47 PM

Maribunta!

Anthropophagus 05-11-2020 09:37 AM

Two ant movies i love are Them,and also a lesser known flic Phase 4.Both equally worth watching.

Ferox13 05-11-2020 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthropophagus (Post 1042500)
Two ant movies i love are Them,and also a lesser known flic Phase 4.Both equally worth watching.

Phase 4 has some amazing Ant acting in it...