Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   TV Shows (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Z Nation: new zombie tv-series (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65090)

Baron Von Marlon 09-12-2014 11:21 PM

Z Nation: new zombie tv-series

Three years since a zombie virus devastated the United States, a group must transport the only known survivor three thousand miles from New York to California, where the last functioning viral lab waits for his blood. His antibodies are the world's last best hope for a vaccine. However, he harbors a dark secret that threatens them all.

http://www.syfy.com/znation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z_Nation

Premiere was this friday.
Haven't seen it. Will start watching when the season's finished.
I have doubts since it's from the Syfy channel but Vikings ain't bad so this good be alright too.

In other zombie news: a spin-off from The Walking Dead is confirmed.

Damn Heathen 09-14-2014 05:08 AM

Think TWD with a fraction of its budget and with horrible camerawork. I'll check out the last ep to see if things improved.

Monkey Astronaut 09-14-2014 07:02 PM

About time Syfy did their own zombie series. Some of the casting is good and it starts out pretty fast paced. Some decent gore but nothing as good as Greg Nicotero.

SPOILERS

The vaccine premise at least provides a bit of hope in what is otherwise a dire situation. Nice Walking Dead reference mentioning the ex-cop at the prison. I wasn't expecting them to kill off the best actor on the show in the first episode. The baby zombie scenes in this episode were pretty awful and I'm not a fan of running zombies either.

The Villain 09-15-2014 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baron Von Marlon (Post 977874)
Three years since a zombie virus devastated the United States, a group must transport the only known survivor three thousand miles from New York to California, where the last functioning viral lab waits for his blood. His antibodies are the world's last best hope for a vaccine. However, he harbors a dark secret that threatens them all.

I have doubts since it's from the Syfy channel but Vikings ain't bad so this good be alright too.

Isn't Vikings on The History Channel?

Monkey Astronaut 09-19-2014 07:09 PM

"Fracking Zombies!" I thought the second episode was much better. The DJ Qualls scenes were actually kind of good and the oil refinery is a pretty interesting setting. Nice to see the Z-Whacker return.

Geordie9 09-20-2014 10:18 AM

I enjoyed it. It seems to be getting a lot of bad reviews though but i think thats just down to The Walking Dead being such a success

Baron Von Marlon 09-22-2014 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Villain (Post 978037)
Isn't Vikings on The History Channel?

Oops! My mistake.

Monkey Astronaut 09-27-2014 03:13 AM

Not as good as the last but a pretty solid episode and the DJ Qualls scenes continue to be entertaining.

ImmortalSlasher 09-28-2014 04:34 PM

I watched the first episode a few weeks ago and forgot. I just wasn't feeling the show. I thought the baby zombie was kind of silly. I didn't like any of the characters either except the guy from Lost. The show just felt like a cash in on the zombie craze and far from a Walking Dead type of show.

Baron Von Marlon 09-28-2014 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher (Post 979604)
The show just felt like a cash in on the zombie craze and far from a Walking Dead type of show.

That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Monkey Astronaut 10-04-2014 04:17 AM

"Full Metal Zombie" was decent.

SPOILERS

Romero and Night of the Living Dead are confirmed to exist in the Z Nation universe. It's great to see Bill Moseley show up as General McCandles. The DJ Qualls scenes were kind of funny as were the scenes with Doc stuck in the ventilation shaft. Glad he survived and excellent fake out at the end.

Geordie9 10-05-2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baron Von Marlon (Post 979615)

agreed

BLACKTALON 10-05-2014 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baron Von Marlon (Post 977874)

I always see the previews for this show looks pretty good but my gf isn't into scary movies! Liked walking dead.

ImmortalSlasher 10-06-2014 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baron Von Marlon (Post 979615)

True but when they don't bring anything new and the characters aren't noteworthy then it can be a bad thing.

tfantasy 10-10-2014 12:15 AM

I am very interested in this show but I don't have Syfy channel ::sad::

Monkey Astronaut 10-10-2014 07:00 PM

SPOILERS

"Home Sweet Zombie" The zombies running into the electric fence scene was kind of funny as was the drill bit breaking off in dude's skull. Murphy starting to look part zombie. Since it's Syfy I assumed the tornado would have more zombies flying around in it.

Monkey Astronaut 10-17-2014 07:00 PM

Episode 6 "Resurrection Z" This show just keeps getting better and better.

SPOILERS

The DJ Qualls intro was good and helped set the mood for the following creepy cult scene nicely. I like seeing the group having to improvise after being unarmed and killing the zombie with the electric hand mixer is one of the best kills so far. I wasn't expecting Charlie to be the one to die.

Monkey Astronaut 10-24-2014 09:02 PM

Episode 7 "Welcome to the Fu-Bar"

SPOILER

I like how the group keeps running into different pockets of survivors. Splitting up the group should be interesting. The outhouse zombie was pretty funny.

Monkey Astronaut 10-31-2014 08:00 PM

Episode 8 "Zunami"

SPOILER

The DJ Quall scenes were outstanding, his best yet. Yuri turning out to be a hallucination was an excellent twist although you could see it coming. The mass zombie migration is an interesting idea. Doc's thoughts when he was locked in the morgue made me laugh. Murphy is a huge asshole, at least he came back for the group though. I'm expecting him to be able to control the zombies even more as time goes on.

Rawhead Rex 11-03-2014 12:34 PM

The show is definitely finding it's own legs and catching a nice pace...
Going out on a limb by killing not one, but now 2 of it's male leads.
I hear it's already been approved for a second season.
But woah at zombie boy just opening that fuckin door at the end...knowing mom and kiddo are upstairs...
That reminded me of Ayra and the Hound, when he stole farmer dude's silver...explaining that he was too weak to survive, so he may as well lose his silver now. Seeing the woman and kiddo cringing...he swiped their food cuz I guess he didn't figure they'd be alive long enough to eat it...then...turned around and sped up their death by letting the walker in.
That was cold and from one of the main characters, definitely a darker turn in personality and, perhaps, evolution into...what...a walker?

Monkey Astronaut 11-08-2014 07:56 AM

Episode 9 "Die, Zombie, Die... Again"

SPOILERS

Addy & Mack are kind of boring on their own and the Groundhog Day dream scenario quickly got annoying. However the actress that plays Addy is quite good and the episode picks up a bit in second half.

Monkey Astronaut 11-16-2014 06:58 AM

Episode 10

SPOILERS

"Going Nuclear" The irradiated zombies actually looked kind of cool. Russell Hodgkinson continues to be enjoyable as Doc. I like seeing Warren step up and lead the team. The Murphy scenes were pretty funny.

Monkey Astronaut 11-22-2014 02:57 PM

Episode 11 "Sisters of Mercy"

SPOILERS

The actress who played the cult leader was pretty creepy although sort of sympathetic. I'm kind of surprised Abby allowed her self to be manipulated like that and sad to see the actress Anastasia Baranova leave the show. The zombie bear was actually kind of cool. I wasn't expecting the biker they chained up to survive. Once again the Murphy scenes were kind of funny. Can't say I care that they killed off Mack though.

Monkey Astronaut 11-28-2014 09:07 PM

Episode 12 "Murphy's Law"

SPOILER

Murphy golfing was hilarious. Glad they're continuing to explore his abilities. Great ending.

Monkey Astronaut 12-05-2014 10:36 PM

Episode 13 "Doctor of the Dead" was the most suspenseful episode yet.

SPOILERS

I liked the flashbacks with Dr. Kurian. The gory lab tech was the best special effects makeup of the series so far. Interesting they turned Cassandra into a zombie hybrid. Glad Doc didn't actually die. That's one hell of a cliffhanger.

Baron Von Marlon 12-08-2014 09:44 PM

Finished the first season and I think it's great.
Two episodes were a bit less but that's still 11 outta 13 good ones. The series also has a good pace.
Characters are basic but interesting enough. Just like the storyline.
Acting's better than average. Writing's alright.
Less drama than The Walking Dead and more action and humour.
The series doesn't take itself too serious and I like that. They made a reference to Romero. And another one to Sharknado.
And they call zombies zombies or z's. Because that's what they are.
Instead of,
read the following sentence in a southern accent and like you're out of breath,
"We call 'em walkers..." and everybody just goes along with calling them that because hey, it's related to the name of the show.
They do the same in Z-Nation but to me it makes more sense when they do it =)

Anyway, if you like zombie action with some dry humour, you'll probably like Z-Nation.

Baron Von Marlon 08-23-2015 10:48 PM

Season 2 starting in a couple of weeks.
If you haven't seen the first one, check it out!

tfantasy 08-25-2015 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baron Von Marlon (Post 999262)
Season 2 starting in a couple of weeks.
If you haven't seen the first one, check it out!

Awesome! Been waiting for it!!

Serpenthrope 08-30-2015 05:49 AM

I'm hyped as hell! This is my favorite show!

I'm in the minority, because I actually gave up on Walking Dead after Season 1, but Z Nation never ceases to entertain me.

Murphy is hilarious, and 10K is a badass!

Anthropophagus 09-01-2015 11:22 AM

Ok,here in Blighty we are only on episode 7,which i have yet to see.

My verdict.......................i love it.The Walking Dead has got very tired for me,in fact i almost gave it up at the end of series two.They spend far too long in the same location week after week and throw in a zombie at the end as a reminder what the show is.

Z-Nation,has a smaller budget but to be honest i like that.It is not all about FX.I also love the change in scenery each week,not stuck in the old place all the time,like the farm and the prison in TWD.I also love the Murphy character and his abilty to blend in with the dead and not get eaten,that has very interesting plot ideas for the future i feel.

All the characters i actually care about unlike TWD where the only one of any merit is Daryl.So,as i said we are only into ep 7 so a long way to go to catch up with you guys but so far, so very good.

Monkey Astronaut 09-13-2015 08:16 AM

SPOILERS

Season 2 Episode 1 "The Murphy" So Happy this show is back and more importantly the Z-Wacker. Great intro and I'm glad they got right into the action. The gore in this episode was decent as well. The nukes exploding was crazy and the scientist who hid in the frig burning was really cool. The frozen zombies DJ Qualls had to fight off looked pretty good. Not sure who fired the missile that blew up the nuke though maybe an automated defense system. The scene with Murphy in the shopping mall had me cracking up as did the zombie strippers and it's interesting seeing what he's becoming. Roberta was badass saving that girl and I'm enjoying her character arc. The fire extinguisher kill was hilarious. Preview for the rest of the season looks fun.

Monkey Astronaut 09-19-2015 06:01 PM

SPOILERS

Episode 2 "White Light" Lots of good action throughout this episode. Doc's out-of-body experience made me laugh. The DJ Qualls scenes were pretty tense.

Monkey Astronaut 09-27-2015 12:57 AM

SPOILERS

Episode 3 "Zombie Road" Doc and Murphy tokin' with that dude had me cracking up. I thought the wagon train was pretty cool and I liked seeing the group hook up with more survivors. It was interesting seeing Murphy not being able to mind control the Blasters. I thought they really nailed the action throughout this episode and for the most part the special effects makeups and gore looked really cool.

Baron Von Marlon 12-08-2015 04:04 AM

Since the previous season had 13 episodes and episode 13 was called Adios Muchachos I thought the season was over.
So last weekend I binged episodes 1 to 13 NOT knowing there were still two more coming up. And now I have to wait!

Anyway, I freakin' love this show. It' so damn entertaining!

Anthropophagus 12-08-2015 11:12 AM

I love it too.Silly i know but fun all the way.

Baron Von Marlon 12-19-2015 09:55 PM

Another season done. I wonder what they'll have in store for the next one.
Wouldn't mind a change of scenery.

Baron Von Marlon 12-26-2016 10:18 PM

Finished season 3.
Still good but there was less humour which is something didn't like.