Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Last Seen 70s/80s Movie (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31568)

Roiffalo 11-21-2015 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1006268)
Absolutely! A film that awes. Unfortunately, not many of them.

Depends on the audience I think. I saw it once or twice as a kid and didn't think anything of it. It was more intellectual than visual (which is generally what holds a child's attention), so when I saw it as an adult with actual attention and understanding, it was a fantastic film. I would even say one of my favorites from the 70s/80s era. And I just die whenever I see someone make references to the sculpting scene in another movie!

SerialKiller 11-22-2015 03:14 PM

They Live-1988. Great fun. ::cool::

KarlaMauricio 11-22-2015 04:30 PM

The reason why i don't like to go to the sea

Jaws- 1975 ::sad::

Ms.Macabre_91 11-22-2015 05:46 PM

The Thing (1982)

One of my favorite John Carpenter movies.

Ms.Macabre_91 11-22-2015 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarlaMauricio (Post 1006410)
The reason why i don't like to go to the sea

Jaws- 1975 ::sad::

Yeah that movie is awesome. I always make sure I watch it at least once during the summer.::smile::

Repo'd 11-23-2015 04:14 PM

Messiah of Evil

SerialKiller 11-23-2015 10:02 PM

Rabid-1977. My first Marilyn Chambers movie. ::embarrassment::

Cinematic Shocks 11-24-2015 08:02 AM

The Centerfold Girls (1974)

*** out of ****

Martha 11-25-2015 06:11 AM

The Howling!

Great werewolf movie.

Only topped by the original one with Lon Chaney, Jr.

Sculpt 11-25-2015 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martha (Post 1006575)
The Howling!

Great werewolf movie.

First time you see it?

Those are my two favorite werewolf films, by far.

::::::SPOILERS BELOW!::::::::::::::::
The opening... the cinéma vérité style... really blew my hair back. Then Dante backed off of that, and the rest of the film was a fairly interesting tale, with some really heavy scenes, especially the scene where the maniac changes into a werewolf & takes the bullet out of his head. Lastly, I always kinda wondered why, when the heroine reporter changes into a werewolf on air, why they made her a Lon Chaney Jr type of wolf, with a short snout, instead of the terrifying wolves they had already established?

Repo'd 11-25-2015 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1006608)
First time you see it?

Those are my two favorite werewolf films, by far.

The opening... the cinéma vérité style... really blew my hair back. Then Dante backed off of that, and the rest of the film, I it was a fairly interesting tale, with some really heavy scenes, especially the scene where the maniac changes into a werewolf & takes the bullet out of his head. Lastly, I always kinda of wondered why, when the heroine reporter changes into a werewolf on air, why they made her a Lon Chaney Jr type of wolf, with a short snout, instead of the terrifying wolves they had already established?

For the cuteness.

Martha 11-25-2015 10:06 PM

No.

I have seen both films many, many times.

Great horror and werewolf movies.

Cinematic Shocks 11-26-2015 01:54 PM

Blood and Lace (1971)

*** out of ****

horcrux2007 11-27-2015 01:49 PM

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)

Having never seen any of the Star Wars movies (don't kill me, I just wasn't that interested) and another entry coming out in December, I decided to marathon all six of them to prepare myself for the latest chapter. Starting out with the original movie, I have to admit I was somewhat disappointed. I definitely enjoyed it, but I'm just hoping this isn't the best installment in the series. A New Hope focuses on the Rebel Alliance, led by Princess Leia, and its attempt to destroy the Galactic Empire's space station, the Death Star. A farmhand named Luke Skywalker acquires droids that have the architectural plans for the Death Star. The Empire searches for the missing droids, and Luke agrees to help Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi to get the plans to the Rebel Alliance and save the galaxy from the Empire's tyrannical rule. The only reason I was slightly disappointed by the movie was because the first 45 minutes or so were just plain boring. The initially slow-moving plot and cornball dialog didn't really impress me much. What kept me watching was the amazing set pieces and cinematography; it really made up for the flaws the beginning of the movie had. The last half of the movie, however, is incredibly entertaining, fun and action-packed. The climax especially was breathtaking and impossible to forget. The imaginative world also makes me excited to watch the rest of the series. There were quite a few flaws with the original Star Wars that disappointed me a bit, but once it gets going, A New Hope is an undeniably fun ride that I wish to take again.

8/10

Roiffalo 11-27-2015 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martha (Post 1006575)
The Howling!

Great werewolf movie.

I hate to nit pick but how you mean by original? The Howling was the first howling title that I'm aware of, and there were other werewolf movies prior to Lon Chaney.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1006608)
Lastly, I always kinda of wondered why, when the heroine reporter changes into a werewolf on air, why they made her a Lon Chaney Jr type of wolf, with a short snout, instead of the terrifying wolves they had already established?

I had always thought she wasn't done changing yet. Surely her friend wouldn't let her turn all the way when she'd be more powerful and harder to kill. Had to knock her off before she could get to far.

Sculpt 11-27-2015 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Repo'd (Post 1006636)
For the cuteness.

LOL! Yes, that is exactly what I thought. If you thought that too, that's probably it. Dante!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roiffalo (Post 1006759)
I hate to nit pick but how you mean by original? The Howling was the first howling title that I'm aware of, and there were other werewolf movies prior to Lon Chaney.

I think Martha just means the original one The Wolf Man, period. Maybe she's not aware of Werewolf of London, or is just keeping things simple.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roiffalo (Post 1006759)
I had always thought she wasn't done changing yet. Surely her friend wouldn't let her turn all the way when she'd be more powerful and harder to kill. Had to knock her off before she could get to far.

Makes sense. But, I don't know, it's been a long time since I've seen it, but the scene crescendos (the music, the shot)... presenting her it all her horror, and I believe she was silent and not moving, indicating she was done.

Sculpt 11-27-2015 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horcrux2007 (Post 1006757)

Having never seen any of the Star Wars movies (don't kill me, I just wasn't that interested) and another entry coming out in December, I decided to marathon all six of them to prepare myself for the latest chapter. Starting out with the original movie, I have to admit I was somewhat disappointed. I definitely enjoyed it, but I'm just hoping this isn't the best installment in the series. A New Hope focuses on the Rebel Alliance, led by Princess Leia, and its attempt to destroy the Galactic Empire's space station, the Death Star. A farmhand named Luke Skywalker acquires droids that have the architectural plans for the Death Star. The Empire searches for the missing droids, and Luke agrees to help Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi to get the plans to the Rebel Alliance and save the galaxy from the Empire's tyrannical rule. The only reason I was slightly disappointed by the movie was because the first 45 minutes or so were just plain boring. The initially slow-moving plot and cornball dialog didn't really impress me much. What kept me watching was the amazing set pieces and cinematography; it really made up for the flaws the beginning of the movie had. The last half of the movie, however, is incredibly entertaining, fun and action-packed. The climax especially was breathtaking and impossible to forget. The imaginative world also makes me excited to watch the rest of the series. There were quite a few flaws with the original Star Wars that disappointed me a bit, but once it gets going, A New Hope is an undeniably fun ride that I wish to take again.

8/10

Glad you finally saw it!

Sorry you found the first 45mins boring. I think it's more of an era piece than some people realize. The dialogue and sensibilities are very late 60's early 70's (like Han calling Leia "sister".

The first 45mins wasn't boring or slow to me, though I was a kid when I first saw it. Still, if you don't mind me saying so, you kinda have to soak in the atmosphere and characters... the sets/costumes/music are designed to take you out of who and where you are, and transport you into this world. Got to let that happen. A New Hope is the best at doing that.

Empire Strikes Back is faster moving, as are all the rest, though Empire is considered the "other good film". You'll probably find Empire more engaging. But still, you have to let go of your conscious self... seriously. Don't miss the experience by being a critic during the film. You only get one chance to see it for the first time. Seriously.

horcrux2007 11-27-2015 05:55 PM

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

Improving on almost every aspect of A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back manages to be the rare sequel to undeniably top its predecessor in both quality and entertainment value while still not feeling rehashed. This was the Star Wars I wanted with the original, and it was extremely satisfying. In The Empire Strikes Back, the Galactic empire is on the hunt for Luke Skywalker and the rest of the Rebel Alliance. While Darth Vader is chasing Han Solo, Princess Leia and others across the galaxy, Luke studies the force under Jedi Master Yoda. Structurally, the film isn't as controlled as A New Hope, featuring long action scenes intertwined with dialog-heavy scenes of characterization, but that's an easily forgiven issue. The intense action scenes and darker plot make this a more involving film than its predecessor, and the young actors seemed a lot more confident in their roles. The Empire Strikes Back is an exciting film from start to finish, especially during the final thirty minutes when Luke faces off with Darth Vader. George Lucas really knows how to make a memorable climax. Although it does get a little cheesy right at the end, The Empire Strikes Back is a great improvement to its predecessor, and it set a high bar for movie sequels.

9/10

Roiffalo 11-27-2015 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1006771)
I think Martha just means the original one The Wolf Man, period. Maybe she's not aware of Werewolf of London, or is just keeping things simple.

I thought that might be what she meant, but if she appreciates Wolf Man, she really should give Werewolf of London a watch. The make up for the Wolf Man was supposed to be used it it after all. If Henry Hull didn't hate the process and time it took to wear it, maybe this movie would've been the iconic classic that everyone remembers. But who knows...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1006771)
Makes sense. But, I don't know, it's been a long time since I've seen it, but the scene crescendos (the music, the shot)... presenting her it all her horror, and I believe she was silent and not moving, indicating she was done.

Could be. I saw it more as she was loosing herself to the monster, still fighting it's killer instincts or whatever. It's so brief you could really theorize it a lot of different ways.

Baron Von Marlon 11-27-2015 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horcrux2007 (Post 1006757)

Having never seen any of the Star Wars movies (don't kill me, I just wasn't that interested)

I often wonder what other classics (older known movies) you haven't seen yet.
Don't mean anything by it. I'm just a curious person.

horcrux2007 11-28-2015 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baron Von Marlon (Post 1006802)
I often wonder what other classics (older known movies) you haven't seen yet.
Don't mean anything by it. I'm just a curious person.

There are a couple classics that I've never seen, but usually it's movies that I watched when I was younger and wasn't paying attention to like Titanic or Back to the Future or Indiana Jones. I've seen those but I want to watch them for real since it's been so long since I've watched those. As for Star Wars, I just was never that interested in watching them until now. I don't know if this even makes sense lol.

Actually, I now remember that I saw Episode III in the theater when I was 5 years old. I don't remember anything from it, so I need to watch it again. I've also seen parts of Phantom Menace but not the whole thing. Stuff like that.

horcrux2007 11-28-2015 12:08 PM

Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983)

I've finally come to the finale of the original trilogy, and although I still can't say I'm a huge fan of the franchise, I've really enjoyed all three of the original Star Wars films, even if there are glaring flaws that no one seems to talk about. Of the original trilogy, Return of the Jedi definitely has the most noticeable problems, but it does end the series in a suitably ambitious and entertaining fashion. In Return of the Jedi, the Galactic Empire is building a second Death Star to finally destroy the Rebel Alliance, and Emperor Palpatine is personally overseeing the project. The Rebel Fleet launches a full-scale attack onto the Death Star in order to prevent its completion and kill Palpatine. Meanwhile, Luke Skywalker attempts to bring Darth Vader out of the Dark Side of the Force. The action scenes in Episode VI are a bit more inconsistent than in the other movies, but I have to mention the speeder bike chase scenes. It's without a doubt my favorite scene in the series so far because it's so fast-paced, well shot and intense. It was definitely the highlight of the movie. One of the weaker action scenes was a bizarre set piece with the Ewoks. The entire scene was just awkward; I find it hard to believe that a primitive race of small hairy creatures armed with sticks could defeat the Imperial stormtroopers. Return of the Jedi also didn't improve on the cheesy father-son plot from The Empire Strikes Back. Watching Luke pitifully try to convince Darth Vader to step away from the Dark Side was groan-inducing. Nevertheless, the strengths of the Star Wars series are still on full display here. The utter imagination and detail put into the universe is incredible, and the film is just as exciting as its predecessors. Return of the Jedi isn't as competent as the previous films, but it is a satisfying and sporadically rousing conclusion.

7/10

Sculpt 11-28-2015 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horcrux2007 (Post 1006818)
Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983)

I've finally come to the finale of the original trilogy, and although I still can't say I'm a huge fan of the franchise, I've really enjoyed all three of the original Star Wars films, even if there are glaring flaws that no one seems to talk about. Of the original trilogy, Return of the Jedi definitely has the most noticeable problems, but it does end the series in a suitably ambitious and entertaining fashion. In Return of the Jedi, the Galactic Empire is building a second Death Star to finally destroy the Rebel Alliance, and Emperor Palpatine is personally overseeing the project. The Rebel Fleet launches a full-scale attack onto the Death Star in order to prevent its completion and kill Palpatine. Meanwhile, Luke Skywalker attempts to bring Darth Vader out of the Dark Side of the Force. The action scenes in Episode VI are a bit more inconsistent than in the other movies, but I have to mention the speeder bike chase scenes. It's without a doubt my favorite scene in the series so far because it's so fast-paced, well shot and intense. It was definitely the highlight of the movie. One of the weaker action scenes was a bizarre set piece with the Ewoks. The entire scene was just awkward; I find it hard to believe that a primitive race of small hairy creatures armed with sticks could defeat the Imperial stormtroopers. Return of the Jedi also didn't improve on the cheesy father-son plot from The Empire Strikes Back. Watching Luke pitifully try to convince Darth Vader to step away from the Dark Side was groan-inducing. Nevertheless, the strengths of the Star Wars series are still on full display here. The utter imagination and detail put into the universe is incredible, and the film is just as exciting as its predecessors. Return of the Jedi isn't as competent as the previous films, but it is a satisfying and sporadically rousing conclusion.

7/10

Yes, Luke's first meeting Vader on Endor is so cringe inducing. I've enjoyed mimicking luke from that scene for laughs a long time. Hamill is basically mentally disabled in that scene.

Mark was Oscar worthy in New Hope, and cringe worthy in Jedi. Highlights of Jedi were the last space fight for the Deathstar, and Luke's long encounter with the Emperor.

Morningriser 11-28-2015 05:06 PM

I sobbed like a little bitch when I was a child during Yoda's death.

I refuse to own any of these newer cuts of the film considering each one butchers it more than the previous. When they release the threatrical versions on DVD or BR I will get them

Sculpt 11-28-2015 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morningriser (Post 1006837)
I sobbed like a little bitch when I was a child during Yoda's death.

I refuse to own any of these newer cuts of the film considering each one butchers it more than the previous. When they release the threatrical versions on DVD or BR I will get them

greedo never shoots

Baron Von Marlon 11-28-2015 07:27 PM

Speaking of Star Wars, how many of you have seen the Family Guy parody on
Episode IV - A New Hope (1977). Bloody brilliant! The others aren't bad too but the first one's the best.

Or Spaceballs.

Death Wish (1974)
A/B

Death Wish II (1982)
A/B
Great sequel. Perhaps better than the first one.
Quite brutal for the time, me thinks.

Always loved vigilante and revenge movies.

DeadbeatAtDawn 11-29-2015 05:02 AM

An American Christmas Carol, 1979. 8/10

http://admin.highdefdigest.com/picture/original/37278

FryeDwight 12-01-2015 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks (Post 1006720)
Blood and Lace (1971)

*** out of ****

I like this one a lot too...so many TV actors in there and story is SO sleazy::shocked::! ***1/2

hammerfan 12-01-2015 06:52 AM

The Boys From Brazil

The Bloofer Lady 12-03-2015 05:37 PM

DR. HECKYL AND MR. HYPE 1980

Kind of a reversal. Dr. Heckyl (Oliver Reed) is a disfigured,gentle foot doctor. Mr. Hype(still Oliver Reed) is a handsome and seriously vain lady killer.

Real strange little movie but good!

FryeDwight 12-04-2015 07:11 AM

MAUSOLEUM (1982). Pretty cheesy, but funny little flick with the sexy Bobbee Bresee offering most of the fun, especially >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SPOLI LER ALERT!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
with the chomping biting boobies she has towards the end! Honest! **1/2

newb 12-04-2015 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FryeDwight (Post 1007211)
MAUSOLEUM (1982). Pretty cheesy, but funny little flick with the sexy Bobbee Bresee offering most of the fun, especially >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SPOLI LER ALERT!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

agree....she's pretty hot even with the biting boobs.

Fearonsarms 12-06-2015 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FryeDwight (Post 1007211)

I agree its cheesy but I really like it

The Bloofer Lady 12-07-2015 05:43 PM

GRAVE SECRETS 1989

This movie has a made for tv feel to it but I really enjoyed it. A woman is haunted in a house she has bought to use as a bed and breakfast.

Its a fairly disturbing story as to who it is haunting her.

Roiffalo 12-08-2015 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bloofer Lady (Post 1007160)
DR. HECKYL AND MR. HYPE 1980

Kind of a reversal. Dr. Heckyl (Oliver Reed) is a disfigured,gentle foot doctor. Mr. Hype(still Oliver Reed) is a handsome and seriously vain lady killer.

Real strange little movie but good!

I needed this. Always relief when I see you post a movie I want to watch, Bloofer! Knowing you watch movies on YT, it was easy to find. 8)

This movie is a treasure. ::big grin::
Very funny, I didn't expect Oliver Reed to deliver such a performance after such a glum character in Curse of the Werewolf. And I loved the appearance reversal, it deserves another go with a more serious tone.

The Bloofer Lady 12-08-2015 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roiffalo (Post 1007425)
I needed this. Always relief when I see you post a movie I want to watch, Bloofer! Knowing you watch movies on YT, it was easy to find. 8)

This movie is a treasure. ::big grin::
Very funny, I didn't expect Oliver Reed to deliver such a performance after such a glum character in Curse of the Werewolf. And I loved the appearance reversal, it deserves another go with a more serious tone.

It is a little treasure, isn't it! ::cool::

FryeDwight 12-08-2015 06:15 AM

THE SEVERED ARM (1973-?). When living in the Chicago area (1976-79), my brother and I saw this many times. Cave In survivors learn the price one pays for munching on one of their own.
Pretty low grade with Motel 6 interiors, but a decent little flick and more fun than it sounds. ***

Tracy133 12-08-2015 06:24 AM

Ended up falling asleep while watching Videodrome. Not because I think it sucked. I was just tired::big grin::
I've got a thing for Cronenberg::love::

Roiffalo 12-08-2015 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bloofer Lady (Post 1007428)
It is a little treasure, isn't it! ::cool::

Yes, indeed! Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Bloofer! ::love::

Lord Voldemort 12-08-2015 06:46 PM

Fri The 13th Part 4.