Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Last Seen 70s/80s Movie (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31568)

Sculpt 06-16-2019 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis (Post 1038579)
Marathon Man: Good stuff. Hoffman was on point, Sir Laurence Olivier was convincing as a creepy Nazi. Also funny to see a young William Devane.

It's one of those classic seventies thrillers. Is it okay to say they don't make'em like that anymore?

I guess it's not safe to...

FryeDwight 06-17-2019 01:02 AM

ARTHUR (1981). Dudley Moore's drunk act is more depressing than funny these days and the film itself hasn't aged so gracefully, but still a fun watch of a "Poor Little Rich Boy" looking for true love. Many good character actors, but feel a slumming John Gielgud (who won an Oscar for this ) grabs the film and runs with it and he provides the most laughs, particularly when he visits Linda apartment. ***

Sculpt 06-17-2019 10:54 AM

Thunderball (1965)
6/10

The 4th James Bond film staring Connery. It was fun to see where most of the parody content for the Austin Powers original film came from, which is this film -- the cat in the lap, Number 2, the card game introduction, ransom to NATO/UN, etc. But other than that, the story and plot is not very engaging at all (in contrast to the excellent Goldfinger film). It seems more like a parody of the previous Bond films in that it seems to be going through the motions with the Bond clichés, but it still seems to be taking itself seriously, and hasn't yet become overtly ridiculous (relatively speaking to the later Connery/Moore films). There's a rather lack of setup for scenes which could otherwise be suspenseful and otherwise weighty to the plot. Because there's very little character development given to the supporting characters around Bond we of course don't care about them and don't become invested. There's some Bond fun to be had, but much of it, especially the ending sea battle becomes very tedious.

Mile 06-29-2019 12:16 AM

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094752/
Black Roses

Really cheesy but cheesy in a good way. I watch this a few times a year. I love how the girls turn into monster sluts and Lizzy Borden on the soundtrack. All of my VHS tapes have been in storage (far away) for years. So I was reduced to watching it with Russian audio yelled over the English online until now. I found it streaming in English finally.

FryeDwight 06-30-2019 11:48 PM

DAY OF THE DEAD-1985. Talked to my brother yesterday and he told me Joe Pilato *(Captain Rhodes) passed away recently::sad::. So in honor of JP (who was awesome at cons) , I will watch him chew the scenery with panache and have one of the funniest albeit disgusting exit lines.

Sculpt 07-01-2019 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FryeDwight (Post 1038739)
DAY OF THE DEAD-1985. Talked to my brother yesterday and he told me Joe Pilato *(Captain Rhodes) passed away recently::sad::. So in honor of JP (who was awesome at cons) , I will watch him chew the scenery with panache and have one of the funniest albeit disgusting exit lines.

Why does Rhodes yell Salavar at the end? I know which character he was, but I don't get it.

FryeDwight 07-03-2019 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1038742)
Why does Rhodes yell Salavar at the end? I know which character he was, but I don't get it.

Maybe despite all his venemous comments, He had a soft spot for Miguel::love::, as Steele said. "Hey...it's gonna be a long Winter!"
And here I always thought it was "Choke on 'Em!"::big grin::::stick out tongue::

BIG BAD MAMA (1973). Ideal Roger Corman Drive In fare with Angie Dickinson with her two daughters trying to grab a piece of the American Dram via Bootlegging/Armed Robbery/Kidnapping etc. Plenty of slow spots, but entertaining enough and AD looks incredible in her early 40's. Her nude scenes were a big selling point as POLICE WOMAN came out on TV a year or so after this, but the most frightening parts involve making whoopee with William Shatner::shocked::! Maybe that's why Captain Kirk was always leaving the bridge::big grin::! ***

Mile 07-05-2019 09:58 AM

The Curse 1987
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVgikAaoKtE

Cheesy but I still like it.

Bloof 07-07-2019 04:29 AM

DAY OF THE DEAD 1985

Just because.

Scarecrows 07-12-2019 10:07 AM

The Fog...One of the best 80 movie.::smile::

Tommy Jarvis 07-13-2019 11:28 PM

Friday the 13th Part III - I understand Tracie Savage is now a TV reporter. Has anyone seen her work?

PillarOvSkulls 07-14-2019 09:39 AM

I just rewatched the entire child's play franchise and it only reinforced my rejection of the 2019 reboot

FryeDwight 07-14-2019 11:38 PM

BIG BAD MAMA 2 (1987). More like a remake than a sequel, BBM2 continues the adventures of Angie Dickinson grabbing the Brass ring via larceny with her daughters. They are played this time by Julie McCoullough ( GROWING PAINS, PLAYBOY Playmate) and Danielle Brisebois (ALL IN THE FAMILY) doing the nude scenes, while Angie uses a very obvious body double with Robert Culp, although she still looks great. **1/2

Mile 07-17-2019 01:14 AM

Black Christmas 1974

Bloof 07-17-2019 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile (Post 1038868)
Black Christmas 1974

Freakin' awesome movie!

Tommy Jarvis 07-17-2019 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloof (Post 1038871)
Freakin' awesome movie!

²

Mile 07-18-2019 01:20 PM

Hell Night 1981
With Linda Blair. This movie kicked ass. 8/10

Blood Tracks 1985
It was ok. 6/10 Redneck Slasher with a hair metal band and 80s hair metal sluts.
Really cool chopped in half scene and a really memorable line "We tried to escape from your world"

Mile 07-18-2019 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloof (Post 1038871)
Freakin' awesome movie!

And there isn't much gore at all, it works more on atmosphere and creepiness.
It's an old favorite.

FryeDwight 07-19-2019 12:25 AM

STAR WARS (1977). Have reviewed this before, but the edition we watched was the unadulterated version. Though not a huge fan of the series, SW does have a certain charm to it that all the later additives cannot touch. Just a shame that the only way to get the films that the real fans want, one must pursue different avenues (ie Conventions, Bootlegs, Pirated copies etc). ***1/2

Sculpt 07-19-2019 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis (Post 1038833)
Friday the 13th Part III - I understand Tracie Savage is now a TV reporter. Has anyone seen her work?

No, haven't seen her reporter work. what's ya think of Part 3?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FryeDwight (Post 1038889)
STAR WARS (1977). Have reviewed this before, but the edition we watched was the unadulterated version. Though not a huge fan of the series, SW does have a certain charm to it that all the later additives cannot touch. Just a shame that the only way to get the films that the real fans want, one must pursue different avenues (ie Conventions, Bootlegs, Pirated copies etc). ***1/2

Agreed. The original version is much better than 'Lucas' additions version'. Good that he restored it, but I sure hope they have an unaltered refurbished edition.

The new 'Lucas edition' doesn't flow as well. Some things are OK, like seeing some outside shots of Mos Eisley, but they aren't necessary. The scene with Han and Jabba the Hut is horrible and jarringly out of place. Of course the worst crime is reversing Han shooting Greedo first. Not saying Han wasn't justified to shoot first, but he wasn't willing to risk his life with a bounty hunter who just said he was going to kill him... self preservation was his top priority. The film is about character change and redemption, including Han's change, so you don't want to start Han as a saint.

Anyway, I think New Hope is a great film, and the best one. I think Mark Hamill gave a stellar performance that makes the whole film work.

hammerfan 07-22-2019 04:38 AM

Prince of Darkness

Tommy Jarvis 07-22-2019 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1038893)

Well, since I bring up side subjects, I have already seen it a bunch of times.

But I still enjoy it. In my opinion, one of the better Fridays.

I enjoyed the cheesiness of the 3D and the fact that this viewing kept reminding me of Brad's review of the flick. And of course a few good kills.

MichaelMyers 07-23-2019 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oro13 (Post 1038271)
The New York Ripper ( 1982 )

https://www.gbhbl.com/wp-content/upl...2/New-York.jpg

Synopsis: In this romantic comedy, Fulci tells the tale of a madman loose in the Big Apple who’s penchant for sadistically torturing and butchering nubile young women has the police baffled. The killer’s brutal and misogynistic M.O. is eclipsed, only by his bizarre tendency to taunt the police in a “ Donald Duck voice “ as they race to catch him before the body count rises.

Oh man, they sure don’t make ‘em like they used to. This is one of THE prime examples of sleaze the genre has to offer, and its fuckin’ great! The absurdity of a killer that quacks as ( to quote the movie’s coroner )
” He used a blade. Stuck it up her joy trail, and slit her wide open “ manages to be both extremely graphic and hilarious at the same time. The fact that every guy in this flick is a scumfuck degenerate to some extent ( even the hero detective ) whom treat women somewhere between bad and like shit, works as excellent commentary reflective of the times and still manages to ring true to this day unfortunately. It’s a grimy, disturbing, and nasty little film that pulls no punches in it’s portrayal of abuse and violence towards women in all its forms, set to a rockin’ score by Francesco De Masi.

The only real downfall of the film, is in its whodunnit plot point. The killer’s identity is easy to decipher, as the handful of characters we are introduced to sport only one obvious red herring, and he’s too damn obvious to be it ( though he is a cock smoker... You have to watch it, lol.) and that’s not to mention that the back of the box literally shows the murderer attacking our heroine... Fucking oops.

Overall, if you’re in the mood for a giallo that is more mystery and atmosphere, maybe check out Argento’s Profondo Rosso or Fulci’s Don’t Torture a Duckling. But, if you’re looking for something that’s light on plot, but big on gore and the kind of sleaze that makes you wanna take a shower afterwards, this is one of the very best there is.

Rating: 8 body part fetching dogs, out of 10

How did you find this film?

SauceyJack 07-26-2019 01:29 AM

City of the Living Dead is the only film that I turned off before the end. I was 12 at the time. Found the gore too much. A priest hung himself and then came back as a zombie tearing someone's brain out of their head. I'd like to watch it again as it's probably more comical than scary. A bit like The Evil Dead. Found that frightening when I watched it as a kid but generally laugh at it today

Sculpt 07-26-2019 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis (Post 1038923)
Well, since I bring up side subjects, I have already seen it a bunch of times.

But I still enjoy it. In my opinion, one of the better Fridays.

I enjoyed the cheesiness of the 3D and the fact that this viewing kept reminding me of Brad's review of the flick. And of course a few good kills.

I kinda liked Part 3D too. I like to kid about the Friday the 13ths, but I thought 1 and 2 were decent for slashers, but I also still think they are pretty silly, and basically formulaic repetitive hacks to say something like Halloween.
Quote:

Originally Posted by SauceyJack (Post 1038973)
City of the Living Dead is the only film that I turned off before the end. I was 12 at the time. Found the gore too much. A priest hung himself and then came back as a zombie tearing someone's brain out of their head. I'd like to watch it again as it's probably more comical than scary. A bit like The Evil Dead. Found that frightening when I watched it as a kid but generally laugh at it today

It was probably hard for Sam Rami and Bruce Campbell to play it straight. There's a wire of funny running through it. ::big grin::

Tommy Jarvis 07-27-2019 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1038989)
I kinda liked Part 3D too. I like to kid about the Friday the 13ths, but I thought 1 and 2 were decent for slashers, but I also still think they are pretty silly, and basically formulaic repetitive hacks to say something like Halloween.

Well, a good formula makes being formulaic less bad imo. Then again, I also love Murder, She Wrote, which is about as formulaic as it gets.::wink::

DeadbeatAtDawn 07-28-2019 03:02 AM

Knightriders, 1981. 6/10

Director: George A. Romero

https://66.media.tumblr.com/745ecdc0...i20jo1_500.gif

https://66.media.tumblr.com/fec989d0...db29o1_500.gif

Stephen King makes a cameo in George Romero’s Knightriders cuz they were working on the Creepshow script.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/993b647f...tb8lo1_400.gif

Bloof 07-29-2019 11:25 AM

THE MIDNIGHT HOUR 1985

Made-for-tv. Cute film about a group of teens that steal costumes from a museum and inadvertently bring the dead back to life on Halloween. Shari Belafonte...::love::

Bloof 07-30-2019 04:51 PM

LADY STAY DEAD 1981

An obsessed man kills the girl of his dreams and then proceeds to terrorize her sister.

FryeDwight 07-31-2019 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1038893)

Agreed. The original version is much better than 'Lucas' additions version'. Good that he restored it, but I sure hope they have an unaltered refurbished edition.

The new 'Lucas edition' doesn't flow as well. Some things are OK, like seeing some outside shots of Mos Eisley, but they aren't necessary. The scene with Han and Jabba the Hut is horrible and jarringly out of place. Of course the worst crime is reversing Han shooting Greedo first. Not saying Han wasn't justified to shoot first, but it's a story of character development/change and redemption. You don't want to start Han as a saint.

Anyway, I think New Hope is a great film, and the best one. I think Mark Hamill gave a stellar performance the makes it all work.

What I think Lucas doesn't get -and WISH He would get-in despite what he sees as flaws, the fact is SO MANY PEOPLE love, flaws and all those first three films (SW, EMPIRE, JEDI) as they are. It's similar to the old adage, "If it ain't Broke, Don't fix it"

Sculpt 07-31-2019 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FryeDwight (Post 1039027)
What I think Lucas doesn't get -and WISH He would get-in despite what he sees as flaws, the fact is SO MANY PEOPLE love, flaws and all those first three films (SW, EMPIRE, JEDI) as they are. It's similar to the old adage, "If it ain't Broke, Don't fix it"

So true. And films take a life of their own. The film doesn't always tell the story, or convey all the points, the writer or director intended. Sometimes the film makes other unintended points.

I heard the writer of Donny Darko said there was real time travel in the film, but it's not in the film he made. The film speaks for itself.

Plus I'd read interviews with song writers who say a song meant one thing, and then years later they say it meant something else. What they're intention might have been isn't nearly as important as the stand alone product.

cryptkeeper666 08-04-2019 02:40 AM

The Last Slumber Party (1988)
watched it last night around 8 or 9 something.

cryptkeeper666 08-04-2019 02:42 AM

And had some larosas's pizza too.

Bloof 08-04-2019 04:25 PM

MOUNTAINTOP MOTEL MASSACRE 1983

Such a creepy little VHS gem. An old woman tortured over the recent loss of her daughter, starts renting out rooms again in her hotel.

Bloof 08-10-2019 03:30 PM

ALISON'S BIRTHDAY 1981

A young girl returns to her childhood home for her 19th birthday. But this turns out to be more than a simple birthday party.

Sculpt 08-11-2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloof (Post 1039124)
ALISON'S BIRTHDAY 1981

A young girl returns to her childhood home for her 19th birthday. But this turns out to be more than a simple birthday party.

Looks interesting. What'd ya think?

Bloof 08-11-2019 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1039134)
Looks interesting. What'd ya think?

I liked it. A bit stodgy, nothing really dramatic happens. Cool ending.

DeadbeatAtDawn 08-11-2019 04:15 PM

The Perfume of the Lady in Black, 1974. 7/10

Director: Francesco Barilli

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/image...03242303_1.png

blaze mordecai 08-11-2019 05:15 PM

Anyone like Sleepaway Camp?

What do you guys think of the sleepaway camp series?
My favorites were part 2 and 3.

Bloof 08-12-2019 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaze mordecai (Post 1039144)
What do you guys think of the sleepaway camp series?
My favorites were part 2 and 3.

I thought the first one was phenomenal. I remember 2 and 3. Think i liked 2 but not sure about 3.