Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Alfred Hitchcock The Father of mystery (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65474)

idoneus1957 05-09-2018 08:03 AM

father of mystery?

Father of mystery? There are a lot of classic mystery movies that were made before we ever heard of Hitchcock, like The Cabinet and the Canary.
Every time they find an old story which they think is the oldest detective story, somebody finds an older one. It's like trying to trace the origin of baseball.

LuvablePsycho 10-13-2018 05:53 AM

The only one I've seen is Psycho and bits of The Birds (I really need to sit down and watch the whole movie).

You know what I loved about Normon Bates as a character? Despite being a serial killer I could actually pity him because of his genuine insanity. The real Normon seemed like a kind and awkward guy but his abusive mother was still controlling him even after her death so when he "became" his mother and killed people it was that evil aspect of his own mother's personality that was taking over Normon's sweet and child-like demeanor.

I really couldn't help but feel bad for the poor guy. ::sad::

Sculpt 10-13-2018 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idoneus1957 (Post 1030900)
Father of mystery? There are a lot of classic mystery movies that were made before we ever heard of Hitchcock, like The Cabinet and the Canary.

Every time they find an old story which they think is the oldest detective story, somebody finds an older one. It's like trying to trace the origin of baseball.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho (Post 1034103)
The only one I've seen is Psycho and bits of The Birds (I really need to sit down and watch the whole movie).

I mostly hear Hitchcock called the 'Master of Suspense'. He does that well. To a fair extent suspense in a film is due to the film direction (as opposed to the written story, assuming it wasn't an originally a screenplay). Hitchcock didn't write his films, so we certainly give him due credit as a director.

Anyway, Luv, so you've only seen Psycho and bits of the Birds? Cool, you're in for lots of cinema treats with Hitchcock's films. I'd recommend watching 'Rope (1948)'. It was written for stage, and Hitchcock does a good job making it into a film. It's still very stagey, but in a good way. It's suspenseful for sure, but it also has a good message.

My favorite Hitchcock is 'Dial M for Murder (1954)'. It's suspenseful too, but also a mystery, it's a thinker, you get to figure out how and why while you're watching the film, which is fairly rare in film.

A lot of Hitchcock's films have horror elements to them, and I tend to only recommend Dial M, Rope, Psycho and Birds.

Lots of people tend to like his other classics a bit more than I do... I enjoyed all of these, but a bit of a mixed bag: Vertigo, The 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes, Rear Window, Rebecca, To Catch a Thief, North by Northwest.

LuvablePsycho 10-13-2018 09:29 PM

I know The Birds is one I really want to see so that I can finish watching it. I mean I'm curious as to why those birds started killing people and did anybody make it out alive?

I remember how disturbed I was at the scene of the children running from the school and I think one of the little girls got attacked and killed and all you could see was her broken glasses falling to the ground.

Shocking! ::shocked::

Sculpt 10-14-2018 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho (Post 1034135)
I know The Birds is one I really want to see so that I can finish watching it. I mean I'm curious as to why those birds started killing people and did anybody make it out alive?

I remember how disturbed I was at the scene of the children running from the school and I think one of the little girls got attacked and killed and all you could see was her broken glasses falling to the ground.

Shocking! ::shocked::

You find out the birds just want more bird feed.

LuvablePsycho 10-14-2018 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1034153)
You find out the birds just want more bird feed.

This movie would have been the perfect chance for Normon Bates to go from villain to hero and save the town by turning the birds into taxidermy trophies for his collection. ::wink::

Sculpt 10-14-2018 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho (Post 1034154)
This movie would have been the perfect chance for Normon Bates to go from villain to hero and save the town by turning the birds into taxidermy trophies for his collection. ::wink::

Very true! He could finally setup shop in Hawaii.

anglewitch 10-14-2018 05:23 PM

Holy shit i forgot all about this thread. Who re-inflated this corpse?

LuvablePsycho 10-14-2018 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anglewitch (Post 1034178)

When there is no more room in hell, the threads will walk the earth.

Sculpt 10-14-2018 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anglewitch (Post 1034178)

Internal gasses. Pretty sure. ::big grin::