Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Latest Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Last Seen Contemporary Movie (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63920)

MichaelMyers 04-20-2013 05:53 PM

Dante's Inferno
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...KL._SY300_.jpg

Was a little hesitant because I am not a big fan of anime or animation horror, but this turned out OK. Companion piece for the video game. Deducting some stars because this is not a faithful adaptation of the text.

6.5 out of 10.

_____V_____ 04-21-2013 07:33 AM

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...8L._SY300_.jpg

Absolutely loved it. Big fan of the original and the sequel, plus Tarantino, and this did not disappoint at all.

Christoph Waltz was a hoot to watch. But the moment of the movie for me came when contemporary Django met classic Django:

(01:07:40)

"Franco Nero: What's your name?
Jamie Foxx (after a small pause): Django.
Franco Nero: Can you spell it?
Jamie Foxx: D-J-A-N-G-O.
(turning towards Franco Nero)
Jamie Foxx: The D is silent.
Franco Nero (staring back knowingly): I know."

Me - hairs standing on base of neck.

Rated - * * * *

The Horror fan 04-21-2013 12:40 PM

Blood River (2009)

This this movie as been I watch list for so long.

This movie about Clark and Summer, a married couple and Summer is newly-pregnant, and Clark is worried that her father will be critical of him.

long the way the one of their car has a blowout and Clark is sure that he put spare in the boot of the car.

It's start of really intruding but next 45 of mintues were very slow burner, with nothing much happens and talking to one and other, Where it getting really boring, I was thinking out turn off after that but I clad I didn't!

The last half hour were it's really pick up again and more things start to happen,
You think this movie is going way but they really clever with as total throw you off what really happening.

Really good turn in the story, as I didn't see it coming at all, it kind of makes sense it ending

The acting was really good from the whole cast in this movie.

5.9 out of 10

ZombieBurgerDeluxe 04-21-2013 03:57 PM

The Wicked

It was like a horror film made for ABC Family. As cliched as it gets you know your thin of script when you need to retell the myth of the wicked about 3 times. Some of the most appalling CG blood I've seen in recent memory. Bad, just bad. 2 out of 10

Giganticface 04-21-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roshiq (Post 948701)

I have this in my Netflix streaming queue but wasn't sure if it was worth the time. The synopsis is intriguing. Glad to hear someone else's experience. Thanks for posting.

The Horror fan 04-23-2013 12:34 PM

Salvage (2009)

This was low British horror, with a short cast and short running time only 79 minutes

Movie start off with paper boy, who ends up getting caught for peeking for window, soon we had run for life after that, something should have not seen, that person is after him.

Then movie on Father and Daughter, father is telling is daughter to see her mother for Christmas holidays , Daughter is not happy with her mother but as come home, they could of worse start of off, Which end arguing on street and end up staying with neighbours.

As mother is trying to get her daughter a swat to seem come out of now where and force back in doors, looked thought the house.

For most of time, No knows what really happing and there some brief news on tv for fews seconds but I wasn't to sure what their were saying on news but powers goes out.

Thought the movie, she tries to get her daughter and she goes thought a lot to their, their was decent bloody moment in this movie, not gory but can gurgling at times .

The acting was great from the very Small cast and ending up movie good but I kinda of knew that was going to happen.

There were dull moment in the movie, What bugged me at times was, This place the movie was set looked so familiar and then hit, this was same set of Brookside the Axed soap from UK!

6 out of 10 Good movie

The Horror fan 04-24-2013 08:50 AM

Ooga Booga (2013)

Ooga Booga follows an innocent African American boy who is brutally murdered by dirty cops, but his soul is magically transferred into an action figure named Ooga Booga

I know you maybe thing this sounds just like "He Who Kills" one of stories in Trilogy of Terror.

This is doll not were near as scary at all , I found the doll a little to nice to be scary and Kill were just dull as it same kill thought the movie.

The whole movie felt empty but thing nice about this was Karen Black started in this movie, which was only funny think about, as it not her first with doll like this.

2 out of 10

GrimlyFiendish 04-24-2013 08:54 AM

Saw Evil Dead at the weekend. Went through a few phases with it. I spent the first twenty minutes thinking it was rubbish. Then the action kicked in and I loved it. Then I hated it towards the ending.

When I woke up the next day, I looked back on it and I think I loved it as a one off. I'm not sure I'd watch it again but it was fun as a one time viewing.

I did that with Cabin in the Woods too. Hated it at the cinema, but woke up the day after and thought about it, and realised it was actually amazing.

Just watched that today too, the scene with all the different monsters etc. is incredible. Especially the unicorn. :)

_____V_____ 04-24-2013 11:01 AM

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...LL._SY300_.jpg

Unnecessary and inferior remake. Found a new drool-worthy item though -

http://katiecassidysite.webs.com/kat..._cosmo_004.jpg

http://i500.listal.com/image/1107092/500full.jpg

(has nice legs too)

horrorfangirl66 04-24-2013 04:48 PM

The Bay (2012)

I rented this via Netflix because I had heard some good things about it. Living on the water myself I found it even more interesting and this content was even creepier because it was not so far-fetched like a lot of other horror is. The government response and the contamination was very realistic.
I enjoyed it.

7/10

Disease 04-24-2013 04:50 PM

Jeff who lives at home

Mind numbingly boring piece of total crap.. I was wanting to watch a comedy, I didn't laugh once, almost switched it off after 30 minutes, but gave it a second chance then when it got to an hour I was going to switch it off again, but the movie had dragged me into such a deep state of apathy from it's nothingness that I couldn't move to grab the remote and so watched it until it switched itself off.

.05/10

Ferox13 04-25-2013 07:23 AM

Last Seen Movie

Lords of salem:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lem-teaser.jpg
I really didn't think much of it. I didn't think it was complete crap though. It reminded me a little of Rosemary's Baby.

On the plus side it was nice to see RZ tackle new material and go in different direction. Also SMZ acting in was too bad either.

They were listed in the credits but I didn't see Sid Haig or Michael Berryman anywhere...

That spooky music was pretty spooky too.

Also The new Evil Dead - pretty disappointed but I had high hopes for it.

Bob Gray 04-25-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferox13 (Post 948903)
Lords of salem:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lem-teaser.jpg
I really didn't think much of it. I didn't think it was complete crap though. It reminded me a little of Rosemary's Baby.

On the plus side it was nice to see RZ tackle new material and go in different direction. Also SMZ acting in was too bad either.

They were listed in the credits but I didn't see Sid Haig or Michael Berryman anywhere...

That spooky music was pretty spooky too.

Also The new Evil Dead - pretty disappointed but I had high hopes for it.

Can't wait to see The Lords of Salem, I loved HoaTC and TDR so I'm really looking forward to seeing some new material from Rob.

ChronoGrl 04-25-2013 10:02 AM

Evil Dead (2013)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...psed6d8b40.jpg

I was honestly very impressed with this - Loved the updated story, special effects, and makeup. This movie was definitely gory and brutal and had a few moments that really eeked me out - It made me jump, it made me cringe - All in the right ways. (Roshiq's sig is TOTALLY one of those moments that eeked me out!)

Also, Jane Levy as Mia was a LOT of fun to watch - Perfect in that role. I also think that it was very successful in NOT recreating an Ash character - That was a standout point for me because, well, you can't recreate Ash.

Small issue with the film - I wasn't a huge fan of Shiloh Fernandez as David (though the issue could have been with how his character was written) - I thought that the character was a bit lame and made some pretty bad decisions... Also, the end REALLY dragged on a bit.

That being said, I really liked it and I think it's a must-see for every horror fan out there, be you an Evil Dead fan or not.

_____V_____ 04-25-2013 10:34 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the ED remake, Chrono.

----------------------

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...FL._SY300_.jpg

Excellent film, with some well fleshed-out characters and a nice story. Not recommended to those who don't like their films dark, moody and depressive. A must-watch for everyone else.

The Horror fan 04-25-2013 11:13 AM

Machine Head (2000)
A teenager creates a machine to raise the dead for a science experiment

Who did the casting job in this movie, really hard believe this people in mid or Over 25's playing Teens, are you kidding me.

If that not worst thing about it, is that no one person can actually act in this movie, The acting this movie horrendous bad.

I Just could not take any more of it after 45 min mark.

The script was so bad, it was just playing stupid , some scenes didn't make sense at all.

No gory death this movie, no cool zombie effect at all.

The only nice to say about this movie is that neat DVD cover 1 out of 10

The Horror fan 04-26-2013 11:08 AM

May I Kill U? (2012) it came out on 11 January 2013 (UK) I don't how I missed this .

This is British Horror however it's more like Dark Thriller with some dark Humor mixed in.

This movie start with scene from the UK riots 2011, how these thugs took over.

Baz (He a cop) and is partner are cycling, one of thug from th gang throws something at him, that makes his bike tip over and then Baz hits his head on the pavement.

Which lead him having some really bad head aches now and again / Baz is so fed with these thugs, so he had another idea how to clean up the street.

Baz turns into psycho cop, Who kills people, that have been doing bad things, while he kills these people, He also films them with his helmet cam, then post these videos on the internet with fake name.

Though out this movie, we see him text and twitter tweets and he ends up gaining a number of followers on twitter who are happy about what he is doing.

I found this movie to be very intruding, I really liked this movie, nice clever plot to the movie, with one or two laugh and moment but i would not call it comedy at all nor did have much horror.

The kills in this are just violent but not bloody or gory kills, which I thought could made this movie tad darker then it already was.

The acting was really good in this movie from whole cast!

6 out of 10, very Stranger Dark Thriller

Ferox13 04-27-2013 01:28 AM

Reservoir Dogs

http://swoonsandsnarls.files.wordpre...01_img0413.jpg

Damn - I just never get sick of this film. By far my fave of QT's movies.

Never Back Down 2: The Beatdown

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV...0,214,317_.jpg

I dunno whether it's my shit taste in films or the fact I was on my 4th can of cider but I really enjoyed this film. It's way better than the first one - Michael Jai White has a good knack for invoking the feeling we once enjoyed watching 80's martial arts films. It also teaches you the basics the rubber guard and the fight scenes are pretty good too.

More Than Horror 04-27-2013 07:04 AM

Just watched "Contagion" - not horror, bot spectacular, but good. i enjoyed it.

MichaelMyers 04-27-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _____V_____ (Post 948933)
Thanks for the heads up on the ED remake, Chrono.

----------------------

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...FL._SY300_.jpg

Not recommended to those who don't like their films dark, moody and depressive. A must-watch for everyone else.

V...........you are on a horror forum. ;)

The Villain 04-27-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelMyers (Post 949027)
V...........you are on a horror forum. ;)

A girl gets raped and murdered and then "haunts" her family. Sounds like horror to me ;)

Geek 04-27-2013 09:33 PM

The Evil Dead Remake..and I will NEVER watch it again.

Continuity was a bitch from the get go, I didn't really care about any of the characters and it lacked any and all charm that the old one had.

It's the original or nothing for me, I was waiting for this film to end.

Ferox13 04-28-2013 01:09 AM

Crying Fist

http://film.thedigitalfix.com/conten...st_r2front.jpg

Two seperate but converging stories about 2 lost men who find redemption through boxing. Min-sik Choi (Oldboy) is excellent as an aging ex-Olympian fighter who hires himself out as a 'human punchbag'.

hammerfan 04-28-2013 02:31 AM

Underworld: Evolution

MichaelMyers 04-28-2013 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Villain (Post 949028)
A girl gets raped and murdered and then "haunts" her family. Sounds like horror to me ;)

I was commenting more on the "stay away from this if you dislike dark, moody, depressive movies." :D

The Horror fan 04-28-2013 04:47 AM

Maniac (2012)

Finally seen this movie, I been looking forward too remake if more then Evil Dead remake this year, It only been about 6 or 7 week since I saw Manica (1980) I thought it was very decent gory movie.

This stray really true the Original movie, this time tried to make a lot dark with the whole POV angle was not bad at all, it could of be better, It gave intense scenes for the first half of the movie as the movies , I did get a bit bored of POV.

The acting was better then I thought it be, I thought Elijah Wood Great Job playing Psychos, he was very believe-able ans creepy in this movie, yet I do think it was to young to play this role, he still did great Job but still not as good as Late Joe Spinell who a lot more psycho mad.

I was little disappointed with the gore-wise in this movie, not much until near the ending scenes of the movie, which I thought decent but again not as gory as Original or as fun. (That scene also confused me cause,Spoiler: when the dead women were ripping his face off, there was another face under Elijah Wood (Ends)

I liked how they gave a bit of the back story in flash back, in way it's make sense why he is doing what he is doing.

I going to give this movie 7 out of 10

_____V_____ 04-28-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelMyers (Post 949039)
I was commenting more on the "stay away from this if you dislike dark, moody, depressive movies." :D

Yes, but there are the ones who love their Resident Evils & Underworlds more than the Repulsions and Requiem of a Dreams. That was for them. :)

The Horror fan 04-28-2013 11:13 AM

The Experiment: Who's Watching You? (2012)

The movie is about Mary who just low or Jon at strip club after arguing with her husband who just dump her, which makes her horny.

So reach low bottom and get place for self, not know she be watching by some ones, who gives her drugs .

This a really bad movie start with some positive stuff there 2 things that I actually liked in this movie one was when title came on screen and screaming in background of those scenes.

Also so of nudity were nice in the was okay in the movie, the rest of the movie was very boring, I didn't like how the movie flowed at all.

Scenes to cut and movie to next scenes and some scenes just drag on for far to long which add to the boredom of the movie and we get the most pointless rape scenes ever and kills the Guys who been watching her and then we she old pills in front her, then these flash black of just happened 30 seconds ago and then we see knock out couch, This was 61 minutes mark of the movie and that when credits start to roll

but then she get to guy talking about why he made this movie in between the credits, I could not care what the hell he was on about!

The acting from the lead is really bad as was rest of the cant

I am watching and reviewing this movie at the same time

2 out of 10

The Helpers (2012)

Well the cover of this movie made me think it was one of those hand held camerae movies The Last broadcast/ PA movies.

So I was little surprised when I watch it that it wasn't but how the rest of movie is basically same plot at vacancy that meet the cast of Hotel.

I was bored with this movie, I could not get into these movies at all, the death in this movie were so carbon copies of other deaths in other horror movies.

The acting from the whole cast, I don't maybe one of worst acted movies, I have seen, it even worse soaps actors.

I just clad this movie wasn't long then it was and I could get care less About one in this movie.

2 out of 10 The only reason I watched this cause I was bored, Don't make the same mistake!

ChronoGrl 04-29-2013 08:13 AM

The ABCs of Death (2012)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps8046136a.jpg

Man. I had been looking forward to this for quite some time, but I have to say, I was ridiculously disappointed. I actually liked the concept - Pulling some pretty great and well-known horror directors together to do a series of short films... But ultimately most of the films were disappointing or just plain lazy. I'll pull out some highlights (and low points):

High Points
I is for Ingrown by Jorge Michel Grau (We are What We Are)
Really intense, dark, and well-acted.

L is for Libido by Timo Tjahjanto (V/H/S)
Very disturbing, in a Visitor Q sort of way...

P is for Pressure by Simon Rumley (Red, White & Blue)
The only movie that gave you a true dark character study

V is for Vagitus by Kaare Andrews
Good scif- short

X is for XXL by Xavier Gens (Frontiers)
Absolutely brutal

Y is for Youngbuck by Jason Eisener (Hobo with a Shotgun)
Disturbing and well-done

Low Points

Self-Indulgent, self-referential crap:
  • Q is for Quack by Adam Wingard, Simon Barrett <-- Reminded me of everything I hated about Rubber
  • W is for WTF by Jon Schnepp (Metalocalypse)
  • R is for Removed by Srdjan Spasojevic (A Serbian Film)

Odd-random-"disturbing"-crap (I'm soooo over weird Asian movies)
  • F is for Fart by Noboru Iguchi (Machine Girl, Mutant Girl Squad) <-- I thought Iguchi was overrated with the aforementioned films and now I'm just done. This film was just garbage.
  • Z is for Zetsumetsu by Yoshihiro Nishimura (Tokyo Gore Police) - Siiiiiiiigh. Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein girl was enough of a turn-off - This short was just offensive, but not in a clever or amusing sort of way. Gag.
  • H is for Hydro-Electric Diffusion by Thomas Malling - This short should have been better than it was.

And pretty much all of the other pieces that I haven't mentioned were relatively forgettable. WOW what a waste of talent.

HUGE disappointment.

roshiq 04-29-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChronoGrl (Post 948924)
Evil Dead (2013)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...psed6d8b40.jpg

I was honestly very impressed with this - Loved the updated story, special effects, and makeup. This movie was definitely gory and brutal and had a few moments that really eeked me out - It made me jump, it made me cringe - All in the right ways. (Roshiq's sig is TOTALLY one of those moments that eeked me out!)

What!?! I thought it was from upcoming American remake of Carved aka A Slit-Mouthed Woman??!!

(Just kidding:D)

I haven't seen new EVIL DEAD flick but from the trailers/clip & screen shots, it seems the quality of gore looks kinda poor (quite jucy instead of thick).

ChronoGrl 04-29-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roshiq (Post 949082)
What!?! I thought it was from upcoming American remake of Carved aka A Slit-Mouthed Woman??!!

(Just kidding:D)

I haven't seen new EVIL DEAD flick but from the trailers/clip & screen shots, it seems the quality of gore looks kinda poor (quite jucy instead of thick).

AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!! Of course that reference to Carved made me look up images to the movie - WHY?! WHY DID I DO THAT?! I'm going to have nightmares now of my jaw falling off in addition to my common nightmare of my teeth falling out. *shudder* THANKS, ROSHIQ. :p

I'm surprised you haven't see this yet. I thought you'd be all over it. I actually thought the gore looked really good.

roshiq 04-29-2013 11:16 AM

Jack Reacher (2012)

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p...pscef6e5e2.jpg

Tommy boy tried hard but as far I heard & read about the series I think he was actually miscast for the role. Moreover, this adaptation could have done more stylish & entertaining way, IMO.

>>: C+

Dario Argento's Dracula (2012)

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p...psd544da20.jpg

The most horrible part of this movie was CGI effects. The characters were very one-dimensional & dull but the effort was fine regarding adapting Stoker's timeless classic with a kind of different approach. Anyway, that hot chick Miriam Giovanelli was very impressive and quite fit to play any Bond Girl role, IMO!
What ever happened to Dario?...after watching the film, I was even thinking this can be an interesting theme for a documentary.

>>: C-

The Last Stand (2013)

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p...pse1e9ba60.jpg

Time passing, somewhat like a tired tribute for old-school action movies but quite disappointed as a Kim Ji-woon flick.

>>: C+

Under the Bed (2012)

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p...psf1c0cc3b.jpg

Good cast & well acted but too long considering the story which should have been done in 30 to hardly 35 minutes.

>>: B-

roshiq 04-29-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChronoGrl (Post 949084)
AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!! Of course that reference to Carved made me look up images to the movie - WHY?! WHY DID I DO THAT?! I'm going to have nightmares now of my jaw falling off in addition to my common nightmare of my teeth falling out. *shudder* THANKS, ROSHIQ. :p

I'm surprised you haven't see this yet. I thought you'd be all over it. I actually thought the gore looked really good.

lolz!

Yeah...the gore quality isn't so important thing for me actually and thus after reading your review & a negative reaction from fortunato; I'm still very much looking forward to check this out but I have to wait for the dvd release here.:(

Giganticface 04-29-2013 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek (Post 949030)
The Evil Dead Remake..and I will NEVER watch it again.

Continuity was a bitch from the get go, I didn't really care about any of the characters and it lacked any and all charm that the old one had.

It's the original or nothing for me, I was waiting for this film to end.

It's definitely a love it or hate it thing. I loved it.

horror2night 04-30-2013 12:51 PM

Just watched saw for the 5. time. Saw is just amazing and I i get the creeps every time I watch the ending. Cheers :D

metternich1815 04-30-2013 08:15 PM

The Evil Dead (2013)

Ferox13 05-01-2013 01:44 AM

Vengeance (2009)

http://www.moviexclusive.com/review/...nce/poster.jpg

Not my fave Johnnie To film but still really enjoyable. The characters/acting are great (especially Anthony Wong and his partners) but what let this down for me was the gun fights. One in particular just seemed silly. Still good stuff though..

The Horror fan 05-01-2013 10:54 AM

Rogue River (2012)

Marra is of to scattering her father ashes at a remote part of Oregon's beautiful Rogue River.

She is interrupted by some stranger and then finds that car as be taken away.

The stranger then takes to his house with his girlfriends and they both tell her to stay their for night.

This movie just felt really boring, I didn't really find it all that intense at all but they did try to make a bit, I don't think worked out that well at all.

I found the whole movie very predicable as knew already what going to happen and how the movie was going to end way before the ending of the movie.

The acting wasn't bad at all, some decent acting from most of cast, I did laugh some scenes, I not sure why!

4 out of 10

The Devil's Carnival (2012)

I not fan of Musical horror, i just about like The Nightmare before
Xmas, it was one of the only musical movies that I liked.

i Liked the open scenes of this movie, 3 different people, who are
being asked to open the door.

Then soon end up in very strange place and get even stranger, when this
weird stranger people start to dance and sing in the movie.

There might be some catching tunes in this movie, that may stay in back
head for few days after seeing this movie and I didn't like some songs
at all, found very dull, there some decent singer in this movie, so it
not too forced

I did seem to drift away from time to time while watching this movie as
never kept hooked as the little plot this movie had moved very slowly.

The acting was really good this movie, which I Did not expect, it was
fun watch that for sure and it dose go on for too long to repeat same
thing for short run time

I give 5 out of 10

roshiq 05-01-2013 11:18 AM

Resolution (2012)

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps234dbd63.jpg

An interesting indie horror that's already got some rave reviews from different horror communities in its pocket. It requires careful attention from the viewers though the premise seems very simple. But I'm not sure whether it's capable to satisfy every other genre fan for its unusual 'drama-like' approach & 'the ending'.

>>: B

The Lords of Salem (2012)

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p...psfbe03e30.jpg

The plot was like somewhat a cross between our favorite classics like Rosemary's Baby & Argento's 3 mothers' stories but I think it's by far the most frustrating flick from RZ. Though it's got a good cast, budget & few decent set designs and even the story actually got a bit of potential to show some bloody-bizarro twists & turns but disappointingly it turned out quite flat with uninteresting characters & very low on gore & body count which is also I think, pretty unusual for a R. Zombie movie.

>>: C

The Horror fan 05-01-2013 11:50 AM

Rise of the Animals (2011)

I could not stop laughing though out this movie, not cause the jokes were funny but the movie is self was so awful on so many levels it was about Hilariousness bad

This movie was very bloody and there lots Bloody moment in this movie was the good think about this movie

The rest of the movie was just.....

The animals attack were so bad, they are stuffed up animals attacking people and if not stuffed up there are some really bad effects, it's has to some of the worst effect I have ever seen in this movie, which make this movie even more laughable.

The acting in this movie is also really horrendous form most of the cast in the movie.

I swear, I don't what to rate this 1 out of 10 for being one the worst movies ever or 10 out of 10 for one the funniest movie I have sat thought.