Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indie Horror Movies and Short Films (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10614)

filmmaker2 10-08-2004 09:17 PM

Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things

Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things (1972)

Now this is a seriously effed-up indie horror flick. I'm sure a lot of people here have seen it? Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?

Dark_Hero 10-11-2004 03:43 AM

Never heared of it....

But the name rules!

zwoti 10-11-2004 07:07 AM

old school zombie film.

knife_fight 10-15-2004 08:35 PM

I like this movie. Isn't this movie also titled "The Night Evelyn came out of Her Grave"? I think those may be separate. But regardless, CSPWDT is fun.

FilthyCannibal 10-18-2004 07:10 PM

It's a decent movie for what it is I guess. I've seen worse.

filmmaker2 10-31-2004 10:31 AM

A still...

Here's an image from one of the various websites on this movie:

Rated PG!

urgeok 11-01-2004 06:32 AM

its another one i have on laser ... the really funny thing is - is that they included a paper in the laser thats a kind of disclaimer so that you dont sue them if the movie messes you up or something like that ! :)

filmmaker2 11-01-2004 06:55 PM

Aha!

Another Laser maniac! I have that on laserdisc too. In fact, there is a funny, and rather pathetic story that goes with that disc...

Well, when the disc was first announced (1998? I think), a lot of people in Los Angeles put in advance orders on it, because the announcement said that each disc came with an original copy of the movie's pressbook. Original, meaning, not a reprint. (Everyone assumed that a box of these had turned up in someone's attic.) And furthermore, the first 500 discs ordered would have their pressbooks autographed by Clark and Ormsby.

Now, 500 is not a lot of discs. Everyone wants to be in that first 500, right? The fans out here were going crazy, because they had some technical problem and the disc's release was months late. Laserdisc stores who had placed the advance orders for all us poor schmucks were getting phone calls every day. "Is it in yet? Where's the disc?? We want the disc!!" So everyone who had plunked down a down-payment was just frothing at the mouth waiting for the damn thing. It just goes to show how obsessed the hardcore fans of this film really really are.

When the shipments of discs finally arrive MONTHS later, it turns out that the pressbook is actually a reprint, but nobody cares because they've been waiting for months for the thing.

In the end it was worth waiting for, because the image quality is better (less compressed) than what they eventually released on DVD. But now there's talk of a NEW transfer of the film, from a different print, coming from some British company. I am very interested in seeing this!

I,ZOMBIE 11-02-2004 03:44 PM

the dead hate the living

I like filmaker2!!! this guy is good! i don't usually think many people on here are cool because for the most part they're rude or stupid or know nothing of horror, but this guy know his shit and he's nice. I want to get in with your studio or whatnot!!!

i've seen children shouldn't play with dead things and ahhhh... well, i like tombs of the blind dead 2 better. have you guys seen the dead hate the living? it's a good movie to say: wow how many times have we wanted to make our zombie movie and haven't? and i could do better than this crap! look for prop re-use and bad makeup! oh yeah i like the dead hate the living more than children shouldn't play with dead things!!!!

urgeok 11-03-2004 09:12 AM

Filmmaker ... that is funny !
Who would have thought there was 500 fans ? :)

I forgot that was Bob Clark !!

Most people wouldnt know but he did Porkys, Black Christmas, and A Christmas Story.

Bob has a Canadian connection .. Black Christmas was filmed here as was part of Porky's ...
I thought Children ...etc was filmed in Canada as well .. or on one of the 1000 islands on St. Laurence river ... not sure though ..

I am indeed a laserdisc junkie ... have a decent collection .. about 1300 of them. (my favorite is the Phantasm boxset signed by the director and scrim ..
Also the Hellraiser boxset with the signed barker script ...

Thats the coolest thing about lasers .. the dont do fun stuff like that with DVD ..

urgeok 11-03-2004 09:14 AM

re the dead hate the living ...
I didnt like it .. a couple of the creeps looked ok but it ruins it when the extreme baddie is just a coherent rock star lookalike ..
I like my zombies to be mindless eating machines :) - more fun that way :)

horrorgirl7734 11-03-2004 12:06 PM

YAY!!! I am so glad that I found other people that watch these "shitty" movies too. I absolutely love this movie. It is great for what the budget was on it. I think that the acting was good as well for a movie like this. It has great humor in it.

I,ZOMBIE 11-03-2004 06:50 PM

i neglected to mention...

Quote:

Originally posted by urgeok
re the dead hate the living ...
I didnt like it .. a couple of the creeps looked ok but it ruins it when the extreme baddie is just a coherent rock star lookalike ..
I like my zombies to be mindless eating machines :) - more fun that way :)

i like my zombies mindless brain eaters and the dead hate the living is just about my least favorite zombie movie, but its so corny you have to drink a case of beer to really enjoy it. i've been sober for 3 months and i can't watch it... ever again, it jusst succks too much. there are some bonus music videos on the dvd that don't entirely suck as much as the movie. yeah the baddie was a rob zombie ripoff if you ask me.

filmmaker2 11-04-2004 07:05 AM

Hey wow! I actually started a thread that people LIKE!

I applaud ALL OF YOU responders for having the great taste in scary movies that you have. You may not like "CSPWDT," but if you've even SEEN it, I think there's hope for you. For those horror.com people that haven't seen it and are feeling a little lost, I think it's a step in the right direction.

Many have called "CSPWDT" a bad film, and maybe it is, technically. It doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense. But if a movie is entertaining and a person likes watching it, then how "bad" is it, really?

I saw this in 1975, I believe, at 11:30 at night. I was a pretty small kid at that time, and it scared the bejeepers out of me.

For serious fans of Alan Ormsby, here's a picture of the cover of his book (from 1975), "Movie Monsters." Enjoy!

MOO-HAH HAH!

urgeok 11-04-2004 07:16 AM

it looks like one of those old Scholastic books

allmykids 11-04-2004 01:41 PM

I've really got to rent this!!

FilthyCannibal 11-04-2004 07:36 PM

Be careful, it could be painful

urgeok 11-05-2004 05:45 AM

naw .. just dont expect much .. its kind of fun ..

filmmaker2 11-05-2004 09:24 AM

You know...

You know Urge, that's probably the best recommendation to make for a movie like this. "Don't expect too much, and you'll probably have a little fun."

Kinda like someone said of Stephen Sommers' Mummy movie: "Leave your brain at the door, and you'll have a good time." (Better advice I never got!)

CSPWDT, to be totally honest, has long stretches of nothing but people speaking weird insulting dialogue to each other. But it has a good number of moments of uncanny horror, and it builds up to a seriously freaky ending. Like anything that was made DECADES ago, too, it has to be judged within the context of its time, to some extent.

urgeok 11-05-2004 10:11 AM

Re: You know...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by filmmaker2
[B]You know Urge, that's probably the best recommendation to make for a movie like this. "Don't expect too much, and you'll probably have a little fun."

Kinda like someone said of Stephen Sommers' Mummy movie: "Leave your brain at the door, and you'll have a good time." (Better advice I never got!)

I can put that to a film like 'Children....' because as you say .. the place..the budget.. and the time..
But on all thats holy - i couldnt put my brain on hold long enough to enjoy a recent sommers film and still expect to live a full life !
I think casting and writing are his weaknesses .. he shoots his wad on the FX and thinks everything else will fall in place if he follows the formula ...

that being said I enjoyed Deep Rising .. but nothing since ..

filmmaker2 11-06-2004 03:22 PM

Deep Rising

Yeah! I liked "Deep Rising" too, because the stupid level was juuuust right, and it had some interesting effects, too. It had that one melted guy showstopping effect I thought was excellent...I think it's unsurpassed for the kind of effect it is.

urgeok 11-06-2004 03:51 PM

i felt the same way .. great effect ..
And Treat always delivers.

The only downer was the whiney comic relief goof that Sommers used again in The Mummy. Goddamn i hated that guy in both movies. And you could say Sommers set a precident in all his films with a character more or less the same.

The guys girlfriend was awsome though .. they should have let her be the one to survive..

Maybe the kicker here is to limit Sommers budget .. it seems to force him to be more creative ..

filmmaker2 11-08-2004 06:37 PM

Yes, in fact, it seems an unspoken rule that when you give someone lots of money, suddenly they get LAAAAAAAZY as all get-out.

urgeok 11-09-2004 06:42 AM

well sommers is the ultimate culprit there ..
he's all about the bucks and doesnt care to develop the characters at all ..
he's really aimed at the kids ...

I guess you could say Lucas is the same .. he couldnt give a shit about the characetrs .. just the toys.

At least Cameron and Speiberg do care about the characters in their films ..
God .. why is it so hard to see why that would be a good idea ??

Vodstok 11-19-2004 07:30 AM

Because their movies take to long to make, and creating depth of character is hard work. or at least work. You cant just hand some specs and storyboards to the cg artists and have them go to work.

filmmaker2 11-20-2004 02:51 PM

And I have no doubt that Sommers is a decent fellow if you meet him socially. He's probably fun to hang out with, have a couple of brews with. And "Deep Rising" didn't rub me the wrong way.

I even, admittedly, enjoyed "The Mummy 2" quite a bit, although admittedly, I admit this to very few people. I wasn't annoyed that there's a kid character in this action horror film, because what they did with the kid character was truly funny. (He's grabbed by evil thugs and says, "Hey! Watch the suit!" He's on a train being taken to god knows where by the evil thugs and says, "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?")

bloodrayne 04-03-2005 06:37 PM

This movie sucked...Probably because I DID expect at least a LITTLE more.....The title held so much promise...

Awesome title...Shitty movie...

urgeok 04-04-2005 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by bloodrayne
This movie sucked...Probably because I DID expect at least a LITTLE more.....The title held so much promise...

Awesome title...Shitty movie...

your bum could use a smack !!
or a bite .. your choice :p

the movie is goofy fun .. nothing more.

bloodrayne 04-04-2005 10:18 AM

Quote:

your bum could use a smack !!
or a bite .. your choice :p

the movie is goofy fun .. nothing more.

Goofy?...Yes
Fun?...No
And.....Bite

lol

:D

filmmaker2 04-10-2005 06:37 AM

Bloodrayne, yu disappoint me! I thought you had real taste in film. I don't know how I ever will get over this. My heart is broken. This is a home-made horror film! It deserves to be cared for and cherished, not ground into the soil with spiked heels and flogged.

bloodrayne 04-13-2005 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2
Bloodrayne, yu disappoint me! I thought you had real taste in film. I don't know how I ever will get over this. My heart is broken. This is a home-made horror film! It deserves to be cared for and cherished, not ground into the soil with spiked heels and flogged.
LOL...I was just expecting something else...Honestly...It's actually a lot better than SOME movies *cough* LEPRECHAUN *cough*.....But still, they could have done better...

HappyCamper 04-19-2005 01:40 PM

i'm gonna go home and watch it!

HappyCamper 04-20-2005 03:51 PM

Quote:

Filmmaker ... that is funny !
Who would have thought there was 500 fans ? :)

I forgot that was Bob Clark !!

Most people wouldnt know but he did Porkys, Black Christmas, and A Christmas Story.

Bob has a Canadian connection .. Black Christmas was filmed here as was part of Porky's ...
I thought Children ...etc was filmed in Canada as well .. or on one of the 1000 islands on St. Laurence river ... not sure though ..

I am indeed a laserdisc junkie ... have a decent collection .. about 1300 of them. (my favorite is the Phantasm boxset signed by the director and scrim ..
Also the Hellraiser boxset with the signed barker script ...

Thats the coolest thing about lasers .. the dont do fun stuff like that with DVD ..

Actually I believe part of "Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things" was filmed in Miami, Florida. I have this film on DVD. I bought a copy of it at FYE here in Orlando. It came with another film, which I have yet to watch, called ....thinking....thinking....FUCK! i can't remember tht title right now but it was 'The ____ and his Pals' you fill in the blank. anyway back to my point:

During the credits, there's a moment with a black screen and an acknowledgement thanking the Miami Commission of Parks or something like that.

jay o2 waster 05-06-2005 10:59 AM

watch this movie high, it is 20 times better that way

urgeok 05-09-2005 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jay o2 waster
watch this movie high, it is 20 times better that way
i'm pretty sure thats exactly how it was made ...