Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Books & Fiction Writing (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Duma Key (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33123)

Haunted 02-29-2008 03:06 PM

Duma Key

Just read this. It's King's latest, and I don't know. I really liked it because of the themes that he used. However, it lacks that subtle horror that builds into the breakthrough that you get at the end. Some parts left me going eh...hmmm. You know?

I think Stephen King is a master at his craft. His works are evocative. It's just a matter finding his groove.

Zero 03-02-2008 02:51 PM

Hi haunted - glad to see you back around.

I have been tempted by this book since i liked lisey's story.

z

Haunted 03-02-2008 07:22 PM

I haven't read Lisey's Story yet. I want to, but if you'll remember I too am writing a book. So my time is taken up with shit n' stuff n' things. Is it good? Duma really very slowly leads you into horror. I'm assuming LIssey's does the same thing, yes?

Thanks for the warm welcome, ma petite singe. Je t'adore!

colubrid660 03-03-2008 07:47 AM

Kings pretty good, although he has put out some serious crap (Insomnia, the Eyes of the Dragon) I haven't read his new stuff, but I want to give "Cell" a try.

I still have no idea what "Duma Key" is about.

Despare 03-03-2008 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colubrid660 (Post 670104)
Kings pretty good, although he has put out some serious crap (Insomnia, the Eyes of the Dragon) I haven't read his new stuff, but I want to give "Cell" a try.

I still have no idea what "Duma Key" is about.

That's funny because I'm looking at Eyes of the Dragon right now, it was lent to me by a HUGE King fan who says it's in her top three of his books. I'm going to give Duma Key a go soon, it looked like an interesting premise.

jenna26 03-03-2008 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Despare (Post 670108)
That's funny because I'm looking at Eyes of the Dragon right now, it was lent to me by a HUGE King fan who says it's in her top three of his books. I'm going to give Duma Key a go soon, it looked like an interesting premise.

I actually like Eyes of the Dragon AND Insomnia....but neither is a favorite of mine. I think they are both quite a bit better than what I consider to be King's worst (Christine, Dreamcatcher, From A Buick 8).

I haven't read Duma Key yet, but I actually loved Lisey's Story, somewhat to my surprise.

colubrid660 03-03-2008 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Despare (Post 670108)
That's funny because I'm looking at Eyes of the Dragon right now, it was lent to me by a HUGE King fan who says it's in her top three of his books.

yeah a lot of people like it. Its okay as far as most fantasy fiction goes, but then again I am not a fantasy fan. So before I get a deluge of responses of people telling how great it really is, I thought it was a lame little feel-good fable that somehow ties into the Dark Tower series. Thats it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenna26 (Post 670138)
what I consider to be King's worst (Christine, Dreamcatcher, From A Buick 8).

Yeah those are pretty bad as well. Dreamcatcher is alright I guess, the movie was awful, but like half of the book is pretty good, the other half was boring. The same goes for Insomnia. I don't remember trying very hard to put it down.

Despare 03-03-2008 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colubrid660 (Post 670201)
yeah a lot of people like it. Its okay as far as most fantasy fiction goes, but then again I am not a fantasy fan. So before I get a deluge of responses of people telling how great it really is, I thought it was a lame little feel-good fable that somehow ties into the Dark Tower series. Thats it.

That effectively puts it even further back on my reading list...

The best King I've read in years is his short story "Stationary Bike". I absolutely loved that one and I hope Duma Key can bring me the same sort of satisfaction.

Haunted 03-03-2008 04:13 PM

If you kats want Stephen King, but "not your mother's Stephen King" try the Dark Tower series. It will blow your mind. It's kind of cool if you've read Salem's Lot and the Stand first, but not an absolute must. The series stands by itself perfectly.

colubrid660 03-03-2008 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haunted (Post 670217)
If you kats want Stephen King, but "not your mother's Stephen King" try the Dark Tower series. It will blow your mind.

Yeah they are pretty good. I only got through wizard and glass, never got to finish the series. Its definitely worth giving a shot if you are in the mood for something different.

Quote:

It's kind of cool if you've read Salem's Lot and the Stand first, but not an absolute must. The series stands by itself perfectly.
Almost all his novels tie into the Dark Tower series in some way as well. That universe is sort of the lynchpin for most of King's works, most notably The Stand and Insomnia. Another king favorite of mine are the Bachman books and Desperation/The Regulators.