Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   the cabinet of dr caligari (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65467)

horcrux2007 01-09-2015 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _____V_____ (Post 985663)
I don't expect a contemporary film watcher, who is addicted to their bam-dham-clang-eek!

Yes, it is somewhat of an acquired taste to appreciate films such as Caligari, Phantom of the Opera, Vampyr, etc. Not many in the present generation would love them for what they are.

I liked Phantom of the Opera ::smile::

I think I remember watching Nosferatu (original) and Frankenstein and liking those a lot.

_____V_____ 01-09-2015 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horcrux2007 (Post 985675)
I liked Phantom of the Opera ::smile::

I think I remember watching Nosferatu (original) and Frankenstein and liking those a lot.

You, young sir, are an exception. A multi-colored drop in a single-colored ocean.

horcrux2007 01-09-2015 07:04 AM

Go team ::stick out tongue::

vampyd1977 01-09-2015 01:25 PM

i appreciate movies from many different era`s, slow, fast, deep, shallow, every movie is taken on merit and any opinions shared here are purely that, an opinion.

Sculpt 01-10-2015 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vampyd1977 (Post 984178)
i know a lot of people put it in top ten lists of vintage horror movies but apart from a very good score i found little to enjoy, i know its a film that made so many others possible but i simply didnt enjoy it, i found it slow, dull and monotonous.

I know what you mean. The first time I watched Cabinet, it wasn't what I was expecting. I really dug the bizarre German Impressionistic sets & lighting, like the bizarre angled doorways (like Straker mentioned, you see that doorway in Beetlejuice' wedding scene). But taking the story & acting purely from a 1980 (or whatever it was) perspective, I wasn't impressed either.

When I watched it again as an art piece, and a pseudo play, I got a different appreciation of it. It's like the first time I heard George Harrison's song 'Only a Northern Song': it's out of tune, so I thought, so to speak, until I heard him sing,
"You may think the chords are going wrong
But they're not
He just wrote it like that"

Horror1979 01-26-2015 01:49 AM

One of my favorite Silent Horror Films along with Nosferatu and London By Midnight.

hammerfan 01-26-2015 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horror1979 (Post 986741)
One of my favorite Silent Horror Films along with Nosferatu and London By Midnight.

Have you seen "The Golem"? Another great silent movie.

FryeDwight 01-28-2015 12:41 AM

Love the old silent classics and you just have to remember film was still sort of new. Also, no sound, so they tended to, as we say now, overact to get the point across,
Really enjoyed CALIGARI, NOSFERATU, the Lon Chaney films, THE LOST WORLD as well as BIRTH OF A NATION and BROKEN BLOSSOMS.
Only thing I can suggest is be rested to watch them...if sleepy, it's harder to follow them

Sculpt 01-30-2015 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FryeDwight (Post 986822)
Love the old silent classics and you just have to remember film was still sort of new. Also, no sound, so they tended to, as we say now, overact to get the point across,
Really enjoyed CALIGARI, NOSFERATU, the Lon Chaney films, THE LOST WORLD as well as BIRTH OF A NATION and BROKEN BLOSSOMS.
Only thing I can suggest is be rested to watch them...if sleepy, it's harder to follow them

LOL! That is so true. There's some films you can't be somewhat sleepy before you watch them. Most silent films are like that, not mention some talkies like Dracula 31 & Gojira.

Speaking of silent films, Noseratu and Metropolis blew me away. I've seen maybe 15 full-length silent films, those are the only two I can say that about.

Monkey Astronaut 01-30-2015 07:32 PM

Did you see the Portlandia skit about The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xra...ari_shortfilms