Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Books & Fiction Writing (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Best Stephen King book (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26581)

The Mothman 12-11-2006 07:07 AM

Best Stephen King book

im doing an assignement for school on an author of my choice. i chose stephen king, and i need to know what his best book is. thnx.:)

The Flayed One 12-11-2006 07:27 AM

In my opinion, his best book isn't horror. Check out Eyes of the Dragon, a fantasy novel he wrote in the late 80's. It does contain his favorite antagonist, Randall Flagg. I also really enjoyed what I've read of the Dark Tower series, but I haven't completed it.

If you insist on a horror novel, I recommend Needful Things. It's a little faster paced than most of his novels. I might not be the best person in the world to ask though, because I really don't care that much for Kings writing style. Pet Semetary is also good, but it's so slow it takes an iron constitution to make it to the payoff.

BASSI 12-11-2006 07:44 AM

I would say Green mile that one his best and also Misery and Pet Semetary

knife_fight 12-11-2006 08:02 AM

Danse Macabre is my favorite, but it's not horror, or even fiction. it's King's ideas and thoughts on the horror genre (books, radio, and film mostly) from the 50's to the end of the 70's.

urgeok 12-11-2006 08:05 AM

no offense to the fans .. but i think Salems Lot is the only one worth reading.

noctuary 12-11-2006 08:24 AM

Shit, here comes another twenty page thread.

In my opinion, King has always done his best work in short form. Night Shift is probably the best collection, although Everything's Eventual contains what I consider to be his best story ("1408".) If you must do a novel, Pet Sematary is probably the standout.

knife_fight 12-11-2006 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urgeok (Post 520646)
no offense to the fans .. but i think Salems Lot is the only one worth reading.

I'm not a fan either, but Danse Macabre was the first thing I ever read that discussed horror movies seriously, so it really made an impression.

Quote:

Originally Posted by noctuary
In my opinion, King has always done his best work in short form. Night Shift is probably the best collection [...] If you must do a novel, Pet Sematary is probably the standout.

I second that.

Roderick Usher 12-11-2006 08:54 AM

I agree with noctuary, his best work is in short stories...

but his best book?
On Writing: a Memoir of the Craft

The Mothman 12-11-2006 10:20 AM

i think im getting his new one "Cell" because after i read this review:

Witness Stephen King's triumphant, blood-spattered return to the genre that made him famous. Cell, the king of horror's homage to zombie films (the book is dedicated in part to George A. Romero) is his goriest, most horrific novel in years, not to mention the most intensely paced. Casting aside his love of elaborate character and town histories and penchant for delayed gratification, King yanks readers off their feet within the first few pages; dragging them into the fray and offering no chance catch their breath until the very last page.

Awesome.

the_real_linda 12-11-2006 10:42 AM

yeah cell was really good.....said a whole lot bout our society.....tho i love it......just cause i read it when i was younger......and then watched the long ass film.......my grandad even read some of it to me as a kid so tis special.....plus now im scared of clowns because of it.......i like skeleton crew and diffrent seasons too cause its got the body in

Doc Faustus 12-13-2006 08:50 AM

Cell was good. I think It and the Stand are really amazing, however. I like how raw and archetypal they are and how well he captures so many diverse voices.

the_real_linda 12-13-2006 12:27 PM

the stand chills me.......really great book

HungryJoe 12-13-2006 01:51 PM

None of them, he is a hack and should be...just kidding. I like reading his stuff.

I have to agree with a lot of the books I have already seen on here but the best in my opinion has to be "On Writing". Sure his fiction is good but this is great, it really shows what it is like being a writer and give really good tips on how to be a writer yourself.

The_Return 12-13-2006 04:45 PM

I havent read a whole lot of his work, but from what Ive read, The Green Mile is far-and-away his best novel.

The Shining is a good runner-up...didnt really care for Pet Sematary though.

evilreign 12-21-2006 05:57 PM

Salem's Lot is his best hands down. The stand is a obese drawn out piece of shit, if it was 500 pages shorter it might be good. And yes I do read monster books like that, and love every minute of them. Those books however have something interesting going on awt al times. The stand is just long for the sake of being long.

darkmoon 12-23-2006 06:51 PM

Stephen King

hmm..My favorites are The Green Mile,IT ,Carrie,and Pet cemetery.

virose_pt 01-02-2007 02:48 AM

Just read Carrie. Not bad, but it isnīt horror. Salemīs Lot, The Stand and The Shinning are in my Must Read List.

ThrillerWriter666 01-16-2007 09:37 PM

Salem's Lot is my favorite, also. Very scary book.

BlackSunProductions 01-17-2007 12:31 AM

My favs are Eyes of the Dragon, The Gunslinger, and (though I'm only half-way through it) Cell.

Demonique 01-24-2007 11:12 AM

I enjoy a lot of King's work. Cell was great - I loved the atmosphere throughout the book. I really liked From a Buick 8 because of the shifting POV. His short stories are great too. The Long Walk would also have to be another favourite.

Roderick Usher 01-24-2007 02:41 PM

Danse Macabre was another non-fiction bok by King that I adore. It was an early musing on the horror genre and the writing is indicative of King at his most cocaine-fueled. Fun, fast, informative and often wildly off-the-mark. It's a great read for anyone interested in the history of or analysis of the horror genre.

Master 01-24-2007 02:51 PM

I've read pretty much all of King's books and the only ones that I would not recommend would be "Gerald's Game", "The Tommyknockers", "Dreamcatcher", and "Needful Things".

One that I haven't read is "Roadwork". Has anyone read this? Is it any good?

Master 01-25-2007 02:15 PM

Has anyone read "Roadwork"?

alkytrio666 01-25-2007 02:54 PM

Yes, it's pretty good. I would not call it horror, and I'm certain it wasn't meant to be, but it's a solid story of a man's struggle to defend what he believes in, even if it drives him to insanity. Literally.

I like King's work, I find it simplistic and overworded, but very enjoyable. I can see why others wouldn't be too fond of him.

I like Dreamcatcher, Salems' Lot, The Shining, Cujo, Thinner...Thinner and Cujo had unjustifiable movies made out of them, so before you laugh, give the books a try.

Despare 01-25-2007 03:09 PM

Most have been mentioned, but you should all check out Stationary Bike, it's almost like somebody else wrote it. I'm not saying Steven King isn't good but it's so different from his usual stuff, especially for being so recent. I also liked Regulators and Running Man a lot which I didn't see mentioned but maybe missed.

Master 01-25-2007 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alkytrio666 (Post 540210)
Yes, it's pretty good. I would not call it horror, and I'm certain it wasn't meant to be, but it's a solid story of a man's struggle to defend what he believes in, even if it drives him to insanity. Literally.

I like King's work, I find it simplistic and overworded, but very enjoyable. I can see why others wouldn't be too fond of him.

I like Dreamcatcher, Salems' Lot, The Shining, Cujo, Thinner...Thinner and Cujo had unjustifiable movies made out of them, so before you laugh, give the books a try.

I really wasn't a fan of Dreamcatcher and Thinner is one of the few that I haven't read. Maybe I'll give Roadwork a run as my next read. Have you read Misery or The Long Walk? I loved both of them.

XĪMurderDollĪX 01-26-2007 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master (Post 539235)
I've read pretty much all of King's books and the only ones that I would not recommend would be "Gerald's Game", "The Tommyknockers", "Dreamcatcher", and "Needful Things".

"Gerald's Game" is one of the select books I've finished. Actually, maybe the only one. I think there is more horror found in this one than his other stories.

alkytrio666 01-28-2007 06:35 PM

Yeah, most didn't like Dreamcatcher. I was totally engrossed by the descriptive accounts of the characters involved, individually, as each discovers the horrors that are happening around them. I found the layout marvelously chilling.

Thinner is just a lot of fun. Good, weird gypsy story, and a fast read.

Didn't care too much for Gerald's Game, I'm with Master on this one. The idea was strong, and terrifying, but it ended up just sagging in all of its ideas, and the main character's reflections were only uninteresting perversions to me.

Master, give Roadwork a try. It's quite enjoyable.

Master 01-28-2007 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alkytrio666 (Post 542150)
Yeah, most didn't like Dreamcatcher. I was totally engrossed by the descriptive accounts of the characters involved, individually, as each discovers the horrors that are happening around them. I found the layout marvelously chilling.

Thinner is just a lot of fun. Good, weird gypsy story, and a fast read.

Didn't care too much for Gerald's Game, I'm with Master on this one. The idea was strong, and terrifying, but it ended up just sagging in all of its ideas, and the main character's reflections were only uninteresting perversions to me.

Master, give Roadwork a try. It's quite enjoyable.

Gerald's Game had tons of potential and it probably could have been great if 150 or so pages had been cut.

Demonique 01-31-2007 10:53 AM

After reading this thread and realizing that I had never read The Stand, I went and got it. I zipped through it in three nights (lost a bit of sleep) and found it fantastic. I did like the first half the best but it was a good read. The Long Walk is a great story as well but it is depressing. I have to be in the right mood to read it. I have found that most of his Bachman books are very depressing but novel because they don't follow the hollywood happy ending pattern. (side note: I have an early copy of Thinner with the fake author photo in the back)

Master 01-31-2007 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonique (Post 543550)
After reading this thread and realizing that I had never read The Stand, I went and got it. I zipped through it in three nights (lost a bit of sleep) and found it fantastic. I did like the first half the best but it was a good read. The Long Walk is a great story as well but it is depressing. I have to be in the right mood to read it. I have found that most of his Bachman books are very depressing but novel because they don't follow the hollywood happy ending pattern. (side note: I have an early copy of Thinner with the fake author photo in the back)

I liked The Stand a lot. However, I much preferred Swan Song by: Robert McCammon. It was very similar to the Stand in many ways, but I found it to be a better overall book. Have you read it?

alkytrio666 01-31-2007 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonique (Post 543550)

The Stand 3 nights?! You're a readin' machine!

Master 01-31-2007 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alkytrio666 (Post 543658)
The Stand 3 nights?! You're a readin' machine!

I thought the same thing. I've read quite a few books in a day or two, but the Stand took me a bit longer.

Demonique 02-02-2007 11:57 AM

Yes I read very quickly. It can be a blessing and a curse. The story flows fast but I run out of books all the time. I like King books because they are often huge and I can stretch it out to more than 6 hours. The Stand took me about 17 hours. I am good at english but suck at math - that's why I teach english. Anyway- yes I have read Swan Song and thought it was fantastic. I need to buy a copy as I borrowed the one I read. I am working my way through The Talisman right now. I think it is ok but nowhere near as good as Swan Song or The Stand.

Master 02-02-2007 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonique (Post 544926)
Yes I read very quickly. It can be a blessing and a curse. The story flows fast but I run out of books all the time. I like King books because they are often huge and I can stretch it out to more than 6 hours. The Stand took me about 17 hours. I am good at english but suck at math - that's why I teach english. Anyway- yes I have read Swan Song and thought it was fantastic. I need to buy a copy as I borrowed the one I read. I am working my way through The Talisman right now. I think it is ok but nowhere near as good as Swan Song or The Stand.

It's a bit off topic, but read "Doomsday Book" by Connie Willis.

Demonique 02-02-2007 02:57 PM

Thanks! I'll give it a try!

Despare 02-02-2007 04:05 PM

Did you try Staionary Bike yet? It's a novella so it's well worth the 20 minutes you would need to read it. :)

Demonique 02-03-2007 05:35 PM

LOL! Funny you are. No I have not read Stationary Bike - is it a short story? Is it in an anthology?

Demonique 02-03-2007 05:41 PM

Whoops Duh! You just said it was a novella. What collection is it in?

Despare 02-03-2007 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonique (Post 545677)
Whoops Duh! You just said it was a novella. What collection is it in?

It's in From the Borderlands: Stories of Terror and Madness.
Some amazing stories in this one and a couple forgettable tales as well.