Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Games (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Most Fun Video Games You've Played? (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68782)

Sculpt 01-12-2019 10:56 AM

Most Fun Video Games You've Played?

Most Fun Video Games You've Played?

I think there's a difference between 'very addictive' and 'fun'. There's some games I played incessantly, but not having traditional fun. But what's fun to you? Challenge, story, emotion, thinking, playing with others, laughter, explosions?

Sculpt 01-12-2019 10:56 AM

Duke Nukem 3D: (First Person Shooter, PC) Well balanced. Had a good mix of simple natural movement/mechanics, simple but varied weapons, enemies and puzzles. It was fun to quick plan on using a laser trip mine, a pipe bomb or a bazooka... and if you blew yourself up, you could laugh because the reload/re-spawn was quick and never far back.

I played it with a buddy of mine, we'd switch off after one of us died, or started a new level. Great way to play!

Main character was funny, and had a compelling story. Levels were just the right length, boss battles were compelling but not too difficult. Each level or so added new enemies with different abilities -- like stun you, shrink you, freeze you, etc. To boot, there were hundreds of quick d/l of fan created levels that were good, beautiful and interesting.

ImmortalSlasher 01-15-2019 09:27 PM

I don't know if I've played many funny video games. I heard that the old Conker's Bad Day is funny. But I never played it. I didn't want to play a crude animal. Those old PC Leisure Suit Larry games were supposed to be funny. I remember struggling to play them because they had questions that kids had difficulty answering. Thus, the game wouldn't start.

cheebacheeba 01-16-2019 03:54 AM

I'm not reading any replies so I don't flavour my answers any.

I don't necessarily think that all "good" games are fun.

I'm just going to go with games that I've played that haven't stressed me in a negative way? They're probably none too serious, but lets see what I come up with. I think I'll draw a line between fun and funNY too.
I want to try and get a good list going on.

#1 stands on it's own - BISHI BASHI SPECIAL

Also thought I'd mention the Uncharted stuff...for as much as they CAN stress me ...quality title that playing, and watching the characters interactions and stories unfold, is such a pleasure it's just "fun" no matter what to me. Stress fun?

Crash Team Racing - Well...yeah...best cart game ever.

Bulletstorm
Donkey Kong - The "long" version on gameboy.
Bomberman World (arcade)
Incredible Crisis.
LocoRoco - One of the few examples of innovation/gimmickry gone right.
The Punisher (arcade)
Metal Slug series.
Vendetta.
EAGLES NEST
Runark/Growl
Star Wars - Rogue Squadron.
Streets of Rage series - 2 player.
Revenge of Shinobi
Earthworm Jim.
Alley Cat.
Bomb Jack
Ratchet and Clank (The first ps3 one)
Alex Kidd in Miracle World
Medieval.
Far Cry (1)
Cadillacs & Dinosaurs
Lode Runner.
Snow Brothers.
Irritating Stick/Maze.
Mario 64.
N Ninja
Commander Keen...or really any old apogee series.
Max Payne.
Bubble Bobble.
Lego Star Wars.
Ape Escape.
Die Hard/Dynamite Cop.
Warcraft 2
Rocky Legends - PVP of course.
Rolo the Elephant.
The Final Fight (just 1, never played the sequels)
Quack Shot.
Jet Li - Rise to Honour. Like playing a movie. Difficult, but fun.
Mario Kart 64.
Virtua Cop 2.
Rocket Knight Adventure (preferred over "sparkster")
Painkiller.
Zombies!/Ate My Neighbours.
Cannon Fodder.
Crypt Killers.
Gauntlet series, across the board really.
Marvel X-Men Legends and Ultimate Alliance series.
Unreal Tournament (first one, dreamcast era for me - pure arcadeykillfun)

Shit. There's too many...

But yeah, those are some of those that I've enjoyed over the years. Easy to pick up and play and generally a good time.

fudgetusk 01-16-2019 04:50 AM

I went from Gameboy to Xbox and the first game I played on Xbox was JET SET RADIO FUTURE.

A wonderful looking game indeed. I played it till dawn came up. Sent me a little mad.

I miss it. It was fun in a way that DOOM 3 was not. That was more of a challenge.

God, I gotta get another game system.

BudMan 01-16-2019 10:08 AM

Some of the things you can do in Far Cry 5 are pretty "funny"...also a fun game IMO. Same goes for Just Cause 3.

Sculpt 01-16-2019 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher (Post 1036250)
I don't know if I've played many funny video games. I heard that the old Conker's Bad Day is funny. But I never played it. I didn't want to play a crude animal. Those old PC Leisure Suit Larry games were supposed to be funny. I remember struggling to play them because they had questions that kids had difficulty answering. Thus, the game wouldn't start.

I meant Most Fun video game, not Funniest.

Sorry, I was having a little fun with the word fun. People often say funnest (the word in the title), but they don't write it. Websters dictionary now also lists fun as an adj that can be written 'correctly' as funnest, funner, etc. I'll ask Hammerfan to edit my title. Interesting experiment. = )

Leisure Suit Larry -- yes, I tried playing that game when I was a kid, and I couldn't answer those questions either. ::big grin:: Besides that game, I don't know of any funny games either. But I ask a pal of mine who probably knows of some. I did play this game where one of you weapons caused a great white to pop out of the ground and eat your enemies, that was hilarious!

Sculpt 01-16-2019 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheebacheeba (Post 1036258)
I'm not reading any replies so I don't flavour my answers any.

I don't necessarily think that all "good" games are fun.

I'm just going to go with games that I've played that haven't stressed me in a negative way? They're probably none too serious, but lets see what I come up with. I think I'll draw a line between fun and funNY too.
I want to try and get a good list going on.

#1 stands on it's own - BISHI BASHI SPECIAL

Also thought I'd mention the Uncharted stuff...for as much as they CAN stress me ...quality title that playing, and watching the characters interactions and stories unfold, is such a pleasure it's just "fun" no matter what to me. Stress fun?

Crash Team Racing - Well...yeah...best cart game ever.
Unreal Tournament (first one, dreamcast era for me - pure arcadeykillfun)

So true, games don't have to be fun to be good. Maybe more so enjoyable than fun? Lots of people love the story like in Mass Effect, or flat out love challenge like first person shooter team deathmatch in COD4 or Chess, or winning which different than challenge like those 'kids' who hack the hell out of a game and kill everybody and claim victory.

Unreal Tournament --
was a great multiplayer pure arcade kill fest game. My friends and I played a ton of that, usually teaming against the bots which were good. Had to hate Tamerlane headshooting you in 1 sec flat (we'd have the bot difficulty very high). The flack gun was my baby, I could drop those rock-nades anywhere, but loved to switch weapons cause they were so varied. Had to love the disc-gun that could ricochet those discs around corners!

Un-Wheel Tournament --
Speaking of racing games, Unreal Tournament had a mod called Unwheel that was a really fun racing game. Ever try that?

Sculpt 01-16-2019 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fudgetusk (Post 1036260)
I went from Gameboy to Xbox and the first game I played on Xbox was JET SET RADIO FUTURE.

A wonderful looking game indeed. I played it till dawn came up. Sent me a little mad.

I miss it. It was fun in a way that DOOM 3 was not. That was more of a challenge.

God, I gotta get another game system.

Jet Set sounds like fun. I was never into the ski and skateboard games myself.

I would have played Doom, but I was hooked on Dukenukem. Played some of the Hexen and Doom demos. Eventually would move on to Half-life, Counter Strike, Unreal Tournament(s), Call of Duty(s), the new Wolfenstein, etc.

Did you ever play XBOX's original Godzilla fighting game? That was one I was interested in.

Sculpt 01-16-2019 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BudMan (Post 1036263)
Some of the things you can do in Far Cry 5 are pretty "funny"...also a fun game IMO. Same goes for Just Cause 3.

I played a little of the Far Cry original demo way back when, was adding more freedom and openworld to the genre.

Looking at the Just Cause 3 trailer, looks like some really excellent action combat and creativity -- got to love the grappling hook! ::big grin::

cheebacheeba 01-16-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Un-Wheel Tournament --
Speaking of racing games, Unreal Tournament had a mod called Unwheel that was a really fun racing game. Ever try that?
Nope. Never even heard of it. What version of the game was it on?

Quote:

I played a little of the Far Cry original demo way back when, was adding more freedom and openworld to the genre.
The first one?
In my opinion, this was the best one for the simple reason that it blended military kind of shooters with more sci-fi elements. None of the rest of them have done that and while I've never played one through none have really appealed all that greatly.
Maybe the one called "Primal"?
I have 3 & 4 here, I'll probably put some time in at one stage.

Though yeah if you haven't played FC1, and you can get yourself a copy?
Very rewarding game.

I'd like to add: PORTAL and PREY (The first one, not the current borefest).
Really wish PREY got that sequel they intended...the trailer looked very fun.

Sculpt 01-16-2019 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheebacheeba (Post 1036282)
Nope. Never even heard of it. What version of the game was it on?

The first one?
In my opinion, this was the best one for the simple reason that it blended military kind of shooters with more sci-fi elements. None of the rest of them have done that and while I've never played one through none have really appealed all that greatly.
Maybe the one called "Primal"?
I have 3 & 4 here, I'll probably put some time in at one stage.

Though yeah if you haven't played FC1, and you can get yourself a copy?
Very rewarding game.

I'd like to add: PORTAL and PREY (The first one, not the current borefest).
Really wish PREY got that sequel they intended...the trailer looked very fun.

Unwheel was a mod for Unreal Tournament 2004. The physics/handling was different, and sensitive, for each car. Had to pick the right car for the right terrain. They had CTF and one where you pushed a big metal ball into a goal. That was blast.

I just played the demo of the first Far Cry. It was pretty nifty, but like you, it didn't grab my attention at the time.

Yeah, Portal was great! I had played the Half-Life games, so I was already a little familiar with the physics. But that game was a lot of fun! I think I played thru Portal 2 too, but I can't even remember. I was about done with the experience by the time I finished the first Portal, it was just the right length. It's still on my Steam.

Rather I was a big COD4 MP player on steam. Liked team deathmatch, keeping it somewhere between 2v2 to 4v4, anymore than 8 players starts getting too chaotic for my tastes.

ImmortalSlasher 01-16-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1036264)
I meant Most Fun video game, not Funniest.

Sorry, I was having a little fun with the word fun. People often say funnest (the word in the title), but they don't write it. Websters dictionary now also lists fun as an adj that can be written 'correctly' as funnest, funner, etc. I'll ask Hammerfan to edit my title. Interesting experiment. = )

Leisure Suit Larry -- yes, I tried playing that game when I was a kid, and I couldn't answer those questions either. ::big grin:: Besides that game, I don't know of any funny games either. But I ask a pal of mine who probably knows of some. I did play this game where one of you weapons caused a great white to pop out of the ground and eat your enemies, that was hilarious!

Yeah I guess I misread the title.

I think Resident Evil 4's mini games are fun. Usually my favorite games are fun. Daytona USA is fun. Especially the more advanced stages when playing against good players.

Sculpt 01-18-2019 08:25 AM

Jedi Knight -- Internet Gaming Zone

The most fun multiplayer game I ever played was probably Jedi Knight (Dark Forces 2, Star Wars) on the Internet Gaming Zone. Gaming-wise there was light saber fighting, lots of weapons and even Force powers. We had a group that would play together nightly and there was a ton of chatting as that was one of the first games that had a chat in-game.

Plus the Internet Gaming Zone help spawn large communities and tournaments. There were the chat rooms to talk and assemble a group that would then launch a game together. The Gaming Zone helped the creation of gaming clans, clan websites and clan forums. All of it was a lot of fun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher (Post 1036293)
Yeah I guess I misread the title.

I think Resident Evil 4's mini games are fun. Usually my favorite games are fun. Daytona USA is fun. Especially the more advanced stages when playing against good players.

what were the mini games? Little arcade games within the game?

fudgetusk 01-21-2019 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1036266)
Jet Set sounds like fun. I was never into the ski and skateboard games myself.

I would have played Doom, but I was hooked on Dukenukem. Played some of the Hexen and Doom demos. Eventually would move on to Half-life, Counter Strike, Unreal Tournament(s), Call of Duty(s), the new Wolfenstein, etc.

Did you ever play XBOX's original Godzilla fighting game? That was one I was interested in.

JET SET RADIO FUTURE wasn't really a sports game. I hate sports games.

Sculpt 01-21-2019 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fudgetusk (Post 1036343)
JET SET RADIO FUTURE wasn't really a sports game. I hate sports games.

Did you think I said it was a sports game? I suggested it was like ski and skateboard games.

But now that you mention sports games... I think sports games are football, baseball, etc. Then of course there's track & field and gymnastics are considered sports, not many of those are video games. And then other meanings for sports like fishing, hunting, martial arts... some would call those sport games. And all the types of racing are generally considered sports and sports games: auto, BMX, skiing... and then there's 'extreme sports' that aren't racing, they're skill performance like ski jumps, surfing, skateboard, etc, and probably rollerblades.

I look at Jet Set Radio Future and you're racing around on rollerblades, jumps, riding the rails, running into 'prizes', at points you race other dudes, some skill jumping... while spraying graffiti, knocking over police and dancing... but it's not really about graffiti or gangs -- the gang RPG aspect is very slight as you're always skating around with that skill aspect, though there's definitely some arcade aspects running into prizes. It's a fusion of game types for sure, but I don't know if I wouldn't put it in the big, big bag called sports games that includes the skateboarding games. I took a peak at wiki and for genre it lists: "Action, sports". What genre would you call Jet Set?

ImmortalSlasher 01-22-2019 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1036314)
what were the mini games? Little arcade games within the game?

Well they are usually called mini games. But you can also call them bonus modes, extra features, etc. I'm talking about The Mercenaries and Assignment Ada.

Amalthea_unicorn 01-24-2019 02:38 AM

Knight Tyme

fudgetusk 01-24-2019 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1036345)
Did you think I said it was a sports game? I suggested it was like ski and skateboard games.

But now that you mention sports games... I think sports games are football, baseball, etc. Then of course there's track & field and gymnastics are considered sports, not many of those are video games. And then other meanings for sports like fishing, hunting, martial arts... some would call those sport games. And all the types of racing are generally considered sports and sports games: auto, BMX, skiing... and then there's 'extreme sports' that aren't racing, they're skill performance like ski jumps, surfing, skateboard, etc, and probably rollerblades.

I look at Jet Set Radio Future and you're racing around on rollerblades, jumps, riding the rails, running into 'prizes', at points you race other dudes, some skill jumping... while spraying graffiti, knocking over police and dancing... but it's not really about graffiti or gangs -- the gang RPG aspect is very slight as you're always skating around with that skill aspect, though there's definitely some arcade aspects running into prizes. It's a fusion of game types for sure, but I don't know if I wouldn't put it in the big, big bag called sports games that includes the skateboarding games. I took a peak at wiki and for genre it lists: "Action, sports". What genre would you call Jet Set?

I would call skating , in any manner, a sport. Jet Set is more a fighting game for me than a sports game. It's just that you sprey people instead of shooting them.

Sculpt 01-24-2019 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fudgetusk (Post 1036384)
I would call skating , in any manner, a sport. Jet Set is more a fighting game for me than a sports game. It's just that you sprey people instead of shooting them.

Gotcha. Did you ever play Jedi Knight (Dark Forces II)?

fudgetusk 02-01-2019 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1036389)

Nope. I have played a few Star Wars games and they tend to be great. Can't name them now. This was years ago. Isn't it sad that my life is marked by what games I played.

Doom 3 anyone?

cheebacheeba 02-01-2019 02:23 PM

Here's one.
Medieval.

Quote:

SO much better than Dark forces, eh?
Loved it.
The story, the missions, the characters.
I feel like they killed it by changing it into a 3rd person game in Jedi Academy, though even that was some fun. Good series through and through.

Though brings to mind another one I loved
"Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire".

Sculpt 02-02-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheebacheeba (Post 1036518)
Here's one.
Medieval.

Loved it.
I feel like they killed it by changing it into a 3rd person game in Jedi Academy, though even that was some fun. Good series through and through.

Did you ever play Jedi Knight online at MSN's Internet Gaming Zone? It was huge, had up to a 1000 people. That was my introduction to gaming clans, real MP play and competitive ladders. The gameplay was 3rd person, great fun with weapons or light saber battles, or adding force powers to the mix.

I liked Dark Forces too, had good physics and story. But yeah, Jedi Knight with the forces powers, you picked light-side, dark-side or both. Good gameplay and story. It was easier to play 3rd person at times, when using saber and force powers, and shock rifle.

Mysteries of the Sith was a good SP followup to Jedi Knight, not sure if you played that.

Jedi Outcast was a good SP/MP, though I didn't like MP as much as Knight, physics were way more stiff.

Jedi Academy SP was quite fun, and the MP was good too. As far as online clans go, none of the post Knight games garnered the size that Knight did.

Angra 02-02-2019 11:50 PM

Quote:

Here's one.
Medieval.

Do you mean Medievil, with the skeleton dude?

cheebacheeba 02-03-2019 07:04 PM

Probably.

Sculpt 02-11-2019 10:46 AM

Quote:

Here's one.
Medieval.

Loved it.

You play Star Wars: Shadows Of The Empire on N64? I was just looking at some gameplay, looks like they have Render in 3rd person shooting, I guess there was no 1st person? That gameplay would suck. But the vehicle fighting was probably a nice mix to have at the time. I read it got mixed reviews. It was re-released 2016 for 64bit systems.

ImmortalSlasher 02-13-2019 12:49 AM

I remember renting and finishing Shadows of the Empire on N64. I guess it wasn't good enough to keep. The book was good though and I still have the soundtrack made for the book. In fact what I remember of the book is better than the prequels and two new movies.

Sculpt 02-13-2019 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher (Post 1036673)
I remember renting and finishing Shadows of the Empire on N64. I guess it wasn't good enough to keep. The book was good though and I still have the soundtrack made for the book. In fact what I remember of the book is better than the prequels and two new movies.

Speaking of Star Wars books, what'd you think were the best?

I most enjoyed the 1990's Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn, the first, 'Heir to the Empire' probably the best of the three. I liked his detail in military facets or otherwise power struggles. Made #1 on the New York Times Best Seller list.

I think it would make a good game or film series. Of course Mara Jade was from the Thrawn series, featured in the Mysteries of the Sith game.

I see Zahn published two Thrawn novels in 2017 and 18.

Morningriser 02-13-2019 12:41 PM

the most fun games I have ever played are Oregon Trail, pinball, Altered Beast, Castlevania 2, Zelda 3, Revolution X, WWF Monday Night Raw, Mortal Kombat 2, Killer Instinct, Metal Gear Solid 1 and 3, WCW vs the world, WWF Smackdown 2, MTV music generator 2, GTA San Andreas, GTA Vice City, Guitar Hero World Tour, GTA V, The Godfather, Tetris, Friday the 13th, the new one, and Street Fighter 2, just to name a few.

cheebacheeba 02-13-2019 03:25 PM

I'd like to throw in "Zombies ate my Neighbours" if I haven't already.

ImmortalSlasher 02-19-2019 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1036688)
Speaking of Star Wars books, what'd you think were the best?

I most enjoyed the 1990's Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn, the first, 'Heir to the Empire' probably the best of the three. I liked his detail in military facets or otherwise power struggles. Made #1 on the New York Times Best Seller list.

I think it would make a good game or film series. Of course Mara Jade was from the Thrawn series, featured in the Mysteries of the Sith game.

I see Zahn published two Thrawn novels in 2017 and 18.

I liked the books that came out before the prequels. I can't really remember which I would consider the best as I only read them once. Perhaps I read Shadows of the Empire a few times. But I still own them and will read them again because of how bad Star Wars is now.

I do like the ones with Mara though. Like many I was set on getting a statue of her from Sideshow Collectibles. They had Adam Hughes working on the design. But as usual they were hyping stuff and too slow and the project was cancelled. Here are some long topics about it.

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=119581

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=106491

I did get a Kotobukiya Mara figure which goes for a lot now.

http://www.rebelscum.com/Mara-Jade-B...Kotobukiya.asp

Sculpt 02-20-2019 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher (Post 1036906)
I liked the books that came out before the prequels. I can't really remember which I would consider the best as I only read them once. Perhaps I read Shadows of the Empire a few times. But I still own them and will read them again because of how bad Star Wars is now.

I do like the ones with Mara though. Like many I was set on getting a statue of her from Sideshow Collectibles. They had Adam Hughes working on the design. But as usual they were hyping stuff and too slow and the project was cancelled. Here are some long topics about it.

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=119581

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=106491

I did get a Kotobukiya Mara figure which goes for a lot now.

http://www.rebelscum.com/Mara-Jade-B...Kotobukiya.asp

What material is the Kotobukiya Mara made out of? Just looking at it, it's hard to tell.

Also looking at the top of the page they have this ad for signed posters. Do you happen to know of the long haired brunette in white top is, in the middle left of the ad? Looks a little familiar, but I can't tell

http://www.rebelscum.com/2018/opx-728x90.jpg

ImmortalSlasher 02-26-2019 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1036914)
What material is the Kotobukiya Mara made out of? Just looking at it, it's hard to tell.

Also looking at the top of the page they have this ad for signed posters. Do you happen to know of the long haired brunette in white top is, in the middle left of the ad? Looks a little familiar, but I can't tell

http://www.rebelscum.com/2018/opx-728x90.jpg

The Mara figure is PVC I believe. The majority of their small figures are like that.

I think that is Jennifer Love Hewitt.

BioLeng 08-30-2019 04:40 AM

I like gambling, but I don’t like spending money on it and generally risking money. Therefore, I only play https://mr.bet/game/view/demo/book-of-dead demo because I'm really a fan. What do you think about this?

CorruptedMemory 09-10-2019 08:50 AM

The most fun I ever had playing a game was probably GTA III when I was a teen around 2002. I remember spending weeks playing it and not even doing the missions but just goofing off. It blew my mind when it was released.

Angra 09-10-2019 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorruptedMemory (Post 1039524)
The most fun I ever had playing a game was probably GTA III when I was a teen around 2002. I remember spending weeks playing it and not even doing the missions but just goofing off. It blew my mind when it was released.

Mine as well. Still I think I had more fun with Vice. The soundtrack certainly helped.

cheebacheeba 09-13-2019 10:56 PM

It's too bad they don't do a re-release of GTA3/VC/SA.
Maybe like "GTA Classic: Redux" or some such.

Because as much as I'd like to?

Going back to GTA3 and Vice City is very difficult after the new style of control/aiming system came into play for SA.

I've tried VC again since playing SA, 4, and 5...as VC was always aesthetically and sountrack/storyline wise my personal favourite.
I was just run around like a retard looking/aiming everywhere.

The new system introduced in SA was innovative, it was needed, and it elevated the series significantly...but the problem is...that is very hard to un-learn and go back.
It's difficult not to see the older titles as less playable and gimped.

ImmortalSlasher 09-17-2019 10:24 PM

The two Vice City games were never really great games. Sure they have cool moments. But it was always more about the environment and soundtrack. All the battles and stuff are easily won with full health and armor. Or knowing the city for the chases.

I have a feeling they will eventually go back to Vice City. I just wonder when.