Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The Haunting (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15444)

alkytrio666 05-10-2005 05:23 PM

The Haunting

Anyone seen the original Haunting? I might check it out on TCM.

filmmaker2 05-10-2005 05:55 PM

One of the best freakin' horror movies I ever did see. A real classic!

urgeok 05-10-2005 06:14 PM

just watched my laserdisc of it a couple of weeks ago.
Wouldnt say it's one of my faves ... as i said after i saw it i found the characters a bit to simplistic (except for the dark haired gal)

I appreciate the way the fear was created by things implied .. and noises .. as opposed to FX ... but it really didnt grab me too much.

still glad i saw it though ..

phantomstranger 05-10-2005 06:39 PM

One of the greatest Ghost stories ever. Skip the remake and go right to the original.

jenna26 05-10-2005 09:21 PM

The remake is horrible. But the original is one of the best horror movies ever made, in my opinion. I like how faithful it stayed to the original story and I like that the scares were really subtle and creepy. It is a very psychological film, so much of it relies on what we don't see.

zwoti 05-10-2005 10:47 PM

the consensus is very good film

DraculaInDallas 05-10-2005 11:16 PM

I have this dvd.....I don't know if I'd say it's one of the best of all time but it's damn good that's for sure.

alkytrio666 05-11-2005 03:29 AM

Alright sweet, thanks guys. I'll check it out, then.

tom-tom 05-16-2005 12:53 AM

I have to admit that there is two few horror movies out there that has the ability to scare me, but at this The Haunting succeded. a real classic and a scary and unsettling movie. And you can't help but feel satisfied with the ending.
A movie that really does do justice to Shirley Jackson's novel.

suspiria 06-14-2005 12:11 PM

absolutely brilliant

this is without a doubt one of the greats in horror.
just the simple techniques,the way they toy with you.like letting there be a long suspended silence with the woman coming straight in front of the camera,and the woman runninng from behind the tree at the end,its just perfect.

MisterSadistro 07-07-2005 05:30 PM

This is one of my all time favs. Everything is implied, nothing is seen. The wife in the attic over the spiral staircase still makes me jump even though I've seen this many times. Gotta love a film that can sustain so much suspense for so long and still zing you. Without ever seeing the remake or ever intending to, I would guess it's all fx and won't hold a candle to this.
CK

jenna26 07-07-2005 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MisterSadistro
This is one of my all time favs. Everything is implied, nothing is seen. The wife in the attic over the spiral staircase still makes me jump even though I've seen this many times. Gotta love a film that can sustain so much suspense for so long and still zing you. Without ever seeing the remake or ever intending to, I would guess it's all fx and won't hold a candle to this.
CK

The remake is just silly and over the top, in my opinion. If you love the original story and don't want to waste your time, then it definitely is better to steer clear of that one.

MisterSadistro 07-08-2005 09:56 AM

Complete opposite of the original, huh ? Thanks for the info, Jenna.
CK