Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   We need more Monsters!! (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63120)

threadordead 07-01-2013 01:29 PM

We need more Monsters!!

I love horror movies, but I just wish we had more monsters . Bring back Cropsy, Driller Killer, Wishmaster and the likes of Jason! Real characters!! Or i'm getting old!

Kandarian Demon 07-01-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threadordead (Post 952064)
I love horror movies, but I just wish we had more monsters . Bring back Cropsy, Driller Killer, Wishmaster and the likes of Jason! Real characters!! Or i'm getting old!

I agree! Maybe the problem is that monsters were a product of another time. We rarely see new monsters anymore either. I would definitely love to see more monsters in modern horror too... preferably monsters that don't date teenage girls :p

newb 07-01-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threadordead (Post 952064)

No....if you were old [ like myself] you would have said "Frankenstein, The Wolfman, The Mummy or Dracula.......lets not forget The Creature [ from the Black Lagoon]

Anthropophagus 07-02-2013 10:27 AM

I love monsters but in the real sense,not evil men.Monsters like King-Kong,The Relic,Cloverfield,The Thing,The Blob, that kind of stuff.

CreedNoir 07-02-2013 07:03 PM

I hear people cite that humans are the scariest monsters of all since they are real. I tend to think that while that might be true, monsters in the more traditional sense can certainly be just as scary. One of my favorite movies that I like to cite as one of the most scariest is The Thing. Everytime I watch that movie, I always get a sense of dread.

Another thing I hear people fight on is practical vs. digital effects. Seems more people are interested in practical effects when it comes to creatures. This is ever more true around Horror fans. Personally I think a hybrid creation of practical and digital effects is a nice way to go.

dlevanchuk 07-08-2013 03:12 PM

One of the most underrated monster movies imho is "Feast" and "Feast II:Sloppy Seconds".

Such a shame that it was straight to DVD release :(

AlexSivier 08-05-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreedNoir (Post 952170)
Another thing I hear people fight on is practical vs. digital effects. Seems more people are interested in practical effects when it comes to creatures. This is ever more true around Horror fans. Personally I think a hybrid creation of practical and digital effects is a nice way to go.

I agree. I think a lot of people like the practical effects for nostalgic reasons.
For me, the problem is that now graphics are so realistic, filmakers can show the entire creature/monster/alien, which obliterates most of the scare factor. In the days of practical effects, the limitation meant that it had to remain mostly hidden, and that was the key to its success. Compare Alien to Alien Ressurection. Classic vs. pure sh*t.
As for the hybrid aproach, that's what they did for the prequel of The Thing, and I really liked it.

StoneGhost 08-16-2013 05:53 AM

There are a few examples creeping around....I particularly liked the 'crawlers' from The Descent. Although the sequel was, predictably, pants.

Gustav Weil 09-10-2013 07:16 AM

Though I disagree with the choices of monsters mentioned by the O.P, I completely agree with the sentiment.
The greatest monsters were true anti-heroes to me whereas the likes of Hannibal Lector are just repulsive (effective though)
I mention Hannibal Lector as it seems that the traditional movie monster died a death some time around the release of silence of the lambs.
Personally I believe that the well has run dry and the humble monster cannot captivate modern audiences like before.
I'm probably wrong though and I certainly hope I am.

Haifisch 09-10-2013 03:09 PM

Hypothermia is a pretty decent monster flick that just came out recently. The creature itself looks like a man in a rubber suit, but the characters are well written and the suspense is well crafted so it's a good movie overall.
As for human monsters, I quite enjoyed The Collector as well as the sequel, The Collection. Those were really fun movies.