Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Latest Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Teeth (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34192)

James Whale 05-30-2008 07:20 PM

Teeth

I loved this movie! Funny and unnerving. I suggest everyone run out and rent this modern classic. It's horror/satire of the highest degree.

Despare 05-30-2008 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Whale (Post 702662)
I loved this movie! Funny and unnerving. I suggest everyone run out and rent this modern classic. It's horror/satire of the highest degree.

I loved it too but it really seems to divide audiences. I can see where a lot of people wouldn't like it but for me it was a darkly funny, layered, intelligent "horror" film.

Roderick Usher 05-30-2008 08:27 PM

I found it to be disarmingly sweet and a great story more in line with a superhero origin story than a horror movie. I'm none too happy about a few sloppy plot points, but I found the whole to be charming and fun and gross and I recommend it highly.

hellfire1 05-31-2008 05:42 AM

Could have been so much more. Great premise, poorly explored and executed. Was a bit disappointed.

ChronoGrl 05-31-2008 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellfire1 (Post 702725)
Could have been so much more. Great premise, poorly explored and executed. Was a bit disappointed.

That's how I felt about it, too... I honestly thought that it would have made a brilliant short film as opposed to a full-length feature. I felt as though the movie was definitely uneven, going from dark comedy to strictly pulp at times and I thought that the balance was not done well.

As an allegory for not men's but women's fear of their own sexuality, I thought it was poignant, clever, and actually important (it honestly makes me sad that there is a social stigma tied to female sexuality and that far too many young girls are afraid of their own hormones). What disappointed me was that this allegory turned quickly into pulp revenge where I was more interested in the monster itself.

Also, I never thought that I'd find myself saying this, but, not all men are creeps, and I found it unbelievable that every man that she had a sexual encounter with in the movie was sketchy. It definitely counteracted the point of female sexual discovery to create a world of sexual predators around her. It's more poignant to have her make her own decisions; decide who's "good," "bad," to be trusted, etc. Part of growth is learning to discover what is a monster and what is safe, and what's the lesson learned if everything is a monster? I understand the hero allegory, but I didn't think that it worked in this context. It would have been more realistic that, as she came into her own sexuality, she found an Other who was trust worthy and who she could use her sexuality for good.

But the movie went the other way.

frozenheart 06-01-2008 09:21 AM

I thought it had potential, I always fall for the covers that state it's won awards for something or other. It was worth renting, but not if you have to pay almost 5 bucks, I have Blockbuster moviepass so I'm not too peeved at renting this.

CopperShark 06-01-2008 03:38 PM

I'm really looking forward to seeing this movie, even if its bad I want to see it just to say I did.

Despare 06-01-2008 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CopperShark (Post 702981)
I'm really looking forward to seeing this movie, even if its bad I want to see it just to say I did.

It has cult classic written all over it. I predict it doesn't sell much on DVD but in about 5 years people start remembering it in try to find it again. In about 8 years the DVDs will start selling for high dollars on an auction site (which may or may not be called EBay still). Then in 10 years, they will re-release it and youngsters will be excited about it posting like mad in the upcoming movie section (in _V_'s DVD thread).

The Mothman 06-03-2008 08:13 PM

Despare is the new ms. Cleo.

Greenthorn 06-05-2008 09:16 AM

I have yet to see it, but have heard many good reviews, mostly about it's originality...so I'll be personally hunting it down:D