View Single Post
Old 09-30-2016, 11:23 PM
Evil Dead

Stranger Things (Series 1)(2016)
I.M.D.B.
When a young boy disappears, his mother, a police chief, and his friends must confront terrifying forces in order to get him back.

After all the hype I finally got around to watching it in a week. Comparisons to Spielberg's classics abound - although I generally don't agree. Speilberg, among other things, excels in natural dialogue and friendship among children, whereas I felt Stranger Things failed at doing this, mainly by making Lucas an antagonist right up until the final episodes. The constant conflict between the friends wasn't balanced with jovial comradery. Splicing humour into Lucas' character to balance his aggression would have gone a long way.

On the whole though, I really enjoyed this series. David Harbour stood out, but it was Millie Bobby Brown as Eleven that really shined. The retro 80's synth music stole the show, with the simple but effective intro sequence giving me the feels each time I saw it. Having only 8 episodes was brilliant, resulting in tight pacing and succinct story without getting bogged down in needless filler. I just wished the three friends had been given a bit less conflict between themselves.
Highly Recommended
9/10