View Single Post
Old 10-06-2020, 09:08 AM
Guitarist Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
It's funny, you say, "My girlfriend hates Horror movies.", and then you write all the horror films you've had her watch.

Did she watch The Black Cat? What'd she think? It's a classic, even a bit artsy.

If she liked Fright Night and Frankenstein, she might like Arachnophobia, Son of Frankenstein (1939) funny and classic!, Ghostbusters, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1954), Evil Dead 2, Shawn of the Dead, Incredible Shrinking Man, Lost Boys, Young Frankenstein (must watch Son of Frankenstein first to get all the parody), and Suburbia.
Yeah, she watched The Black Cat. She liked it, she likes the old Black & White ones because they aren't usually really scary, although as mentioned Creature From The Black Lagoon scared the crap out of her and she literally couldn't sleep after we watched it.

I'll have to keep a few of those suggestions in mind. Forgot about Arachnophobia. Young Frankenstein would be good too. I think she has seen Shawn Of The Dead before we met and might have seen Ghostbusters. Evil Dead 2 would be too much for her though..

Anything with much gore or jump scenes she has a hard time with and literally has nightmares about. She was raised in a religious household as a kid and I have to keep my Exorcist Blu Ray in the basement where she can't see it. She won't watch anything with demons or possession. Poltergeist is completely out of the question, etc.

So yeah, I try to show her things that I think were either important to me growing up or films that I think are historically significant or aesthetically important to the genre. Films that are genuinely good and well made.

We watched The Raven (1935) last night.
Again she enjoyed Bela's over the top performance and seeing him and Karloff's roles reversed compared to The Black Cat.