View Single Post
Old 10-20-2023, 11:58 PM
Evil Dead

Cursed 2005 ★★★½

In 2005, the much missed Wes Craven gave us Cursed. A werewolf movie written by Kevin Williamson with a pretty well filled cast with either big names (Christina Ricci, Joshua Jackson) or people who would go on to do big projects (Jesse Eisenberg and that guy with the moustache from Parks and Rec).

And Chachi.
What's a chachi?
Fuck if I know.

Since it's written by the mind behind Scream, you know that you get a well written story. As a viewer, you understand Ellie's struggles – not in the least with the office bitch played by Judy Greer – and her brother is the type of annoying pipsqueak written to fit Jesse Eisenberg like a glove. On the other hand, the subplot with the bullying and the outing is a bit forced now.

Bo: I'm gay.
Jimmy: I'm not gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
(Jerry and George off screen: No, of course not!)

With Wes Craven, you get a director at the helm who knows how to work with actors. So he brings out the best in Ricci, Eisenberg and the others. Even Pacey looks good in a part somewhat different than what people know him for.

The only problem is the special effects. Especially the transformation scenes. Pretty sure Wes was not too happy with that either, since the CGI made it look atrocious. But that's probably where some studio exec steps in and explains how better CGI has not been invented yet and how practical effects are “too expensive”. And it looks good to him, so shut the fuck up.

Luckily, the fight scenes were better. Shame there were not more of those. Since in a movie universe with all these versusses, I kind of want to see this werewolf fight the one from The Howling. Talk about hell in a cell. Glen Jacobs would take one look at that and he'd be like: ah hell naw.

Overall a fun watch and a fun ride. For werewolf fans and a fun addition to your Craven collection.

Them 2006 ★★★½

For some reason, I remember this (partly) being a found footage. Turns out this was just filmed in the traditional style.

This is a good solid home invasion horror about a couple being terrorized by a gangof neighboring kids. For the fairly short runtime, it does manage in setting the characters well enough for the viewer to sympathize with the main characters.

Also good idea never to show the gang all too clearly. The few times you hear them talk... I don't know, prepubescent kids and voices just are not all that scary. Even though I am sure that kids that age are capable of this type of viciousness.

The final shot of Clem still holds very well.

For fans of films like Eden Lake.

P2 2007 ★★

Interesting way to create a confined space for the main characters. The resulting movie, however, keeps giving the impression that they could have done more with this idea.

Wes Bentley (aka Camera Guy frm American Beauty) is just no scary villain and the lead was not all that convincing.

Red Eye did a lot better with a similar premise.