View Single Post
Old 11-29-2023, 12:08 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis View Post
Savage Weekend 1979 ★★˝

Savage Weekend is a bit of a mean spirited slasher about a group of friends going out on a weekend and getting hacked up. Not very imaginative or engaging.

At least the killer has a nice mask and we get a few good kils. Also, extra half star for a young Christopher Allport (Jack Frost and one of Scully's exes) and William Sanderson who would also be on the X-Files, ironically playing somebody who's afraid of blood.

Death Screams 1982 ★★★

Death Screams is a fun little eighties slasher. It starts of promising with a good kill on the standard couple on Lovers lane. How anybody can be comfortable doing that on a motorbike is beyond me, but okay.

It then does the standard character introduction and only treats the viewer to a sparse few kills here and ther, just enough to keep us going. Noteworthy here is how the few kills, like the one with the arrow and the plastic bag, are executed well enough to make up for that sparseness. Also, we get a believable group of friends (though I'm not exactly sure what Kasey is supposed to be), which is not always common in a slasher, and some comic relief, like the kissing booth at the fair.

It's only at the end that the makers go all out with decaptations and dismemberments galore. And revealing the identity of the killer, even though it's not as much of an “ehmagerd” moment as perhaps hoped for.

Three stars. Fun little addition for your slasher collection.

I Eat Your Skin 1971 ★˝

Wooden acting, swimming goggle zombies, lame story,... One Ed Wood will do, thank you very much.
SAVAGE WEEKEND was a good little flick, with some very strange moments.
DEATH SCREAMS was OK, nothing more.
I believe I EAT YOUR SKIN came out in the 60's and got it's name being paired with the wild I DRINK YOUR BLOOD (1971). Your rating of IEYS is dead on...it was particularly wretched.

NORMAN...IS THAT YOU? (1976).>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SPOILERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > Taking a break from SANFORD AND SON, Redd Foxx plays a curmudgeon

(really, did He play anything else but), who after his wife/business partner runs
off with her Brother-In-Law decides to make a surprise visit to his son and finds out, to his horror, that said handsome son is gay! The rest of the film involves Redd trying to "cure" his son and even the runaway wife (Pearl Bailey) shows up to help. NITY may have worked better as a sitcom episode and there's a lot of slow scenes that really don't do much. Also, Dennis Dugan (He was an actor in MASH,SHADOW CHASERS and also film director) is SO flaming that He's a caricature from the beginning...think of a more over the top Paul Lynde. There is some interesting cast members here like Jayne Meadows, Wayland Flowers (along with his puppet Madame), Sergio Aragones (MAD magazine artist), Tamara Dobson (CLEOPATRA JONES, CHAINED HEAT) and Michael Warren (HILL STREET BLUES and current Father-In-Law to Jessica Alba). Like many 70's comedies, it's got moments, but has not aged well. **