View Single Post
Old 03-03-2024, 11:08 AM
Evil Dead

Black Mirror: San Junipero 2016 ★★★★

At first, the mood in this episode reminded me of a short story by Ray Bradbury. Something about people time travelling to escape a war. Can't remember the title.

It then turns into this love story and, while not as dark as some of the previous stories, does still hint at the time travelling aspect. All while unfolding a charming love story.

This, again, is where BM's major strength kicks in. Once you get your “twist” (it was old people travelling in VR all along), one character delivers a powerful monologue about things like choice, dealing with pain, euthanasia and eternal life. Leaving the viewer stunned. It then tacks on a happy ending, from where I stand partly still to counter the bleakness of the previous episode.

Excellent writing and very good cast nonetheless. Four stars well deserved.

Bella Mafia 1997 ★★

An epic mob tale of murder, betrayal, revenge, a whole bunch of arranged marriages and a lot of drama. In just under two hours.

One star for the idea of having women run a mob family. Add a half for Jennifer Tilly as the comic relief. And a half more for Vanessa Redgrave as the mater familias. Dennis also does his usual shtick here.

The rest feels so fucking rushed. Give me some to breathe, movie. It hardly takes time to flesh out the characters. It's just kill after marriage after kill. With a venging angel with such a cartoonish psycho look it becomes funny.

This should have been a (mini) series.

Night Swim 2024 ★★

PG13 horror with all the flaws that come with the territory.

A few good visuals earn the second star, but Blumhouse can do and has done better.

Desolation 2016 ★★˝

Okay for a found footage.

Okay tension wise. You can tell the makers took a cue from the hands on the wall in Blair Witch. Also liked the shots of the nurse, they looked okay.

Half star extra for the last shot with the straightjacket.