View Single Post
Old 12-15-2003, 08:24 PM
Shadow Puppet Mastermind

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Ok, so when you actually read what I wrote than you might understand that what I said was directed at the marketers and in this case New Line Cinema. When they marketed it as "Inspired By" and put out press kits with "evidence they obtained", they are trying to make you think it actually happened. What you said about them using part or one thousandth of a part of the story is just like what I said about saying it was inspired by Hawaiians because the movie had people in it. "Aliens" was inspired by a true story, the story of Henry Ford because he made a car that had metal in it and their ship was made of metal. My point was that they stretched and bent the idea, and than tried to push it like it was true. And yes, there are people who still think the movie was true. When it came out, loads of people believed it happened and to this day still do.

http://horror.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1968

Go down to Grappler5

My arguement was about the marketing in that case. The rest of my review was about the problems in the movie.
The same for The Exorcist or The Amittyville Horror. Movies that used the 'Based on a true story' tag-line. I have the The Excorcist novel by William Peter Blatty, he didn't mention about it being true.