View Single Post
Old 10-13-2007, 09:02 AM
For Vendetta

Hammerfan tries to scream, but a deep voice whispers "Shhhh...!" into her ears. She turns her head slightly to see ___V___ behind her looking intently beyond the gates. She heaves a small breath of relief and nods, and ___V___ unwraps his hand from her mouth and points over her shoulder at the gate sign.

You Are Not Welcome

Hammerfan looks on confused, and suddenly becomes aware of soft growls all around her. She turns around to ___V___, but he is not there. In a fit of panic, she wipes her face off the pouring rain and looks around. ___V___ is already near the gate, and he gestures at her to come forward. Hammerfan starts, then suddenly hobbles...losing her balance. ___V___ is beside her in a swift second, holding her up...and putting one of her hands around his shoulders, walks forward to the gate, supporting her.

Hammerfan (in-between hobbles): D-do you think we w-w-will be able to f-find someone out here?

___V___ (quietly): Not someone. Some-thing.

Hammerfan looks at him for a panicky moment, hoping for a more detailed answer, but the sharp pain of her leg drives that thought out of her mind. She hobbles on forward supported by ___V___ to the gate, and both of them look inside.

The gates cover a tattered shed beyond it, and between rows of trees and shrubbery, a long path leads to the desolate mansion...which itself was huge, stretching into the dark sky...totally shrouded in darkness without a single light.

___V___: We have to go in. The wolves are everywhere.

Hammerfan (looking around her fearfully): D-d-did they get alk-kytrio and Vamp-pp-piricClown?

___V___ (calmly): No. Something else got them.

Hammerfan turns to ___V___ with wild terror in her eyes, but ___V___ is watching something beyond the gates.

___V___: Let's go in. It's safe...for now.

___V___ tries to pull the gates open, but they dont budge too much. He tries pushing it, but the gates stop slightly ahead again. Just then he notices the chain at the bottom of the gates. He grabs a rung and pulls, and the chain comes loose. Hammerfan watches open-mouthed as ___V___ pushes the gates forward and they open out wide with a loud CREAK.

Hammerfan (very nervously): How did you open that thick chain?

___V___ does not answer, but keeps looking around them. He helps Hammerfan inside, and closes the gates behind him. Then they walk to the porch of the mansion, and ___V___ walks over to the main door, looking around.

The mansion itself looks very eerie, partially hidden by huge trees and shrubs which have outgrown it on all sides. A long corridor separates the porch and the outer door, which stretches on all sides. A single window beside the door looks shut, but the glass on it is cracked. ___V___ tries the door which does not budge from its place, then turns around to Hammerfan.

___V___: Wait here. I'll be back.

Hammerfan nods, rubbing her shoulders, shivering. ___V___ disappears from sight for a few seconds, then the front door's bolts are turned back, and it opens with a loud CLANG!, which resonates inside the dark mansion.

Hammerfan (trying to peer into the darkness): ___V___?

The rain keeps pouring down outside, and a slow but vicious snarl comes from near the door. Hammerfan cant see anything, and suddenly a bright light breaks the darkness in front of her. A stranger stands in front of her, holding a lantern in his hands. He looks quite old and wrinkled.

Hammerfan: Who are you?

Stranger (in an old, cackling voice): I am the caretaker of this place. My name is neverending. And who might you be, lass?

Hammerfan (shivering): I am Hammerfan. I got caught in this terrible storm after ditching my stagecoach. Can I get shelter for the night?

neverending looks at her from head to toe, and shakes his head slightly.

neverending: You might...if you choose to ignore the night sounds this place makes.

Hammerfan: Night sounds? What kind?

neverending: You will know. Anyone else with you?

Hammerfan: There was another person who helped me to here, ___V___. He went looking for another entrance to the inside.

neverending: Come on in then. He will find his way in too.

Hammerfan shivers for a couple moments, but too tired and leg hurting, asks no more and hobbles inside. Neverending shuts the door behind her. Hammerfan looks around her, and by the feeble light the lantern offers, sees that she is standing in some sort of a gigantic hall...which has a spiral staircase right in-between which is split into two taperings at the ground floor. A huge chandelier hangs in between the hall, and the staircase leads to further parts of the mansion. Beyond it, rows of rooms can be seen. Also, doors on either side of the hall are visibly apparent.

Hammerfan: Wow! This is a big place. You live all alone here?

Hammerfan turns around, and finds the lantern on a table beside her. Neverending has disappeared!