View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Can you dig it ?

It was the way it was said that implies it and to me that made Freddy much more darker and sinister, esp after some sequels that made him a wise-cracking character. People seem to have forgotten that he was a child killer to begin with (and maybe/ maybe not a child molester as we are debating). There is something wrong when the audience was later rooting for him to kill uppity teens for a bigger, better body count to hear one liners. The original was bad ass since it didn't pander to that nonsense and I feel that is why it is a classic.
I somehow missed 'Freddy vs Jay and Silent Bob'. I'm guessing this wasn't considered a part of the franchise like the 'Halloween' movies we were later supposed to ignore since they didn't fit the timeline (or the fact that Jamie Lee returning to the series would bring back fans en masse).
Bottom line is there is nothing wrong with the original 'Elm St' movie (except the ending in my opinion). Remake something that tanked, wasn't scary, and would actually be better off remade if studios insist on this trend. They're already working their way from the top of the list down so no surprise if it gets to that. I guess they start remaking the remakes next that didn't bring in top dollar the first time around (ala 'Black Christmas', 'The Omen', 'When A Stranger Calls'). You have to wonder what the executives ever watch in their spare time to greenlight these messes and seriously think it's a good idea for anyone.
CK