View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 07:51 AM
That fucking Guy...

Toys remembered...

I never had a shitload of toys, but I did alright.
I remember having a lot of water pistols, and things that shot rubber darts.

Had a few transformers, and a fair few he-mans. I liked those, but not especially.
I had one he-man badguy that had a button on his back, and it looked like blood was pumping through his chest when you pressed it. The He-man I had, you put ring caps in it, and when you twisted his torso one way and let go in a "punch" motion, the cap would go off. It was great.

Another couple of things I really liked were seldom purchased at toy stores.
Sometimes you'd get 'em in bubblegum dispenser type machines - the sticky slapping hand things, or the "pop" cap type dealys that bounced.
You could get these other things usually at fairs/fates/carnivals, you could get them as prizes usually - a little guy you threw up in the air and he came down in a parachute. Loved 'em.
There was also the little thing you held, pulled the rip cord, and it would launch a flying propeller with a ring around it? I remember removing that ring and firing it towards people, it cut this one kids face.

Aside from lego/mechano, which are a given cool thing to play with, I really liked a couple of toy like things I had...more like electronics, but hey.
One was called the "Armatron" from radio shack - Did anyone here ever play with one of these? You could only really pick shit up and move it around but I felt like it took some skill to master and it was a really enjoyable thing to use.

Another thing I had, and I can't for the life of me remember the name or what exactly it looked like, but it was a remote control robot. No moving limbs or anything it was a little rolling thing on tank type tracks, bit like R2D2 kinda thing but smaller and I seem to recall it having a dark see-thru plastic type dome head. Pretty small, could fit under a standard bucket.
The thing about this robot was, well the cool thing I thought, was that you could also speak into the remote control similar to a walkie talkie, and the robot would speak your words. Any info on what this thing was would be helpful, I would really like to get another, I have no idea where the first one went, although I do recall my grandmother didn't much like some of the things it was saying.

I got one more. I once knew a kid who went on holidays to singapore or somewhere 'round there, and bought back (this is like 18 years ago at least) a plastic ball, a little smaller than a basketball, and yeah, it was a remote controlled ball. It didn't go real fast, but it looked like some great fun...
Anyone ever come across one of these? Do you know where to obtain them?
'Cos yeah I've looked, seems pretty hard.

A few things I always thought looked fun were those glider planes with the wind up rubber band propellers, and of course the model rockets with blast caps, never got around to using either of those.

So toys,
What were your favourites, why?