View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 10:58 AM
HDC Idol

Now, mind you, when I think "Scary," I think "made me jump..."

When I think "Scariest Foreign Movies," I think:

ASIAN HORROR
  • Ringu - The original film was really damn creepy; even though I had seen the remake first and knew the story, there were some scenes that still totally creeped me out. The remake was crap and not scary at all; it felt like a bad "thriller"
  • Ju-On - Definitely a creepy film (though TBH I liked the remake better; I feel as though director Shimizu was able to add an editing eye to his original film when he moved it overseas
  • Rinne - Also an underrated creepy little JA movie by Shimizu - This is definitely a gem
  • Shutter - Great jumpy little Asian gem - Doesn't really do anything new in terms of Asian ghost movies, but it had some parts that made me jump (plus I watched it alone in a hotel room, which I'm sure added to the affect)
  • The Maid - Not a perfect film, but I thought it was well done and I actually really liked the insight into the Chinese Hungry Ghost festival

I can go on and on about Miike and Chan-wook Park, but the question is about "scares," so...

FRENCH HORROR
  • Inside - Really good home invasion/slasher film - Absolutely horrifying and I can't express how good this film was
  • Ils - Another good home invasion movie - Not as gory as Inside, but I found it quite suspenseful

Join my Facebook Horror Group!