View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 08:30 PM
Immortal horror fan

Night of the Demons (Remake) *

SOME SPOILERS

I barely remember watching the original. I don't think it was that good. Looking at parts of the movie on youtube, the only thing I barely remember is the Asian girl. I believe a member here showed me the kissing death scene too for a topic I created.

This remake starts off well. It has an old school vintage horror opening with a kill that's surprising. I heard of it happening before but we see it here in practice. Then it goes to present day New Orleans. They did good casting the actresses. The movie had me hooked from the moment Diora Baird is applying her sexy cat girl makeup. It also has Monica Keena from Freddy vs Jason. She's almost the same character or is perfecting her acting method here. Shannon Elizabeth and Bobbi Sue Luther finish off the good casting on the girls. Both dabbled in horror before. Bobbi Sue looks like she's going to explode out of her dress in the movie. One character mentions it too. Also in the movie is Edward Furlong. I haven't seen him in anything since Terminator 2. I just read a recent story about him getting into trouble for beating his girlfriend. Well, he plays a low end drug dealer in this movie. And really looks gone for much of the movie too. It's kind of funny.

The premise is basically the house has demons that come out on Halloween. Simple and handled well for the most part. But there are some small things that were disappointing. They could have worked on the environments more. Some of the group leave the house a few times. It could have been like the first Resident Evil videogame with paths and a fountain or something. This is New Orleans and there is a lot of old architectural details down there. They did give the house an underground tunnel which was fairly interesting.

I didn't like the demon designs that much. The main one is the best. There were a few uninspired zombie like creatures. A Medusa like creature with tentacles which was a real missed opportunity. I've seen some wild stuff with tentacle monsters and Night of the Demons doesn't even come close. The skull monster is kind of scary. But something horrible happens to a pretty girl for the monster to reveal itself.

Also, Diora Baird has a sex scene with her top on. No guy in the world would keep her top on. I remember a popular actress mentioning once that sex scenes with tops on pulled her out of movies. But this could be explained away as the guy is a bisexual demon and into backdoor practices. Anyway, she does get a wild topless scene later in the movie. I think Shannon Elizabeth became known for a topless scene in that American Pie movie. I've never seen it. But no topless for her here. Just a wild bottle scene. And a good scene with her in a spinning room. I liked that one a lot.

This probably could have been a classic with a little more thought on the creature design/environment and some better guy characters. But I'll still add it to my horror collection one day.

* Disclaimer. I was drinking while watching this movie. And all of the actresses, who are already very pretty, are wearing fishnets. Which is more than a plus in my book.

Last edited by ImmortalSlasher; 03-28-2013 at 08:33 PM.