View Single Post
Old 04-26-2014, 05:47 AM
Drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
Long time Star Wars fans will probably have some sort of vague recollections of creator George Lucas mentioning the possibility of the Star Wars saga including three sets of trilogies, for nine movies in total.
My first recollection is of 9 films which I actually read in print. Later on, I heard tell that, after Star Wars, Lucas met with several key people and spent 2-3 day telling them the 12 part story in case he should die before they were all made. Never found a ref for that one.

On the Empire DVD special features, there is an interview with Lucas and Leonard Maltin. In it, Lucas states it was always a 3-triology 9-part tale modeled entirely after opera-styled story-telling.

Lucas said in that interview that all 9 stories were about Anakin Skywalker. He said the first three were Anakin's rise to power, the second three were his fall from grace, but when he got to the last three he only paused and said something like "There's just so much to tell." and dropped it.

And I've heard it claimed most often he said there was only ever six.

I think Harry Potter succeeded as it did because it became progressively darker & more mature in content. Rowling knew her audience would continue to age & grow up in between each book.

Lucas, on the other hand, seems to think his audience remains eight years of age. He needs to be not involved in any more films & as long as he is, fans should only expect disappointment.