View Single Post
Old 10-13-2018, 08:58 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoneus1957 View Post
Father of mystery? There are a lot of classic mystery movies that were made before we ever heard of Hitchcock, like The Cabinet and the Canary.

Every time they find an old story which they think is the oldest detective story, somebody finds an older one. It's like trying to trace the origin of baseball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
The only one I've seen is Psycho and bits of The Birds (I really need to sit down and watch the whole movie).
I mostly hear Hitchcock called the 'Master of Suspense'. He does that well. To a fair extent suspense in a film is due to the film direction (as opposed to the written story, assuming it wasn't an originally a screenplay). Hitchcock didn't write his films, so we certainly give him due credit as a director.

Anyway, Luv, so you've only seen Psycho and bits of the Birds? Cool, you're in for lots of cinema treats with Hitchcock's films. I'd recommend watching 'Rope (1948)'. It was written for stage, and Hitchcock does a good job making it into a film. It's still very stagey, but in a good way. It's suspenseful for sure, but it also has a good message.

My favorite Hitchcock is 'Dial M for Murder (1954)'. It's suspenseful too, but also a mystery, it's a thinker, you get to figure out how and why while you're watching the film, which is fairly rare in film.

A lot of Hitchcock's films have horror elements to them, and I tend to only recommend Dial M, Rope, Psycho and Birds.

Lots of people tend to like his other classics a bit more than I do... I enjoyed all of these, but a bit of a mixed bag: Vertigo, The 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes, Rear Window, Rebecca, To Catch a Thief, North by Northwest.