View Single Post
Old 06-16-2018, 03:07 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoneus1957 View Post
Keanu Reeves has learned to act a little since "Bill and Ted's excellent adventure" but I still think his performance as Jonathan Harker was pathetic.

One interesting think about Anthony Hopkins's performance is that he tried to talk kind of like Van helsing does in the book. The only other actor, to my knowledge, who tried to do that is Frank Finlay, in the tv movie of Dracula that starred Louis Jourdan

Hee hee! I remember that when Bram Stoker's Dracula came out, some critics praised it for its faithfulness to the book, proving that they had not read the book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeg Head1 View Post
Keanu Reeves' acting in Dracula is absolutely atrocious. That guy is really hit or miss, with about a 50% success rate! Thumbsucker was really the first movie that I thought...oh hey, he can act! Just not all the time.
Keanu plays Harker very straight-laced, subdued, a model of self-control -- perhaps an architype of the era and setting -- which I thought was, in principle, authentic. Did he lack acting range when it was required? Maybe... but I don't remember being lost as to where Harker was in thought and feeling when I watched the film.

In fact, I found Reeves more memorable and accessible than David Manners was in Dracula (1931) -- but considering my criticism of Manners in my Dracula review, that isn't a ringing endorsement of Reeves -- but does mark a trait of the Harker character himself. Who do we want to play Harker, Chris Tucker?

Last edited by Sculpt; 06-16-2018 at 03:10 PM.