View Single Post
Old 03-12-2019, 11:06 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
Yeah the one with Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman, Sam Rockwell?
Galaxy Quest.
I actually loved that myself, and I think it's both a good piss-take on relevance/ego and sci-fi shows we've all seen.
It was maybe...one of the best spoofs I've ever seen.
Simple. Entertaining.
I guess if it's along similar lines, that could be part of the appeal, for me at least.

In my mind, the "funny" part of Orville, that being most of the first season, probably isn't as good as Galaxy Quest was. It could be just me, but...bit of a high bar.

The "non-funny/darker" part of the show that seems to be striving to just be a competent sci-fi show with occasional laughs, I'd say is...hmm...I really loved Galaxy Quest...maybe not just as good? But good.
Galaxy Quest. That's it. Maybe I just don't like Star Trek spoofs that much. They seem to be made to make fun of people who like Star Trek. Even Shatner is in on the jokes some times. I remember he also made a cop joke show with Eddie Murphy and Robert De Niro

But I think there are more Star Trek joke shows than Star Wars. Even though both movies series are kind of an in joke now. I don't like the new Star Wars movies. And I've seen the two recent Star Trek movies and I'm not that fond of those either. I'll check out Star Trek Beyond one day but I'm not in a hurry to see it. From what I understand, the performance of that movie + the money demands from the actors potentially shut down the next Star Trek movie.

Perhaps it's just that the themes or feel of the original show & Next Generation bored people who thought they were too smart for that sort of thing. But they are supposed to be moral tales and you never really get too old or smart for those. If so, we wouldn't be fighting wars and having so many pointless political conflicts.

But anyway, I'm old enough to remember Deep Space Nine and how they wanted to show a part of the Star Trek universe that wasn't "perfect" or something to that nature. I never really watched Voyager. I thought it was kind of silly that they found an actress with big boobs to wear a skin tight suit. And that was another show that wanted to show conflict in the Federation and had the guy with Native American tattoos as part of some off shoot group.

I thought Enterprise was a joke in that I remember they didn't even want to put the Star Trek name in the titles at first. Like they wanted a different audience. I only watched a few episodes of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
STAR TREK DISCOVERY.

I'm sorry but did anyone fucking NOT love this episode?
Cements which "universe" this show takes place in (original timeline, cool), and just...it's giving Pike a chance to shine, which aside from short spurts, he's never really had before...and Anson Mount is cast perfectly in my mind.

The actual "previously on Star Trek" footage of the original pilot "The Cage" put a huge grin on my face...and going back to Talos IV...wow.
Anyone who knows their ST knows "what happens in the end" with Pike and Talos IV which is probably one of the nicest and most well done write-offs of a fucked over character in history - but to see the trio and Vena again, was very cool.

...and of course, the inevitable clash between Tyler (which in my mind is one of the most interesting characters in Star Trek history) and the "reborn" Culber didn't disappoint - in fact, the little guy got his fucking shots in, didn't he?
Then in the end, to see how just...lost...both of the characters are in their own skin...kinda sad...but yeah, very well played out scene.

I'm a little tired of seeing how many "Star Trek purists" attack this show...yet something like Enterprise was embraced...it's like, I'm just happy to have Star Trek on tv again. So many nitpickers.
I want to see Star Trek Discovery eventually. I saw the the original trailer and it looked pretty good. I heard it was going to be different than the new movies which was a good thing to me. And Michelle Yeoh is in it so at least she should have a good character.