View Single Post
Old 04-14-2015, 05:57 AM
Evil Dead

I'm not gonna put really well-known movies because chances are, most people here have seen them. I think all of them are available on Netflix.

Exam - A really intense and unpredictable thriller about 8 people locked in a room who are trying to find the answer to a question they don't know in order to get a prestigious job. The scope is limited to just the one room, and a lot of the thrills come from the dialogue and characters' interactions. It's of my favorite thrillers.

The Den - Probably one of the scariest movies I've ever seen, which might be because it hits so close to home in my generation. The Den takes place entirely on a laptop, and it's about a woman who witnesses a murder on a chat roulette site. It goes off the deep end a little bit at the end, but it's still a really effective and memorable movie.

Absentia - This one is directed by Mike Flanagan, who directed Oculus, so if you liked that, you'll probably like Absentia. It's about a widow whose husband went missing 9 years ago, and he suddenly comes back, claiming that a monster in a nearby tunnel is responsible for his absence. Absentia is a good example of what's come to be known as "quiet horror", where not much really happens, but the dark themes make up most of the scares.

Pontypool - A zombie movie with a really bizarre twist. Pontypool isn't particularly scary, but it's definitely original and quiet intense. This takes place entirely inside a radio station, so a lot of the action is only heard over a speaker and not actually shown in the movie until the last act. It starts out very slowly, but you definitely want to stick out the first half. The movie takes a 180 and becomes really intense very quickly, so the slow start is worth it.

Grand Piano - Out of all of Elijah Wood's movies (except Lord of the Rings, obviously), this is my favorite of his. Grand Piano is about a famous pianist who has to play a nearly impossible piece without messing up or else he'll get shot in front of a huge audience. You're going to have to suspend your disbelief quite a few times throughout, so if you're looking for realism, skip this one. Grand Piano is perfectly over-the-top while not being too campy. It's suspenseful, unpredictable, and really fun to watch.

Last edited by horcrux2007; 06-07-2015 at 07:05 PM.