View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 02:40 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Death Bell

Set in a school among a class of "elite students" that are being killed off one by one in various grisly methods, for some unknown reason.

This is the first Asian film I've watched that didn't thoroughly enthrall me. I found it to be rather mundane, though it was well acted and directed,. It just didn't capture my imagination. It didn't have the layers of subtext I'm used to discovering in Asian cinema.
Oh, that's just a decent slasher with some SAW flavor.

You should check out the following...I'm not assuring completely but at least some of them will give you some good hour of entertainment as well as 'something' to think about:

• Cold Fish
  • The Chaser
  • I saw the devil
  • Our Town
  • Revenge: A Love story
  • The Unjust
  • Princess Aurora

The interesting thing is you may see a trend in the recent Asian movies...particularly in Korean films: the rising genre of Serial Killer films. Few months back I tried to do some online research to find out why there are so many movies about serial killer are coming now from Asia...(particularly Korea) today? We only know about 2 films that inspired by real life serial killer cases (Memories of Murder & The Chaser) but what's the actual reasons for the film makers that's inspiring them to go with this genre more often? Is there really any social context or scenario of serial killers in Korea that made some sort of affects on cinema??

At first I couldn't find any single article about this particular topic. But I even tried to make a contact (via e-mail & facebook) with Dr. Colette Balmain, who is a Senior Lecturer in Film Studies at Buckinghamshire New University, UK and the author of An Introduction to Japanese Horror Film (I wish I could buy it). But I guess she didn't feel comfortable to discuss or spoil the subject matter as she is currently writing her second book which is a history of Korean horror film under the working title..."South Korean Horror Cinema: history, memory and Identity (Fisher Imprints: 2012)".

Anyway, then I visited some Asian online forums where people mostly like to discuss about Asian cinema (particularly Japanese, Korean, Chinese & Thai movies) and I raised this question there. In only one forum there are some nice fellas who finally gave me some ideas.

Last edited by roshiq; 09-30-2011 at 10:30 AM.