View Single Post
Old 05-08-2018, 09:54 PM
Immortal horror fan

The Mummy 2017 -

I finally watched this Mummy reboot and beginning (end) to the Dark Universe. What made me watch it was seeing Russell Crowe's recent auction of his movie items. Even though he was selling them he really seemed to love movies and stories behind the items. I decided it was time to see his performance in The Mummy.

I originally thought it would be an action movie and I wasn't surprised when that's what I got. What I was surprised by is that they thought this was the best way to start a Dark Universe and the odd comedic moments throughout the movie. Also the small hints to other classic Universal Monsters which I thought wasn't the best way to introduce them. Someone who truly likes these monsters could do so much more given the budget and a handful of movies to tie together. I just felt a lack of creativity and that it was a movie of action sequences with a few bits of dialog to explain the story as they progressed.

I thought the best thing was the plane sequence but Tom Cruise likes to do those real things for movies. We've seen the vomit comet in movies before but it's still a good scene in this movie. The lead actress is beautiful. I've seen her in a few movies and TV shows before. But this could have been a real timeless type role for her with a better director. I checked the official posters galleries and she didn't even make any of them which is disappointing. In fact you would think there would be some classic styled posters for the beginning of this series considering those notable old posters but I didn't see any. The actress who plays the Mummy is good but again with a better director and script she could be far better and iconic. I did like Russell Crowe's character. Perhaps it would have been better to start the whole series with him as his character felt the closest in style and atmosphere to the classic monsters.

Overall it was a letdown. It didn't really suck as it was entertaining as most Tom Cruise movies are. And I'm still a fan even though I don't think he'll ever make a movie better than Top Gun. But it just should have been so much better. I didn't care about the ending scene or feel the need to see more adventures of this type or the next entry in the Dark Universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
I watched it years ago on the SciFi channel and I thought it was pretty good too. It did kind of remind me of the game Resident Evil 4 as well as another horror game called Siren. Both games were about a cult village where the residents turned into monsters just like in this movie. Maybe those games were inspired by the writings of H.P. Lovecraft too?
I think Siren is on my list to play one day. Game designers are influenced by all kinds of stuff so it's possible they were reading or watching another Lovecraft movie. I think it was the original Resident Evil that was influenced by Night of the Living Dead. There is a stairway in that game that is straight from the Night of the Living Dead remake. And Resident Evil Code Veronica has that bit from a popular Hitchcock movie without spoiling it if you haven't played that one.