View Single Post
Old 01-17-2019, 09:47 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
Are the other reviews all in this topic?

I do think halfway in when the atmosphere gets a bit brighter might hurt the movie a bit. Horror movies are always better at night. I'm talking specifically about those Paris scenes. But that's only a small part of the movie.
You can use the site's Search function, you can even have it search the movie title in just this thread. But I was referring to reviews on wiki and/or RT.

I think it's cool for a 2h15m film to change moods, settings, lighting and all... hard to stay dark for 2hrs+. But you probably have a point there. I think he went to Italy and then Paris, and there's daylight scenes. Overall things seemed to brighten and the threat level kept decreasing, things seemed more tongue-in-cheek spurred by the blonde young lady and Depp. I'm not sure if that was the tone Polanski was going for, but I don't think it ever switched away from that comical tone after that. Cary Grant and the femme fatale can comically banter in some Hitchcock films, but usually it's just a humorous respite, not a tone setter for the rest of the film.