View Single Post
Old 07-02-2020, 05:54 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
I just got Bloodstained a week ago. A buddy kind of pushed it on me. It's not a game I would have thought of myself. But I'm starting to get into the melee aspect of it.

When your Kickstarter items show up? What's your kickstarter? "Help me play Bloodstained"? Just read your Bloodstained OP... so Bloodstained is a kickstarter game? Didn't know that. Why do you have to wait? I bought it from Steam.
You don't know about Kickstarter?

Basically normal people, help start various projects that can't find money. It could be any thing from video games, board games, watches, fidget toys, etc. But in the case of these big video games, Bloodstained Ritual of the Night and Shenmue 3 were the two big ones a few years ago. For the most part, they use Kickstarter as a tool for interest free money without the usual investor protection. Then go to whatever publisher for the rest of the funding. We have this much money now help us the rest of the way.

The Kickstarter people are seen as "backers" not investors. Thus some bad stuff can happen. Such as receiving poor games or at times no game at all. Doesn't have to be games, any item.

Things change that were promised. It happened with Bloodstained over the difference between a slipcase and dust jacket. And even more stuff like things being backer exclusive.

Late "rewards" or "goodies" even though in Kickstarter these things are basically sold as pre-order items. Give us this amount of money and you'll get this item. Not give us this amount of investment money without protection and you might get this item, once we fulfill our obligation to our publisher and make money selling the video game to the larger market. Of course, the game is the real focus and getting it to sell well. So rewards, goodies, or extras for "backers" usually arrive late in the majority of the projects I've seen. Instead of first, since those "backers" are responsible for the project even existing in the first place.

I could go on. But I wouldn't recommend Kickstarter anymore unless the person or company is small and really can't find money. The majority of projects I've seen are released anyway. And unless the item offered on Kickstarter is really special. I have the signed Bloodstained edition which is cool for me because I like the director and music composer. But other than that, there is no reason to risk your money on people that could be scammers or that will have more obligation to their other investors over the people that really started the project.

Last edited by ImmortalSlasher; 07-02-2020 at 05:57 PM.