View Single Post
Old 11-23-2020, 06:15 AM
Pirate of Bengal

In the House (2012)

Germain is a bored professor who finds most of his students clumsy & untalented. Then he becomes infatuated with one of his students, Claude...mainly with his story like essays, which are about how he got a way into his classmate, Rapha’s house & family life. And what begins as a one-off weekend assignment for literature class, escalates with great infatuation when Germaine detects flashes of talent and decides to groom Claude on his “To Be Continued…” stories.

I haven’t seen much French director Francois Ozon’s works before, not at least in recent times; so this turned out to be quite a pleasant surprise. Ozon’s IN THE HOUSE is a pretty interesting thriller with a solid cast that will hook you up from the very beginning with its tight script, suspicious characters & engaging turn of events. The film comes with multilayered themes i.e. a young man’s infatuation for a “perfect suburban, family life”, a writer’s voyeuristic & desperate nature in pursuit for a “complete story” and losing morals or even much more along the way at the end.

The thing that I mostly enjoyed in this film was the way Ozon keeps his audience in a dilemma between ‘original’ & ‘fake’…what parts of this “real” characters are actually “fictional”?! Or is it all someone’s twisted mind playing around or not?! That’s why though I was expecting some twists & turns & little more ambiguity or mystery at the end but still the way Ozon concluded everything I think that’s what made it a different experience than other genre films with similar kind of premise & characters.

>>: A-