View Single Post
Old 01-24-2017, 10:55 AM
Horror > Everything

SPOILERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS:::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
MoreS'ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Interesting post, UDW. I really enjoy It's Alive and I have since I saw it at the drive-in when it first was released. Pretty sure I was well under age and I thank my parents for their rare lapse in judgement.
I think the Character, Frank(enstein) Davis has to do some pretty awful things in the movie, so he has a strike against him from the jump. No dude who has to hunt down and kill his own baby is going to win any Father off the Year award, nor will he make fans of movie goers.
I do think the film maker, Larry Cohen does make an effort to show Frank's likeable traits, his affection for his son and his sense of humor, for instance. But he doesn't want seem awfully sensitive to his wife's feelings at all, and his absolute lack of grace under pressure only serves to make the horrible Killer Baby situation that much worse. I guess my answer would be no, Frank Davis isn't a sympathetic or likable character.
That said, I think the character's likability is hampered by the actor who plays him. I can attest to John Ryan's talent, as I've seen him in dozens of solid parts over the years, but I don't find it particularly pleasant to watch him perform. I'm not saying every fan finds him kind of...weasely and...I don't know, mottled? but I don't like his damn face!

And not fer nuthin, but I love Angst. One of our regs, Deadbeat At Dawn recommended it and I was blown away.
I absolutely agree, a powerful film.

Last edited by Repo'd; 01-24-2017 at 11:13 AM.